How to install 'Xposed' on the HTC One

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

[New: Updated to Xposed 2.1.4 test version]

This post details how to install 'Xposed' on the HTC One.

Full details on the modification can be found in this post.

Some technical details:

I extended the /system/bin/app_process executable to load a JAR file on startup. The classes of this file will sit in every process (including the one for system services) and can act with their powers. And even more: I have implemented something that allows developers to replace any method in any class (may it be in the framework, systemui or a custom app). This makes Xposed very powerful. You can change parameters for the method call, modify the return value or skip the call to the method completely - it's all up to you! Also replacing or adding resources is easy.

Advantages:

• No need to modify any APKs. This means:
    • No need to decompile, change things in smali, compile, sign, ...
    • It will work for odexed and deodexed ROMs.
    • Your mod is not bound to a specific version of the ROM. Unless there is a major change in the methods called for a certain functionality, your mod will continue to work even when you upgrade your ROM. Hell, it will probably even work with different ROMs.
    • Multiple mods can be installed at the same time, even if they change the same package. So you can use these battery icons and those quick toggles. Even hooking the same method twice is possible. Of course, this only works properly if the mods are not trying to do incompatible things.
    • It does its magic at runtime. That means you can implement options to let the user decide if they prefer the bikeshed to be painted in red or blue. Or you can have some extra logic for certain ROMs without building different mod versions.
    • It can be disabled easily without having to reflash.
      It's open source.

This guide is posted with rovo89's permissions. MASSIVE thanks to him for this modification, it's awesome. I'll be posting a number of modules for the One soon, keep an eye on this forum for details.

A custom installation system is required due to the One's /system partition lock (changes are lost at reboot). So... to install (this is version 2.1.3, i'll update as required)...

[*]Download and install this APK - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)

[*]Executed Xposed Installer from your launcher and click 'Install / Update'

[*]Download this zip file and copy to your internal SD card - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid)

[*]Install the downloaded zip from your custom recovery

That's it, you're done! To uninstall, use the 'Clean Up' option in the app and then run the uninstall zip from the main Xposed Framework post.

Enjoy! :)

P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Thyme Cypher

Unfortunately, it seems that once you've installed it once with the regular installer, it breaks the ROM. Pressing Install/Update turns the phone off immediately.

Damnit.

(Update)

It seems to corrupt SU. Trying to reinstall/upgrade SU should cause the phone to restart, then SU should be fixed. Not sure what it is but it's not crashing anymore.

Edited by Thyme Cypher

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Arclight25

I'm on a stock, rooted version of 4.3 and when I install the zip from recovery it messes up the camera. When trying to crop a photo, you highlight the cropped area and press OK, and the image goes blank. Also all of the preset photo edits are the same as the regular image, and the auto adjust preview is just a black box. Once you reflash the ROM camera is back, but no framework.