[ SOLVED! Solution in thread... read!] How does one flash back to ORANGE ICS from XOLO ICS please?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

The orange is an official update zip too. The reason for the dump is because the orange update runs a patch check on the currunt system, typical of orange to be that way.

Yup!

Were the bootloader unlocked, the checking code could be stripped out, right?

"Typical of Orange" == pedantic and officious? :D

"Hullo, Orange? I own my handset, not YOU!" :P

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Andymac1969

Yup!

Were the bootloader unlocked, the checking code could be stripped out, right?

"Typical of Orange" == pedantic and officious? :D

"Hullo, Orange? I own my handset, not YOU!" :P

Tesco here we come, had enough of Orange at the moment, we have 3 contracts with them, we will keep one for use on the OSD, but we have put two over to Tesco, Mrs and I two capped contracts for £17.50 a month for them both £7.50 and £10.00, the main reason is since EE came on the scene our signal has been utter rubbish, confirmed by Orange in a phone call, they are getting lots of complaints of poor reception since EE appeared

Andrew

Edited by Andymac1969

Guest glossywhite

Tesco here we come, had enough of Orange at the moment, we have 3 contracts with them, we will keep one for use on the OSD, but we have put two over to Tesco, Mrs and I two capped contracts for £17.50 a month for them both £7.50 and £10.00, the main reason is since EE came on the scene our signal has been utter rubbish, confirmed by Orange in a phone call, they are getting lots of complaints of poor reception since EE appeared

Andrew

"Bonjour! We are EE, Monsieurrrrr"

Orange are totally rubbish now, instead of mostly rubbish, as before, which will only give me MORE pleasure if I can crack their SIMlock :P

PS: Nearly forgot this titbit of hilarity - the "customer service" advisor I spoke to earlier, when asked if I could please speak to his manager, had the most incredibly unbelievable reply, when I asked how long they took to call me back:

"Anytime up to two weeks, sir..."

I thought this was a comedy sketch, and that he was pulling my leg in blatant way... but he was serious o_O

LOL!!!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest 1744633361

#### VITAL ####

Once the steps below have been taken, I think you MUST root it before reverting to Orange ICS...

Right... are you ready for this, dear boy? :P

1/ Download the Orange GingerBread dump ---> https://www.dropbox....7/dump.zip?dl=1

2/ Extract the folders inside that dump, to: "C:\SanDiego\tools\system" once extracted, it should be as below:

8617832938_a2ca96e79a_b.jpg

4/ Make sure you have the **XOLO** ICS "update.zip" sitting in "C:\SanDiego\tools\xolo" folder (on the PC, obv :P)

5/ Power down the handset, and whilst holding down VOL ( + ) *and* VOL ( - ) simultaneously, power it on (let go of power button once it double-vibrates to confirm it turned on :)) - keep holding volume buttons until you see a BLUE, "Tron"-esque android man, THEN let go of them (this is now in bootloader mode)

6/ Open a command prompt, also called a "DOS box" or "CMD", and type:

cd c:\SanDiego\tools

... then press [RETURN]

7/ Type EXACTLY what you see in the screenshot below: (fastboot.exe -i 0x8087 flash update xolo\update.zip )

8616754051_35856eccba_z.jpg

Your handset will sit in the Tron Android logo for a min or so - the screen may go black - don't panic, it'll still be working. Next, it will reboot itself into recovery mode and finish the process off. Finally, the handset will reboot into the OS - FRESH XOLO JUICE!! :P

### ROOT IT NOW, THAT IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME - DO NOT PROCEED PAST HERE BEFORE DOING SO ###

@@@ CONFIRMED @@@

You definitely need to ROOT before going back to Orange, and once rooted & it has rebooted, you'll need to run the "adbd Insecure" app, tell "SuperUser" to allow it, then in the "adbd Insecure", tick BOTH boxes, then do the Orange cross-grade from XOLO :)

That will get you back to freshly installed **XOLO** ICS, and you can then revert to Orange ICS using the tool.

:) I hope that has been helpful! :)

Toodle pip! :D

would you please send *Orange GingerBread dump* to my email<[email protected]> ,i can`t download *Orange GingerBread dump* from the internet here in China,and i need to revert my OSD back to factory Orange ICS from Xolo ICS too

thanks

Finally back to Stock:

And does that mean you secretly admire the orange theme, or is it simply for the purpose of the need for a return ?

