Dev 3.0+ Kernel + CM 10.1/JB 4.2

Guest DeathArrow

Guest DeathArrow

Alright, I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to porting Android, but I'm a programmer and I've already developed software under Linux, so I'm going to try and port kernel 3.0+ and CM 10.1 or JB 4.2 to our device.

CM 10.1 is almost building, I have to iron out some errors but I think I'll get it to compile correctly in a few days. However we have no 3.0+ kernel. And JB with 2.6 kernel doesn't seem too attractive to me.

I'm trying also to port a 3.0+ kernel to our device, and that is the most hard thing to do. You can't diff stock 2.6 kernel and patch against 3+ kernel because 3.0 and 2.6 kernels are quite different things. Heck, you can't even use the lge patches against a 2.6 kernel because LG made quite ugly source modifications and hacks after hacks.

So my goals are:

a.) build CM 10.1/JB against 2.6 kernel, to have something to test against

b.) port some 3.0+ kernel to our device

For a.) I think it's an easy job. For b.) it's quite hard.

I have three ideas to follow:

1.) use kernel 3.0 from LG L5 / lge 610

2.) use kernel from CAF and add drivers and patches

3.) use regular android kernel 3.0+ from nexus devices and add drivers and patches

I've tried 1.), but the boards are quite different, I was able to boot the kernel but got kernel panics. I've looked to the source and the code for lge 610 is quite different from the code for e400, board is different and lge modifications of source code sucks big time. If I am ever to decide to hire a former LG coder, I would not. They just fu...cked the kernel source lots of if defs and custom bulshiting with the android kernel

3.) is last idea I will try it if 2.) isn't suitable for some reasom

2.) is our best bet to have a modern, new kernel for our device and have JB 4.2 CM 10.1 shine.

Code Aurora already has most of Qualcomm drivers in the source tree, I have just to add different drivers for some devices (lots of) not made by Qualcomm.

So I'm trying to pursuit number 2.)

I will probably set up a github for compiling CM 10.1, when I will build it successfully, mainly /device/lge/e400 and /vendor/lge/e400 and modified build scripts. However this will be only to build a test CM 10.1 to have something to test against.

I will set up a github for kernel development, I will start from Code Aurora Forums 3.4 kernel.

How you can help:

I need/we need (if some other devs join in) more info about the hardware. I have lge400 service manual but not all devices are mentioned. I've already made a list but it's not complete.

a.) you are not a developer: if you have stock image and you are rooted, type these in terminal:

#dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt put somewhere dmesg.txt and give the link in the thread

if you are not rooted, install ADB, and type:

adb shell

dmesg > /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt

exit

adb pull /mnt/sdcard/dmesg.txt whatever directory

Upload dmesg.txt to some filesharing and put the link in this thread.

b.) if you are a developer, you can help by identify devices based on dmesg and logcat.

If you are a developer and want to help, download 3.4 kernel from Code Aurora. Try to compile it and add drivers.

I will set up github for kernel and CM 10.1.

Guest yayakuya

since i don't have Linux anymore at my home, maybe i could give you a logcat only. just tell me what should condition of my device you need...

is it just pure rooted stock, or somethin' else i have to put in my rom for make a logcat that you need?i'm very interested and i wanna be a part of this, i'll join with you and ready for being a tester :D

Don't you worry about hard to track stability issues after such big port of kernel?

I suppose that dmesg output may be not enough.

I would search in /proc/cmdline for settings (especially lge.*) used at boot to find in sources, /proc/{config.gz,devices,interrupts,iomem,misc,modules}, /proc/bus/input/devices, /proc/tty/drivers, /sys/devices/*, /sys/module/*.

In attachments you'll find /proc and /sys dumps on CM9 kernel. Regarding 'dmesg', I don't have currently clean boot log that would have enough info since boot.

Anyway, IMO, making upgrade from CM9 kernel sources for E400 in one (2.6.39.x) or two major versions up max (3.0.x) would be more reasonable than porting (and adapting) entire kernel from different source tree.

And I know LG's mess in sources. I see similar mess in TVs code that's why I have decided to not upgrade kernel in OpenLGTV BCM and compile/port only necessary kernel modules on top of current kernel.

Is there anything that you miss from 3.4 kernel that would be such big improvement for phone compared to currently used 2.6.38.6?

e400_cm9_proc.zip

e400_cm9_sys.zip

proc_config.zip

Guest misterff1

well good job...wish you good luck...btw don't forget about us...users with blurred screen.

maybe you didn't notice, but the stockrom has a fix for it already and for cm9 will come soon

Guest Chingizzka

maybe you didn't notice, but the stockrom has a fix for it already and for cm9 will come soon

btw i got that first...you know just got installed on my device when it came out...i mean it was kernel from v10c+10q compiled...so now i am just sayin there that if they will make CM10.1 they better make sure about that screen problem

Guest misterff1

btw i got that first...you know just got installed on my device when it came out...i mean it was kernel from v10c+10q compiled...so now i am just sayin there that if they will make CM10.1 they better make sure about that screen problem

okay good point then :P

Guest yayakuya

please be patient...

let him finish this without any annoying questions :)

if this is done, i think admin have to pinch this thread for future devs. Amien....

