Thanks ZTE

Guest dodgetimmy

Guest dodgetimmy

To vent my frustration: Thanks ZTE for not releasing the libs for the crescent. Because of this there's no front camera support for any of the ICS/JB roms on here. I would love to try different ones out like most of you fellow "tweakers" but can't as I regularly need use of the front camera.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Yup, that's why they're cheap. If you want a good chance of any new rom either buy the new LG Nexus 4 or one of the Samsung phones. Any manufacturer actually linked to Google is a safe bet.

Guest dodgetimmy

Looks like Sony is more promising than Samsung at the moment. Problem is, if I were to spend that kind of money on a phone I wouldn't touch custom roms, at least for a long time.

So really what is the best phone at the moment for those wanting a cheap price but decent development?

Guest omegavesko
Looks like Sony is more promising than Samsung at the moment. Problem is, if I were to spend that kind of money on a phone I wouldn't touch custom roms, at least for a long time.

So really what is the best phone at the moment for those wanting a cheap price but decent development?

A Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4, definitely. Sony also has great developer support, but their phones are far from cheap.

Samsung also has good developer support, but only if you buy the Qualcomm variant of their devices. Stay away from Exynos SoCs.

Guest scuzzbucket

You can pick up Xperia S for under £170 if you look about. 2011 Xperia phones like the Arc S have pretty active development.

Guest dodgetimmy

Just for you experts out there. Is it at all possible for a dev to create front camera/flash support without the libs?

Daz put on his cm7 build page that the camera would be "difficult"to get working, but now it seems out of the question.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Well, put it this way, it's like you plugging a mouse or video card into your pc and Windows not being able to find any drivers for it at all so you just can't use it. Same thing.