• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

x19er

x19er

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Franciso, Blade III

You can use the link in the original post for Samba. :)

Cheers.

Perfect, thanks. Just signed up.

Zarch1972

Zarch1972

Diehard

• Senior News Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Husband, Dad, Wednesdayite and Geek!
  • Devices:iPhone 5S, Nexus 7, Chromebook
  • Twitter:@Zarch1972
Got this from Ovivo this morning

More Free Minutes and Texts for OVIVO Phone Freedom Customers!

We are happy to announce that we have increased the free minutes and texts for all OVIVO Phone Freedom customers! Now, each month, you will receive:

150 Free Minutes (Any Network)
150 Free Texts (Any Network)
400MB Free Data
Free OVIVO to OVIVO Calls and Texts outside of your free allowance
Any new customers signing up to our service, or those how have purchased a SIM card from us recently but not activated it yet, will automatically be on our new Price Plans.

Any customers who have been awarded an upgrade to their Price Plan as part of the OVIVO Loyalty Promotion, will also receive an additional 50 Minutes and 50 texts in their allowance.

All existing and activated customers will see the new allowances take effect the next time your free allowance resets.

The OVIVO Mobile Team

So an extra 50 mins and 50 texts for free......... Nice! :)

You can also follow Ovivo on twitter: @ovivomobile

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus 2x, Advent Vega

Good call....... well worth following them on Twitter too to get their announcements. (@SambaMobile)

:)

extended to 10am tomorrow now, their servers were useless so they've upgraded them which brought the site down so they've added time on to compensate

Also ovivo sent me a message this morning, I now get 150 texts and 150 minutes a month, an extra 50 free for no real reason, everyone using it should get the same treatment

Edited by everett_psycho, 28 February 2013 - 05:03 PM.

dilfred

dilfred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Fransisco
I have for some time now been using both the Samba and Ovivo data sims.
The saving/adding of Mb via Samba is good, though only possible on my PC. My tablet (Asus Infinity TF700) has the flash player issue, therefore cannot load the ads viewing page. But like most say, I simply have a separate tab open on my PC when I remember and add some credit in the background.
The Ovivo data (free 500) sim I have has been great also and takes a hammering first generally for Mb each month, and then should I need more, I eat into the Samba credit.

It is useful having both sims also as they are different networks. I cannot get 3 network at work, so the Ovivo is the only solution, likewise at home Ovivo does not connect at full speed onto my dongle, so I use the Samba sim. Though not much point as at home, so can use my wifi lol.

All in all, a great solution for free broadband on my tablet (and mobile) via my mifi dongle.

For information, I bought a 2nd hand Huawei E585 off an auction site and unlocked it myself, which works great.

If anyone wants a sim, then PM me and i'll happily send a recommendation link for either network (and GiffGaff also) and hopefully get us both a bit of free credit.

lineone

lineone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:OSF - KonstaT 2.3.5
it works!
my allowance reset today right on que.
luv it :)

Zarch1972

Zarch1972

Diehard

• Senior News Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

it works!
my allowance reset today right on que.
luv it :)

Yes, a nice warm feeling all-round. I still can't believe its free and there is no catch? :)

TangerineTractor

TangerineTractor

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
I've got a t-mobile contract - a tenner a month, unlimited texts, unlimited data and 500 mins calls. If you but a smartphone from t-mobile they automatically let you pick an addon, so choose the unlimted data. It's a two year contract, so I get a new lowish spec handset every two years too. Sell the phone boxed up on ebay for £100, and you've effectively got unlimited data for a fiver a month over two years.
This is done through t-mobile business - do it on the phone, tell them you're a self-employed consultant. Business accounts get free voicemail, and better handset support, so if you're using their phone, ring them up after about ten months, say it's faulty, and they ship you a new/refurbished one.

I'm saving up for a sofa so I can sit in the other room and tweak my phone without my wife nagging... thanks!

lineone

lineone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i don't like contracts, ebay, tmobile or being deceitful to obtain that deal.
i prefer honesty, payg, vodafone and the word FREE :)

I've got a t-mobile contract - a tenner a month, unlimited texts, unlimited data and 500 mins calls. If you but a smartphone from t-mobile they automatically let you pick an addon, so choose the unlimted data. It's a two year contract, so I get a new lowish spec handset every two years too. Sell the phone boxed up on ebay for £100, and you've effectively got unlimited data for a fiver a month over two years.
This is done through t-mobile business - do it on the phone, tell them you're a self-employed consultant. Business accounts get free voicemail, and better handset support, so if you're using their phone, ring them up after about ten months, say it's faulty, and they ship you a new/refurbished one.

lineone

lineone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
samba saves the day!
my virgin broadband is down as i write so i'm writing this using my samba card in my old mobile phone as a dongle.
speed is 2.7mb allowing very good browsing speed.
plusnet home broadband speed in my area is 1.8mb!
no brainer :)