The reason I ask is because for me, the jury is still out as to which of the two is better. Of course xolo is more vanilla but with jelly bean highly unlikley unless someone cracks bootloader, there is no reason to stick to xolo for that.

If the orange rom is better in some way, I remember it being a little smoother myself, if that is possible as this thing is already at warp speed. The ugly orange theme is easily replaced and bloat melted.

Edited by Guest

Guest BlueMoonRising

And does that mean you secretly admire the orange theme, or is it simply for the purpose of the need for a return ?

The reason I ask is because for me, the jury is still out as to which of the two is better. Of course xolo is more vanilla but with jelly bean highly unlikley unless someone cracks bootloader, there is no reason to stick to xolo for that.

If the orange rom is better in some way, I remember it being a little smoother myself, if that is possible as this thing is already at warp speed. The ugly orange theme is easily replaced and bloat melted.

If you are rooted and deleting the bloat there is absolutely no difference between the Orange and Xolo roms besides the colours.

Guest BlueMoonRising

would you please send *Orange GingerBread dump* to my email<[email protected]> ,i can`t download *Orange GingerBread dump* from the internet here in China,and i need to revert my OSD back to factory Orange ICS from Xolo ICS too

thanks

The GB dump is almost 400MB unzipped. I don't think any email program will let you attach that(although I may be wrong).

If you are rooted and deleting the bloat there is absolutely no difference between the Orange and Xolo roms besides the colours.

Stating the obvious, but I still say the UI is smoother on orange, it may be so minimal that it pointless even talking about but thats just my opinion. There is now with the unlikely xolo jelly bean more an advantage to being on the orange rom, it can be debloated and made to look stock ics easy enough and, there is the easy restoring to stock for returns just by going to recovery and flashing the update, returning to orange from xolo is of course not so easy. I myself just tried to go back through the tool and bootlooped like everyone else is saying, I manually put the files into right place as the download and extract is not working right as others have said as well.

Although I was working with ricky with the tool, I am useless at scripts really so if ricky does not come back and take a look, hopefully glossywhite will as he is good at scripting.

Edit: The logo flash is important as has been said, as soon as I done that first, the process works whereas if I dont flash the logo, the dump does not push and I bootloop.

Edited by Guest

Guest BlueMoonRising

Stating the obvious, but I still say the UI is smoother on orange, it may be so minimal that it pointless even talking about but thats just my opinion. There is now with the unlikely xolo jelly bean more an advantage to being on the orange rom, it can be debloated and made to look stock ics easy enough and, there is the easy restoring to stock for returns just by going to recovery and flashing the update, returning to orange from xolo is of course not so easy. I myself just tried to go back through the tool and bootlooped like everyone else is saying, I manually put the files into right place as the download and extract is not working right as others have said as well.

Although I was working with ricky with the tool, I am useless at scripts really so if ricky does not come back and take a look, hopefully glossywhite will as he is good at scripting.

Edit: The logo flash is important as has been said, as soon as I done that first, the process works whereas if I dont flash the logo, the dump does not push and I bootloop.

Lol, I'd thought you of all people left on here would have known that.

It has always been the case that you need to flash the Orange logo FIRST before trying to go back to Orange. I may even go back to Orange myself for the same reasons you quote. With root and the ability to de-bloat I'm happy as it is and would probably give JB a miss unless some other exploit was available.

Lol, I'd thought you of all people left on here would have known that.

Yes well, I have not been back to orange for some time, easy to forget stuff with other stuff filling the mind and others saying it is not needed, a perfect recipe for confusion. :lol:

edit: I am putting together a stock ics theme for orange deodexed in case anyone wants it, sorry I seem to have misplaced the original ;)

Edited by Guest

Guest glossywhite

You forgot to mention enabling USB debugging in your guide GlossyWhite.

If folk don't know that much by now, they wouldn't be at this advanced stage. Will add it later, thank you.

Guest Andymac1969

Andrew

Just got off the phone to Orange, talk about chalk and cheese, the problem I had was I bought the San Diego on PAYG and I never registered it, I just popped my pay monthly SIM in and away I went.

I have been having appalling trouble with the network coverage for about the last 4 months, we have both Orange and T Mobile contracts and both are now near useless at home, so my dilemma was a total jump of ship to Tesco via o2 or keep one Orange contract in order to use the San Diego still.

