This post details how to install 'Xposed' on the HTC One.
Full details on the modification can be found in this post.
Some technical details:
I extended the /system/bin/app_process executable to load a JAR file on startup. The classes of this file will sit in every process (including the one for system services) and can act with their powers. And even more: I have implemented something that allows developers to replace any method in any class (may it be in the framework, systemui or a custom app). This makes Xposed very powerful. You can change parameters for the method call, modify the return value or skip the call to the method completely - it's all up to you! Also replacing or adding resources is easy.
- No need to modify any APKs. This means:
- No need to decompile, change things in smali, compile, sign, ...
- It will work for odexed and deodexed ROMs.
- Your mod is not bound to a specific version of the ROM. Unless there is a major change in the methods called for a certain functionality, your mod will continue to work even when you upgrade your ROM. Hell, it will probably even work with different ROMs.
- Multiple mods can be installed at the same time, even if they change the same package. So you can use these battery icons and those quick toggles. Even hooking the same method twice is possible. Of course, this only works properly if the mods are not trying to do incompatible things.
- It does its magic at runtime. That means you can implement options to let the user decide if they prefer the bikeshed to be painted in red or blue. Or you can have some extra logic for certain ROMs without building different mod versions.
- It can be disabled easily without having to reflash.
It's open source.
This guide is posted with rovo89's permissions. MASSIVE thanks to him for this modification, it's awesome. I'll be posting a number of modules for the One soon, keep an eye on this forum for details.
A custom installation system is required due to the One's /system partition lock (changes are lost at reboot). So... to install (this is version 2.1.3, i'll update as required)...
- Download and install this APK - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)
- Executed Xposed Installer from your launcher and click 'Install / Update'
- Download this zip file and copy to your internal SD card - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)
- Install the downloaded zip from your custom recovery