Zarch1972

Zarch1972

Diehard

• Senior News Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
lineone is fast becoming Samba's no.1 fan. ;)

lineone

lineone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
i luv 'em both:)
just maxed out the samba ads whilst watching tv over the last hour or so.
credit stands at 948mb.
500mb add on for your payg 3 costs £5
why would you not want this?

lineone is fast becoming Samba's no.1 fan. ;)

Mr.Clark

Mr.Clark

Ninja

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013
I still think it's too good to be true. That said, I ported my number to Ovivo last Friday. No issues thus far *touch wood*. Their mobile site is good for tracking usage as well, although I do kind of miss the little GiffGaff popups I got at the end of every call and after sending a text, telling me my balance.

dwarfcoach

dwarfcoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, BlackBerry PlayBook
  • Twitter:@dwarfcoach
Great, useful thread. I signed up with Ovivo and have had no complaints. Even paid for some extra mb when I wanted to stream something and couldn't wait, felt good to pay a little start-up company a couple of quid for a decent service, especially as I plan on only using the free 500mb allowance for the foreseeable future.

Seems they're hiring new directors or some such business, not too sure if that's just to give potential customers comfort but I hope they manage to stay afloat for some time to come as I use a mi-fi device for my sim and have never seen any Ovivo adverts... Oh well, if it's working don't hex it I suppose :-)

dwarfcoach

dwarfcoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
My Free Data allowance reset standard, no problems. Happy days, Ovivo working well with no worries (or additional adverts) to speak of! Their site itself is getting a little 'advert-intensive' but that's nothing for free mb each month...

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Ohhhh ovivo has upped the allowance again, up to 150 minutes and 200 texts, internet remains the same though with 400mb for phone plans and 500mb for data plans. They also seem to have added monthly tariffs, of you can add these on a monthly basis it could be a really useful spare that can be topped up should you need a month with extra data or calls

Mr.Clark

Mr.Clark

Ninja

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013

Ohhhh ovivo has upped the allowance again, up to 150 minutes and 200 texts, internet remains the same though with 400mb for phone plans and 500mb for data plans. They also seem to have added monthly tariffs, of you can add these on a monthly basis it could be a really useful spare that can be topped up should you need a month with extra data or calls

I still don't understand how they're making money off me...

Edited by Mr.Clark, 15 April 2013 - 11:48 AM.

everett_psycho

everett_psycho

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I still don't understand how they're making money off me...

I would love to see their business plan, if I went in to a bank and said I want to offer people free mobile phone use for £10 for life I'm fairly sure I'd be laughed out the for before I even got to the manager

dwarfcoach

dwarfcoach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
They've changed the set up again for Ovivo. You can't buy top-up 'Ovivo Packs' anymore for when you've used up your free allowance, you can either pay for extra per minute/text/mb you use from money on your account or (and this is what they are encouraging) sign up for their pay-per-month deals. All very reasonable deals but you just can't beat free now, can you?

I fear this company will not be around by this time next year but whilst they are around I'm gonna grab the free data whilst th going is good...

lineone

lineone

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
monthly packs are way overpriced compared to giffgaff:
http://community.gif...es/ba-p/8283414
i suspect only freedom plan customers will stay with ovivo now and, obviously, that can't last.
for me it's decision time as i don't want any hassle with my mobile number if they do run into trouble.

Ribs85

Ribs85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4 16GB
Similar for me.

I've been an Ovivo customer for about a month and a half now. Was rather annoyed by the change away from the packs, as they were really helpful to buy data when we were away from home for any length of time.

Never saw a single advert when I was with them the whole time. I did play with Onavo (data compression app, uses VPN for this, so effectively, no ads would get through) for a while, and checked via Twitter that this would be okay. Ovivo said they had no problem with it, T&Cs also don't mention VPNs, so I suspect they have dropped the idea of adverts altogether.

Thankfully I was smart enough to e-mail them about my coverage problems at home from the start, and got a really healthy amount of time to port out *and* get a refund of unused credit. Which I've now done.

So now I'm moving to Three, as I want unlimited data, and giffgaff/O2's signal is a little shaky at home... So that's my phone sorted with a 30-day contract.

For Ovivo's flaws though... If I had decent signal at home, I'd have been tempted to stay, and even forfeit the unlimited data, as the customer service was excellent, and the price was right, for the most part.

When the new Nexus 7 comes out, I will be buying the 3G version, and shoving a sim card from Ovivo in it... Just 'cos I can!

Ovivo has it's place, but not for my main phone anymore, sadly.

Also got a Samba SIM, which is pretty good and works well with my MiFi device.

Nexus7 Mk2 with a Ovivo SIM, and Samba with a Mifi will be a killer combination for my time away from home and should guarantee good signal everywhere with a low price of £0/month.

Not bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users