Jiayu G2S

Guest twrock

We've got a thread going over at XDA about the Jiayu G2S: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2126293. But since I'm a long-time MoDaCo member, I wouldn't mind hanging out here for discussion and support.

At the moment I'm without my JY G2S, having had to send it off for replacement under warranty. Seems there was a lot of problems with a new tech screen material that Jiayu called "One Glass Screen" (OGS). I really hope they worked out how to really fix it at a manufacturing level and stop trying to fix it by issuing a rom update. But at least we immediately got an updated rom from them when they tried. ;-)

Guest RussellS

What is this 'One Glass Screen' then and what sort of problems does it cause. Is it something that is in the G3 as well only I havn't seen any mention of it anywhere.

Guest FrankieADZ

i looked at the G2S before i went for the G3, how is the G2S?

think the next phone I'll get is the G5, 4.5inch screen & it looks a really nice design from what ive seen of it.

What is this 'One Glass Screen' then and what sort of problems does it cause. Is it something that is in the G3 as well only I havn't seen any mention of it anywhere.

I think that the G2S was the first Jiayu phone with this screen material (OGS). The G3 does not have it.

I looked at the G3 as well, but I did not want the larger size of the G3.

I am also aware from the info on the Jiayu site that the G4 will also have this screen material. Hopefully by the time the G4 is fully released, the problems in manufacturing will all be worked out.

When my (hopefully) new phone comes back from Jiayu, I'll report back on whether or no the problem is solved.

Normal screens have a bubble of air between the display and the digitalizer. OGS screens have no space in between, meaning the phone is thinner.

reduction of the screen's thickness by about the size of a thin bubble of air? wow!

IMO they should've focused more on the screen res / colors so we could get better sunlight readability..

Agreed that it is not significant enough to be worth it, but it is thinner. Each layer that makes up the screen has a necessary thickness. By combining those layers, you reduce it by more than just the air space between them. How much more is not something I've actually seen in print, but I'm sure it is out there somewhere (especially if you can do your research in Chinese).

The screen itself looks fantastic! No problems there. But something was definitely wrong in the the manufacturing process somewhere along the line. Don't know if it was with the screen material itself or the way it went into the case or what. But it didn't work right.

Also, because it is a thinner material, some have cautioned that it might be more breakable. But the G2S has a very solid metal rim around the screen and into the chassis that gives the phone a very solid feel and provides definite rigidity. The phone is also more "square" on the edges, which feels great in my hand. I definitely like the squareness (cf. the iPhone). But it is quite a bit longer than my Huawei G300 and a tiny bit narrower. Both have 4 inch screens (different resolutions though). Except for the "jump screen" problem, yes, it is a really nice piece of kit. If the jump screen issue is fixed, I will not be using my HW G300 any more.

• 1 month later...
Guest twrock

I believe they have the same internals as the newer batch of the G3, which I believe is called G3N..

Unfortunately, I'm quite sure mine is the older hardware. But at least it works.

Guest twrock

and I think the G2S has more performance than the G3 and its 720p screen..however, I do like the G3's screen size and PPI, as I do more reading than playing games.. ;)

And there are still a lot of people complaining about the G2S "jump screen" problem. I would not recommend any phone with their OGS screen at this point.

Edited by twrock