Apps force-close unless I 'fix permissions' in CWM every boot - why?

Guest Geoff2

My problem is as the title says... It affects the majority, but not all of my apps (e.g. Browser, Maps, Games etc.) It's not a major problem for me as I can enable fast-boot as a workaround. However, I've obviously caused this problem myself with changes I've recently made to the phone so I'm curious as to what I've done wrong (and if it can be fixed.)

What I've done:

• Flashed Kyan's lightning ROM
  • Flashed Link2Int and moved all my apps to the 2GB internal memory. (This didn't go smoothly: it wasn't working and I made several attempts using the link2int removal zip and also trying the version for stock roms. Occasionally, when rebooting from clockwork, I got a warning/question which said something like: 'this will flash stock recovery - fix?' and sometimes I chose 'enable' and other times I chose 'disable.')
  • In order to get link2Int working, I also attempted to 'enable init.d' support by using a few apps such as 'Pimp my ROM' as well as flashing a couple of zips which were supposed to enable init.d (I've subsequently learned that it should already be enabled in the kernel I'm using.)
  • I'm using CWM 6.0.2.1
  • I'm on Paul's Kernel 3.0.8

1. Anyone got any guesses as to whether any of the above could have cause the problem?

2. I plan to reflash a ROM (when the next Lightning release is out) and I'll also apply the new Bootloader image. Is this likely to help? Would updating CWM help?

Guest mr_mufy

My problem is as the title says... It affects the majority, but not all of my apps (e.g. Browser, Maps, Games etc.) It's not a major problem for me as I can enable fast-boot as a workaround. However, I've obviously caused this problem myself with changes I've recently made to the phone so I'm curious as to what I've done wrong (and if it can be fixed.)

What I've done:

• Flashed Kyan's lightning ROM
  • Flashed Link2Int and moved all my apps to the 2GB internal memory. (This didn't go smoothly: it wasn't working and I made several attempts using the link2int removal zip and also trying the version for stock roms. Occasionally, when rebooting from clockwork, I got a warning/question which said something like: 'this will flash stock recovery - fix?' and sometimes I chose 'enable' and other times I chose 'disable.')
  • In order to get link2Int working, I also attempted to 'enable init.d' support by using a few apps such as 'Pimp my ROM' as well as flashing a couple of zips which were supposed to enable init.d (I've subsequently learned that it should already be enabled in the kernel I'm using.)
  • I'm using CWM 6.0.2.1
  • I'm on Paul's Kernel 3.0.8

1. Anyone got any guesses as to whether any of the above could have cause the problem?

2. I plan to reflash a ROM (when the next Lightning release is out) and I'll also apply the new Bootloader image. Is this likely to help? Would updating CWM help?

Finally some other dude with the problem i have on that rom to traying the link2sd.

I can't use that mod on the Lighting rom...

Guest bladebuddy

Geoff2

When you installed links2 sd did you move the data or dalvic or just the apps to the internal sd . Also when you flashed the lighting rom did you restore you're apps from a GB rom or JB rom what did you use to restore.

When you installed links2 sd did you move the data or dalvic or just the apps to the internal sd .

I moved all my user apps to SD. Of the three Link2SD options, I chose the first two, i.e. application file, and dalvik cache file, but not library files. It's worth pointing out that my Google Maps app was force closing, and that was one of the few apps that I didn't move to internal SD. (Since then, I have moved it to internal, but it was definitely force-closing before.)

Also when you flashed the lighting rom did you restore you're apps from a GB rom or JB rom what did you use to restore.

I restored my apps the slow way - i.e. I redownloaded them from the Play Store. I used Titanium Backup to restore data for a few of them, e.g. Angry Birds. However, the force-closing affects nearly all the apps, including ones that I've downloaded clean and not updated in any way.

Edited by Geoff2

Any chance some of the problems here are explained by this omission of init.d from some version(s) of Lightning?

Not sure about that. I was initially unable to use Link2SD, but eventually got it working. The reason it wasn't initially working is probably that I didn't have init.d support, and the reason it eventually started working is probably that I got init.d support enabled by using the 'Pimp my ROM' app. (This may not be right however, as Tilal has pointed out that the kernel I'm using should have had init.d support enabled anyway. But whatever.. it looks like I've not got init.d support working somehow.)

My suspicion is that I've screwed things up by repeatedly flashing and removing Link2Int and Link2Int(Stock ROM version) as I was occasionally getting that warning in CWM prior to reboot. Like a complete idiot, I was just ignoring the warning, choosing 'accept' or 'decline' (by tossing a coin) and continuing.

As always - thanks very much Kyan. I doubt it's Lightning that's the problem though, as it was working fine before my botched attempts to flash Link2Int. That said, now I've messed things up, re-installing can only help I guess.

I know you're also using Link2Int. I'll wait and check how you get on with re-installing the new Lightning ROM first before I try. My understanding is that I just flash a new ROM without wiping the dalvik cache, then re-flash Link2Int, and then all my apps should appear... Right?