Tonight's Galaxy S IV reveal - what are you expecting / hope for?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

The Samsung Galaxy S IV is being revealed tonight at a 'Samsung Unpacked' event in New York City.

For those who can't be (or weren't invited to) the Big Apple, the event is also being livestreamed on Samsung's YouTube channel and will kick off at 19:00 EDT - 23:00 GMT.

Are you staying up for the event? What are you hoping for? It looks like some specs are a given - i'm expecting a 5" device with a plastic back, metal rim, 5" 1080 screen, wireless charging, removable battery and microSD... but maybe a couple of surprises too.

Share your predictions with us and let's see who's right! :)

Click here to view the item

Guest todoleo

A 5 inch 1080p screen, slide out physical portrait qwerty keyboard and WebOS with TouchWiz as the operating system. I'll keep on dreaming/having nightmares until tonight...

Guest Zarch1972

Same format factor, slightly bigger body, 5" 1080 screen, slightly improved camera and some crazy TouchWiz features you'll use once. ;)

Gone are the days of true innovation.

But saying all that, they'll still sell by the bucketload I imagine?

Guest Matchstick

What I'm hoping for is

1) a common CPU for all versions of the phone. None of this rumoured US (and possibly UK) get Snapdragon 600s while the rest of the world gets octa-core Exynos 5, malarky.

2) a BIIIG battery. I don't care if it means the SGS4 is thicker than the iPhone, stick a battery in there that will comfortably run the phone for a weekend on a single charge. I strongly suspect that battery life is one of the reason the Note phones have been such a hit and since they are scaling up the SGS4 to near Note size then skimping on battery capacity in favour of looks would be a backwards step.

3) Wacom digitizer. The Note 2's S-Pen is one if it's greatest features so the ability to use it with the (probably 1080p) screen of the SGS4, even if you have to buy it seperately, would be lovely.

4) Removable battery and micro-SD card slot.

Oh and a stock keyboard with a number row - though that's probably just cos I'm weird like that.

Guest gadgetshop

I'll be taking my nice new samsung trade in offer tab2 to work. I'm not really sure what I want in it, nice screen and decent battery would be a good start though, but I'm after a new phone in the next few weeks or so and am leaning towards the ONE but if the S4 looks awesome I could be tempted.

Guest rovex

1080P AMOLED screen, or whatever the green version is. Dont care for LCDs, wont have an LCD TV, dont want an LCD phone..

Exynos Octa. Exynos is better than the rest, it just makes the phone FEEL better, whether it benches faster or not.

Hardware keys. Yes i know the arguments for soft keys, i think they are wrong. I hate soft keys and whatever HTC have done on the One is just wack-a-doodle.

I find the S3s 'Smart' features quite handy. Smart Stay works really well for me, even with Glasses on. So im looking forward to these extra 'Smart' functions, i dont find them gimmicky or pointless. They are innovative (more so than rounded corners anyway..).

Anything BUT a Glass back. Its a stupid thing to make a phone out of. Its nesessary on the front, but dont compound it by putting it on the back! It doesnt matter who is doing it, its wrong.

I would like a more industrial design for the back though. The rounded shape on the S3 is a bit ugly, but i have no issues with it being plastic.

Guest andybarker

Coming from an S2, the S3 didn't seem THAT much more amazing. Not sure what would make another phone more interesting to me as I tend to carry a Nexus 7 around a lot of the time - so have a reasonable sized phone, and a good sized tablet with me.

If I were to upgrade, I'm one that wants better battery over smaller size. I have bought spare batteries for phones for years, as a trip into London always seems to kill the battery in less than a day (lots of Google Maps, looking up addresses and phone numbers, etc). Although I have recently bought an external battery pack for 1 or 2 day trips so I can easily charge the N7 as well.

Guest narutofma

A 5 inch 1080p screen, slide out physical portrait qwerty keyboard and WebOS with TouchWiz as the operating system. I'll keep on dreaming/having nightmares until tonight...

sorry for a QWERTY keyboard, that will NEVER happen on an INTERNATIONAL version. as for OS, other than Samsung Stock, you only choice is to Flash Custom FW. SGS4 are already on Preorder in Singapore since last week Friday.

Guest narutofma

Coming from an S2, the S3 didn't seem THAT much more amazing. Not sure what would make another phone more interesting to me as I tend to carry a Nexus 7 around a lot of the time - so have a reasonable sized phone, and a good sized tablet with me.

If I were to upgrade, I'm one that wants better battery over smaller size. I have bought spare batteries for phones for years, as a trip into London always seems to kill the battery in less than a day (lots of Google Maps, looking up addresses and phone numbers, etc). Although I have recently bought an external battery pack for 1 or 2 day trips so I can easily charge the N7 as well.

you battery drain for smart phone is purely normal, your DATA was on the whole time plus GPS. Of course your battery drain like running faucet. No matter what size the battery came with, people will always complain NOT ENOUGH JUICE. Since the Screen are nearly on 80% + data/wifi. Always bring an External Battery for charging.

Guest andybarker

Data is on all day when not in London.

Screen isn't on loads. Gps is only on when I use the maps. I use it maybe a dozen times during the day for a few minutes at a time. I think a big issue is the time spent on the tube, and the frequent change of tower with all the walking around we tend to do. Could be totally wrong of course.

Guest The Soup Thief

@andybarker I agree with you massively about battery life - is there anyone who wouldn't trade 2-3mm extra thickness for another 1000mAh? I'm not saying Samsung will do this - I'm saying they should. They will continue with the silly thin phone arms - race, producing more semi usable devices that require users to carry around a bag of cables and external charging crap (we're on holiday at the moment and you wanna see the amount of charging paraphernalia I had to bring to keep our phones going when we're out & about!)

Oh, I reckon they'll go for wireless charging - though will it be Qi? Hope so, for the sake of my N4!

Dual sim? Not a hope (for western markets at least), though it would be handy. Maybe look for a KIRF version...

I'd like to see some manufacturer adoption of these waterproofing coatings - just to avoid mishaps

4G of course

Now if they sold it super cheap, following the N4's lead... Now that really would be Apple's undoing

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Zarch1972

Now if they sold it super cheap, following the N4's lead... Now that really would be Apple's undoing

HTC haven't done it with the One and Sony haven't with the Z.

I just can't see Samsung needing to do it, they'll still sell bucket loads on £35 a month contracts with a free phone.

Guest The Soup Thief

@Zarch1972 Agreed. Was just musing...

Btw - this was online a few hours back http://goo.gl/gCvJm

Looks like there will be a dual sim version in China, though I stand by what I said earlier - I can't even this making it to the west

Edited by The Soup Thief

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.