[DEV][ROM][25.6] Ubuntu Touch

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

This is my port of Ubuntu Touch for ZTE Blade III. Ubuntu for phones is still in very early development and almost nothing works! This developer preview is only to give you some idea what Ubuntu Touch will feel like in a mobile device.

screenshot2.png screenshot.png screenshot3.png screenshot5.png

saucy-preinstalled-armel+atlas40.zip
http://konstakang.com/devices/atlas40/UbuntuTouch
md5:125c782e322e3f217c662c49670b6f49

saucy-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
http://konstakang.com/devices/atlas40/UbuntuTouch
md5:f00724d112caa25d759f686acd6bf682

How to install:

1. copy the above packages to your phone's sdcard
  2. boot into ClockWorkMod recovery
  3. make a nandroid backup of your previous ROM: backup & restore -> backup
  4. wipe data & factory reset
  5. flash device specific package: install .zip from sdcard -> choose .zip from sdcard -> saucy-preinstalled-armel+atlas40.zip
  6. flash Ubuntu image: install .zip from sdcard -> choose .zip from sdcard -> saucy-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip
  7. reboot now

How to access Ubuntu shell:

adb root
adb shell
ubuntu_chroot shell

Sources:

• Canonical/Ubuntu
  • CyanogenMod team
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

25.6. changelog:

• updated for Ubuntu Touch 13.10 Saucy Salamander
  • fixed screen density

7.6. changelog:

• updated for Ubuntu Touch 13.04 Raring Ringtail
  • camera sort of works

26.2. changelog:

• initial release for MWC2013 developer preview (Ubuntu Touch 12.10 Quantal Quetzal)
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

with this rom work all as mobile phone??i mean making and receved calls??

No, there's no connectivity. Also most of the included apps are just mock-ups. It's mainly just to demonstrate how the Ubuntu for phones UI works.

Guest merc1800k

No, there's no connectivity. Also most of the included apps are just mock-ups. It's mainly just to demonstrate how the Ubuntu for phones UI works.

ok thanks

Guest MobileUberAlles

Excellent, Great work man! I want to try this on one of my spare phones, However, I'm a noob. If I'm installing this? can I install stock rom or other roms after that? I don't want to make a back up of anything?

Where can I find them?

Edited by MobileUberAlles

Guest KonstaT

After I Try This Can I Just Restore My Backup ?

Yes.

Excellent, Great work man! I want to try this on one of my spare phones, However, I'm a noob. If I'm installing this? can I install stock rom or other roms after that? I don't want to make a back up of anything?

Where can I find them?

Lol, what? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. :P Just make a nandroid backup and make one every chance you get... It's the easiest and absolutely the best way to restore your device to previous software. I'm so tired of these 'can someone please upload my stock ROM' requests. Just make a nandroid backup every time you flash something!

This is a developer preview, it means that it is for developers - not for noobs.

Guest GizmoTheGreen

it appears to have froozen on the lockscreen? installed, rebooted, low backlight and frozen lockscreen and no response on any buttons whatsoever... am I missing something?

Guest MobileUberAlles

Yes.

Lol, what? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. :P Just make the nandroid backup and make one every chance you get... It's the easiest and absolutely the best way to restore your device to previous software. I'm so tired of these 'can someone please upload my stock ROM' requests. Just make the nandroid every time you flash something!

This is a developer preview, it means that it is for developers - not for noobs.

Might be stupid to you, but lets say I have and endless supply of devices. Who said I'm not a dev?

So you don't think I can take any rom and flash later?

Guest KonstaT

it appears to have froozen on the lockscreen? installed, rebooted, low backlight and frozen lockscreen and no response on any buttons whatsoever... am I missing something?

There is no response to buttons (well, power button takes you to the 'lockscreen/start screen') - only gestures. Look at some YouTube videos how it's supposed to work. ;)

Might be stupid to you, but lets say I have and endless supply of devices. Who said I'm not a dev?

So you don't think I can take any rom and flash later?

You said.

Use ClockWorkMod to flash custom ROMs. Use stock recovery to flash stock updates.

Guest GizmoTheGreen

aah, right, sure is a learning curve on this, I found no options to increase the backlight though, was so dark I played around for a minute and then restored my backup back to cm10 :D

Guest KonstaT

aah, right, sure is a learning curve on this, I found no options to increase the backlight though, was so dark I played around for a minute and then restored my backup back to cm10 :D

You can change screen brightness in adb shell. Use values between 20-255.

echo "255" > /sys/class/leds/lcd-backlight/brightness[/CODE]

Guest KonstaT

Nice ui from what i saw.Are you planing on making a working version of ubuntu or will it stay like this?

You better ask Canonical what their plans are. I have to wait and see just like everybody else.

There is nothing for me to do at this point. This is pretty much the current status of Ubuntu Touch development in general. I only ported the device specific part that allows you to chroot the generic Ubuntu Touch image that you download from Canonical website. Of course I'll try to keep this as up to date as possible.

• 2 months later...
Guest plantroon

The first link and the third link are broken ...

EDIT1: OK I know what happened to ur mediafire account

EDIT2: Wow man u reuploaded it, many thanks :)

EDIT3: WOooow this is good: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/ubuntu-touch-for-phones-to-be-usable-by-end-of-may rly good :) Raring doesn't work now, it installed fine but then I got a black screen. I was curious and I wanted to have some fun :) This OS is gonna be epic however. It doesn't use dalvik and java like android so it should be faster. From what Canonical wiki pages say, it should run fine on our device but I don't get why it needs 1 GHz at all. It's gonna be epic to have the same OS running on all kinds of devices (yet everyone failed when trying to do this)... Linux kernel (which is good) + Mir display server (no X server at all) + Unity Next (no gnome/compiz crap) + Canonical announced a new package management system (so it's not a debian based distribution anymore). This is imo gonna help things a lot. I hope that Canonical would keep up the good work and start using word "Linux" again. It's just a kernel but there's no mention of it on their website now lol ... It's just "ubuntu" and not "linux ubuntu" like people used to call it. Well, M$ website also doesn't contain any mention of NT kernel but M$ s__ks. :)

Edited by plantroon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plantroon

KonstaT, just a question ... will u be supporting this once it gets to an usable state by the end of May? I already tried to learn something about porting but I just can't clone git repos, I have 15-20 kB/s connection. Also I have no idea how to run breakfast command according to the porting wiki or even whether it's needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plantroon

http://www.jonobacon...fooding-update/ EPIC THINGS ARE GOING ON! :D

KonstaT plz port raring as soon as you think it's the time just like you did before with Quantal (I was impressed what I had been holding in my hands). I was trying to do this but I don't have 15 GB of space for all those sources and my PC wouldn't compile it in less time than a day. Also my connection is quite limited (20-50 kB/s) so I rely on this phone and I connect to the wifi when I'm in the nearest town.

Edited by plantroon

Guest KonstaT

WOW I cant whait to try Ubuntu Touch on my Blade 3

That's great! Please port this rom to blade III KonstanT :)

Huh, wtf? I ported it moths ago!

Guest KonstaT

Hey KonstaT, I think they are referring to the new update that (is?) will come out soon(?)

http://www.jonobacon...fooding-update/

This is not an officially supported Nexus device.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install#What_to_expect_after_flashing

It's even very optimistic objective they have to get everything mostly working on few select (Nexus) devices by the end of this year. You can't expect any major step forward on other devices until some time in 2014.

There hasn't been activity in months what comes to sources they release.