New USB Modem INF file!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pete1312

So what's the difference (improvement?) between this modem file and the originally supplied one?

As far as I can ascertain, neither works without the DK update (or conversely, both do with the DK update).

I'm still looking forward to Monday (don't normally like Mondays)!

Guest lycrawearer

Works well with my SPV (DK update installed) & WinXP pro.

However when using the SPV as a modem in the USB cradle, and dialling up to my ISP using the *99# prefix it connects, then stumbles at the validation stage, quoting error 727 - loopback !?!?

Any idea's ?

lycrawearer

Guest HoneyPanther

:cry:

Perhaps big bizz should get their prod's right b4 offering them 4 sale

:idea:

Showing a some respect for the people who make them viable

Remembering, we have all got memory.

It'll need a really big gesture from Orange to have any hope of getting me to even think about trusting that any more new Orange products are market ready working products.

:evil:

My, those P800's are looking mighty tempting right now.

I can confirm for you that the DK update is required for the SPV to be detected as a modem.

It wouldn't work for yesterday, but after having installed the DK update today it works :)

Guest mike-oh

No joy for me either.

right....

1.i have the uk update installed and windows 98se

2.i activate the modem on the phone via accessories, modem link, activate

3.i plug it into the cradle

4.pc detects new usb hardware

5.now do i manually select instal modem or usb device? either way i point the pc to the inf file (via have disc) and it tells me it doesn't contain info for this device.

6.so...rather than tell it what device it is i tell it where to find the necessary file.which it does and supposedly installs.

7.then what?device manager says it's installed properly yet under the modem setup in control panel it tells me the driver is corrupt and it can't communicate with the device.

8.supposing one of you kind geniuses could get all that sorted for me....how do i go about setting up an account that will dial up through it?(i may be able to figure that out if only i could get the dam thing working!!)

Would someone please write an idiots guide (i aint no foo' and i've installed plenty of hardware before but this has got me stumped!) for myself and everyone else who is struggling!

thank you kindly.

mike

Hi, when I try to activate the USB modem it says I cant use it because Activesync is using the connection, I dont seem to be able to connect the usb line without activesync using it. Any ideas?

Sorry I'm stupid, I worked it out

Thanks,

geoff

Don't forget you also need to add the init string +cgdcont=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0 to ensure the modem logs onto the network correctly.

Where do we add this please?

Cheers,

geoff

Guest Pagemakers

In Windows go to Control Panel/Modems

Select Modem/Properties/Advanced

Add the string to the "extra init commands" box.

PS - You need to turn Active Sync off when using the USB modem. It can't do both at the same time.

Guest IanCardiff

I have got the modem to work (WinXP Home) but I am not convinced it is connected via GPRS. I thought you were able to use the phone as a phone whilst connected to GPRS but I tried ringing my mobile number form my land line, while the laptop was using the SPV as its modem and found it was engaged.

Is it using GPRS or a phone line and what are we being charged?

Right, I followed the instructions above and have got it working on 2k. Using USB cable (SPV has UK update). Can't get it to work over IR though, can transfer files but the notebook just can't see it as a modem.

Thanks for the walkthroughs posted by various people - as usefull as ever :)

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

I'm ~still~ waiting for second level Orange support to get back to me on this one. I got it working but i'm still not convinced its using GPRS either (see my post under the USB modem thread in Software forum).

I can't call them while at owrk today, they're expecting me to work for a living this week it seems :/, so i'll give them another blast when i get in laster this afternoon