Lost 3G connectivity after ROM update

Guest tontonfred

Guest tontonfred

Hi,

I had CM10.1 on my G300 but was experiencing a lot of 3G issues (loss of signal or reboots when switching from Wifi to Mobile data) ; the phone was originally bought in Thailand, updated OTA from GB to ICS by one of the shop clerks, and until a few days ago, IMEI SV was 38. I decided to try out the latest ICS stock (see here ) in B952 to see if it would improve things. I flashed it and everything seemed fine (IMEI SV now 50), so did a full clean install of CM10.1 R2 (wipe & format data/cache/system, flash ROM, flash gapps).

The installation went smoothly and all my apps are working, except now the phone won't even connect to my provider's 3G network. I have to run it with "2G data only" checked. If I uncheck it, it immediately loses signal, and I get a "No service" notification. Check 2G again, and it registers immediately, accessing data with EDGE and GPRS.

Logcat shows things like this :

I/Use2GOnlyCheckBoxPreference( 739): set preferred network type=0

I/Use2GOnlyCheckBoxPreference( 739): set preferred network type done

I/UpdateCheckReceiver( 7904): Got connectivity change, has connection: false

E/MobileDataStateTracker( 490): default: unknown network type: 0

D/ConnectivityService( 490): ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED

D/ConnectivityService( 490): Attempting to switch to WIFI

D/ConnectivityService( 490): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER

D/NetUtils( 490): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x4e620b90 clazz=0xf0500001 iface=rmnet0 mask=0x3

D/ConnectivityService( 490): resetConnections(rmnet0, 3)

I restored my CWM backup from before the Stock flash, and I now get the same thing, so it seems the B952 flash somehow broke the phone's ability to connect to 3G (it was flashed using POWER + VOL UP + VOL DN and update.app). Does anybody have suggestions as to what I can try to restore 3G ? I was thinking of reflashing the bootloader or RIL, but don't want to do any more damage if I can avoid it.

Cheers,

Fred

Guest george109

From looking at your logs,

/Use2GOnlyCheckBoxPreference [/CODE]

Is a service that only lets the phone connect to and use 2G networks,

I know this sounds obvious, but do this to check it is turned off.

Home button -> Options button -> System Settings -> More (Under wireless and networks) -> Mobile Networks -> Check These Boxes:

Data Enabled

Data Roaming

Enable Always on Mobile Network

-> Uncheck Use Only 2G Networks

-> Go To Network Operators -> Click OK -> (Wait) -> Select Automatically -> (Wait Until it says registered on network) -> Home Button -> Power -> Restart Phone -> OK

(The restart phone is optional, but I always find it helps )

Also, check if you have any battery saver apps installed, (e.g. Easy Battery Saver) and Uninstall them, as they can sometimes cause network problems.

George

Edited by george109

Guest pearsonian

i don't know if this helps you but i installed the b952 official update from Vodafone and rooted my phone also,when completed the update my 3g wasn't working so i set about inputting all the details for my apn which is giffgaff,no matter what i put in the fields which were all the correct info it wouldn't connect on 3g,then i read,delete all the apns and start again from scratch so i did and it worked straight away.

Guest tontonfred

From looking at your logs,

/Use2GOnlyCheckBoxPreference [/CODE]

Is a service that only lets the phone connect to and use 2G networks,

I know this sounds obvious, but do this to check it is turned off.

This was actually a test I did while recording catlog: phone on 2G only with signal, uncheck box, lose connectivity, check box, phone registers on network normally. This is a fresh install so no tweak apps have been installed yet.

i don't know if this helps you but i installed the b952 official update from Vodafone and rooted my phone also,when completed the update my 3g wasn't working so i set about inputting all the details for my apn which is giffgaff,no matter what i put in the fields which were all the correct info it wouldn't connect on 3g,then i read,delete all the apns and start again from scratch so i did and it worked straight away.

I brought the phone to the network operator and they reset the APN, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with mobile data : if I disable mobile data and then untick "use 2G network only", it will still immediately lose connection and complain about "no service". The phone just cannot connect or register with a 3G network anymore....