I phoned up and spoke to one Orange customer (service) rep, service in brackets for a reason, he told me to go down the local market and get someone to unlock it for £10, when I explained this was not possible he told me I didn't know what I was on about, and that they knew exactly how to unlock the OSD, at this point my signal died and the call ended.

I phoned back and spoke to a nice Irish guy, explained that the OSD had never been registered, topped up or advised to Orange and that I had just popped my pay monthly SIM into it, I explained why I wanted to leave (very poor signal) he confirmed a T Mobile mast had been turned off in October and a local Orange mast had not been working since December???? WTF, no wonder our signal is poor.

I was advised he would request an unlock from ZTE, I told him it was made by Gigabyte but he was told ALL Orange phones where made by ZTE, more customer training required me thinks, he then asked me to turn the phone off, remove the SIM and battery?? definitely more training required!!!

In the end they have requested my unlock code for me, on a phone that has never been registered or topped up, they say it will take up to 30 days, arrive by e-mail and they have put a £20.47 credit on my account to cover the cost of the unlock code, so the clock has started ticking on whether they live up to there word or not, oh and the Orange customer service rep who organised this for me, what network is he on, why 3 of course, you couldn't make it up!

Guest 1744633361

The GB dump is almost 400MB unzipped. I don't think any email program will let you attach that(although I may be wrong).

maybe i can give you an email to send that can attach up to 2GB

Guest 1744633361

IN China i can use QQmail to attach,i don`t know if you can use!

Guest BlueMoonRising

If folk don't know that much by now, they wouldn't be at this advanced stage. Will add it later, thank you.

And yet you put "6/ Open a command prompt, also called a "DOS box" or "CMD", and type:" in. If you don't put every single little step in then, like Ricky found out, you'll have multiple people PMing you asking "what went wrong?"

Guest glossywhite

And yet you put "6/ Open a command prompt, also called a "DOS box" or "CMD", and type:" in. If you don't put every single little step in then, like Ricky found out, you'll have multiple people PMing you asking "what went wrong?"

I think if you realise the context of the tutorial, and understand that it was a tutorial meant as a response to someone in trouble and not a general public tutorial (I'd start a new thread for that) then you'd see that it would be pretty obvious he would have already enabled debugging, as he had been flashing ROMs etc. A point of note: why would I be telling someone who couldn't even get his phone to boot to the OS, how to enable debugging? How would he have done so, if he was unable to get to a point where he could even access the OS?

Debugging to be ON, is not required in order to put your OSD into "bootloader" mode, manually, using the VOL ( + ) and ( - ) buttons, as shown in the post to which you are referring, in order to flash the XOLO ICS ROM, which then gets you to a point where you *can* get into the OS, enable debugging, and revert to Orange ICS.

Hope that clarifies things :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest BlueMoonRising

Except he didn't say he was still in a bootloop, he said it had put him into a bootloop. Like most people who have been here awhile he would have put it into a bootloop before and knew how to get out of it.

Guest glossywhite

Except he didn't say he was still in a bootloop, he said it had put him into a bootloop. Like most people who have been here awhile he would have put it into a bootloop before and knew how to get out of it.

The VERY IMPORTANT POINT you seem to have entirely missed, which was pivotal to my helping him, was that because it was not clear whether or not his OSD was still boot-looping, the more helpful (and logical) assumption was to assume fault condition and provide the information to fix the fault, than to not. You can fix an OSD that doesn't need fixing, removing doubt, by the method I described, which is obviously a better outcome that not doing so... right?

I'd rather fix a problem that wasn't there, than not fix it through ambiguity.

I'm doing helping better than you're not doing it. My information will have got him out of a fix - I'm more than pleased if you can help him more than I did :)

Thank you.

Edited by glossywhite

@Jiko that would be nice. Thinking of doing a stock Orange pack similar to Flibblesan but need to change a few things

Good luck with theming if you decide to theme orange rom, they do not do things the easy way. For example, theming frameworkres.apk, they thought it necessary to rename a whole bunch of pngs to orange_ :angry: so that when one is renaming them it is like being in orange school detention, prefixing stock pngs with orange :lol:

post-796032-0-33105100-1365168028_thumb.

• 1 month later...