Guest DeathArrow

Thanks for uploads. Just to let you update where we are

.Generally speaking, I'm a busy man.

I'm studying for Ph D,

I'm doing things for money, got this as a side project since no one wants to do it.So bear with me, I'm sorry but I will develop this kernel/rom on a slow pace since I do not have much spare time.

What I did: I've compiled CM 10.2 with the old kernel.I got kernel 3.4 to play from Code Aurora, got it in GIT, maybe I should upload.

It's hard to port the kernel to our very device. It's even harder since L3 is now my only phone. I've missed calls trying to boot custom kernels.Anyway, since I don't have very much time, I will upload my modifications to a complete 10.2 os and I will upload the kernel I'm working on. Maybe some guys could help.LG code sucks, their proprietary hacks sucks big time!

Edited by DeathArrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Boris Blagojevic

I want to help to test JB 4.2.I have LG Optimus L3 E400 with the latest Serbia or Europe Open V10j baseband.I was bought this model to the VIP Serbia Operater in Topola at Jully 2012.And I was try JB Cyanogen Mod 10 Alpha 1 Extreme from the LGSwiftL3 site and at the end of the instalation I got the message in CWM ROM Manager 5.8.4.5 instalation aborted.So I did completely all wipe and format procesess and reinstal again ICS 4.0.4 Cyanogen Mod 9 the latest Nightly so everything is ok.Can you please upload your Jelly Bean 4.2 Cyanogen Mod 10.2 with the old kernel just to see and check what is it like and how is it work?And Good Luck have nice and be happy in your work.And can you please add the latest and newest device drivers.Because I think that my E400 have the old drivers and I need to update it all asap.Does for E400 can be found the HD Grafic and Sound Drivers.To support and accelerate HD Video and Audio Sound.Because in the Stock ROM E400 can play movies with 800x480p and with ICS Cyanogen Mod can play movies with 854x480p max resolution using hardware acceleration without no problems at all.I was check it myself.And please enable Mass Storage feature because in ICS Cyanogen Mod we can use only Media Storage wich is similar like mass storage and PC Disk Defragmenter doesn't see the storages under Media Storage wich mean that internal and external storage can't be defragmented under PC.I use Diskeeper for maintance of internal and external storage for extending their life time beyond or above normal life time to last much longer than with normal usage.I can transfer and delete files in internal and external storage but I can't optimise them under Media Storage Feature using PC Desktop/Laptop Computer.I was try and even with CWM ROM Manager and it is the same thing like under Media Storage that is why I am asking you to enable mass storage and also enable Analog FM Radio or port it from the 2.3.6 Gingerbread Stock ROM Operating System.And I have and idea for the kernel for the JellyBean 4.2 everybody was developed so many Overclocked kernels but why nobody didn't think to develop the kernel what can enable on our's E400 CPU to work like intel CPU with Hyperthreading.Does any developer will think to port or develop Hyperthreading kernel what can enable the single core cpu to work like dual or quad core that can be done by simply spliting the cpu core on two or four indepentent logical Hyperthreaded parts like particioning HDD to the logical drives.LG Optimus L3 E400 have Qualcomm 7225a ARM v7 CPU with 128 KB L2 cashe memory 128/2=64 and 128/4=32.That is my idea for the JellyBean 4.2 kernel this can enable JellyBean to fly like thunder Rage furious Dragon in performance,speed and multitasking and also can reduce and extremely decrease working temperature of CPU and battery and increase power saving and the life time of the Android device.That would be briliant and genious.And with Hyperthreading kernel we can expect performance and stability like Windows 7 on Desktop PC but for JellyBean 4.2 for our device wich can be compared with performance of Windows 7 on the PC.

Edited by Boris Blagojevic

Guest Boris Blagojevic

I have a tested checked and realabile solution what can fix your problem with blured screen just download and install Onexuan One Power Guard and enable AI mode for hardware software and kernel optimisation and fixed blured screen.I using it all the time in combination with 1GHz swap overclocked kernel.

Guest Boris Blagojevic

So is this dead too :(

Exuse me?What are you talking about?Please explain.Bite your tongue.When you say something stupid you bearly stay alive.No it is not dead nothing at all.Just need a lot of time for this ROM to evolve for our model LG Optimus L3 E400.I just counting days when will be ready for us to test and generaly everyday use.Let us all pray for that.

Edited by Boris Blagojevic