PSA: Ubuntu Phone is out today (source code)

Guest omegavesko

Guest omegavesko

It would be nice, but is our chip set up to it?

I think it should be. We can obviously run CM10.1 nicely, and I don't think the Ubuntu layer should be too much trouble for us to run. I may be wrong, though.

Oh, also, apparently they're releasing 'porting instructions' tomorrow, whatever that means.

Guest tilal6991

I'm sorry people. While I would love to see this happen I just don't think its going to. For 2 reasons:

1. While the android side is very much CM and is a snap to compile, the Ubuntu side is completely armv7 based

2. The data requires 2GB of space at its biggest point. We have nowhere near that much.

Guest razzmataz1478
I'm sorry people. While I would love to see this happen I just don't think its going to. For 2 reasons:

1. While the android side is very much CM and is a snap to compile, the Ubuntu side is completely armv7 based

2. The data requires 2GB of space at its biggest point. We have nowhere near that much.

I thought they were using CM so they could it could be ported to the widest range of devices possible, which I thought meant armv6...oh well.

We could use SD Card

Guest tilal6991

I thought they were using CM so they could it could be ported to the widest range of devices possible, which I thought meant armv6...oh well.

We could use SD Card

We could but performance would be terrible.

Basically there is two parts to Ubuntu. The android part which everyone seems to have seen and the actual Ubuntu layer which no one seems to have. The android layer is very easy to compile for armv6 by the Ubuntu layer is almost impossible.

Guest razzmataz1478

Basically there is two parts to Ubuntu. The android part which everyone seems to have seen and the actual Ubuntu layer which no one seems to have. The android layer is very easy to compile for armv6 by the Ubuntu layer is almost impossible.

Right. It would be very slow.

Has Daz looked at the source code in terms of armv6 compatibility because I see he has the source and has compiled it for the G300.

Guest omegavesko

Ah. I assumed the Ubuntu layer would be easy to port. Too bad then, I suppose.