Edited by tontonfred

Guest george109

I brought the phone to the network operator and they reset the APN, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with mobile data : if I disable mobile data and then untick "use 2G network only", it will still immediately lose connection and complain about "no service". The phone just cannot connect or register with a 3G network anymore....

Does this do the same thing with the Data Enabled?

I would try a factory reset, and if that doesn't work, Try to go back to the Stock ROM and if it still does not work, take it to the shop, and then try to tell them you did a factory reset and it still doesn't work, as then they might give you a shiny new replacement! :)

P.S - I am trying to help here, but I don't really know much about the IMEI SV, so really, I am just telling you what I would do in this situation!

Edited by george109

Guest dalyer

P.S - I am trying to help here, but I don't really know much about the IMEI SV, so really, I am just telling you what I would do in this situation!

Regarding the IMEI SV - you can use this to figure out the last official update.app that was applied - see here:

page__st__60?do=embed#entry2086534' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>

I wonder if there's some sort of RIL + ROM mismatch? I've seen mention that having the "wrong" RIL can leave you with mobile network connectivity problems?

I would be inclined to go back and try to flash a known good stock ROM update.app and see if that helps. If not then perhaps reflash the RIL for the correct stock ROM version (i.e. matching your IMEI SV).

But please do more research before doing anything as I'm just brainstorming here! :)

• 1 month later...
Guest schofo88

Hi,

I had CM10.1 on my G300 but was experiencing a lot of 3G issues (loss of signal or reboots when switching from Wifi to Mobile data) ; the phone was originally bought in Thailand, updated OTA from GB to ICS by one of the shop clerks, and until a few days ago, IMEI SV was 38. I decided to try out the latest ICS stock (see here ) in B952 to see if it would improve things. I flashed it and everything seemed fine (IMEI SV now 50), so did a full clean install of CM10.1 R2 (wipe & format data/cache/system, flash ROM, flash gapps).

The installation went smoothly and all my apps are working, except now the phone won't even connect to my provider's 3G network. I have to run it with "2G data only" checked. If I uncheck it, it immediately loses signal, and I get a "No service" notification. Check 2G again, and it registers immediately, accessing data with EDGE and GPRS.

Logcat shows things like this :

I/Use2GOnlyCheckBoxPreference( 739): set preferred network type=0

I/Use2GOnlyCheckBoxPreference( 739): set preferred network type done

I/UpdateCheckReceiver( 7904): Got connectivity change, has connection: false

E/MobileDataStateTracker( 490): default: unknown network type: 0

D/ConnectivityService( 490): ConnectivityChange for mobile: DISCONNECTED/DISCONNECTED

D/ConnectivityService( 490): Attempting to switch to WIFI

D/ConnectivityService( 490): Attempting to switch to BLUETOOTH_TETHER

D/NetUtils( 490): android_net_utils_resetConnections in env=0x4e620b90 clazz=0xf0500001 iface=rmnet0 mask=0x3

D/ConnectivityService( 490): resetConnections(rmnet0, 3)

I restored my CWM backup from before the Stock flash, and I now get the same thing, so it seems the B952 flash somehow broke the phone's ability to connect to 3G (it was flashed using POWER + VOL UP + VOL DN and update.app). Does anybody have suggestions as to what I can try to restore 3G ? I was thinking of reflashing the bootloader or RIL, but don't want to do any more damage if I can avoid it.

Cheers,

Fred

Hi Fred,

Reading your entry is exactly the same experience that I am having. I upgraded from GB to ICS B952 and everything worked fine except the 3G connectivity. I then downgraded (with much difficulty) back to GB B895 thinking it would fix the problem but still the same thing.

what did you end up doing? Or is it doomed forever?

I really appreciate any advice as I'm up the wall!!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tontonfred

Hi,

sorry for not logging in for a while, but a few days after my last post, the phone just died (would not power on). The shop said they would send it back for repair, but could take up to 2 months (if they don't find out it has been rooted and the ROM replaced and refuse to service it). They said the same thing happened to other customers, and I found a few cases on this forum as well. In other words, you get what you pay for...