Facebook Home download (including patched APK version)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Not able to run Facebook Home on your device from the Play Store because of where you live or because your device isn't supported? Help is at hand!

If you are on an officially supported device (in an unsupported country)...

Before installing Home you need to ensure that both latest Facebook main app (katana) and Messenger app (orca) are installed... once they are, use this link - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - to install Facebook Home then activate Facebook Home in the Facebook application's 'Settings' menu.

On an unsupported device? No option to activate Facebook Home?

Don't worry, I have you covered! I've patched the Facebook application to remove the device check. You need to uninstall your existing Facebook, Messenger and Home applications (necessary because the patched versions are re-signed), then install the patched Facebook main app (katana) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid), the patched Messenger app (orca) - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) and the patched Home app - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid). Sign in and in the Facebook application's 'Settings' menu the Facebook Home option should appear for you! :)

On an unsupported device? Rooted and want to use the unpatched versions?

The latest version of the MoDaCo Toolkit includes a module to make your device appear compatible to the unpatched Facebook app. Details are in this topic.

Let me know how you get on. One last thing - if you want to post about this elsewhere, PLEASE link back to this post, don't deep link the files or pinch them for yourself. Thanks.

P

Guest hostedathome

this works on a Google Nexus 3 But the Home app says device not supported yet you will receive a notification when its available

Guest JoaoFranco

Same on Sony Xperia S.

Confirmed working. Edit build.prop with the follow:

ro.product.model=SCH-I535

ro.product.name=d2vzw

ro.product.device=d2vzw

After, reboot your phone, and everything will work just fine.

BXheqL2.png

Edited by JoaoFranco

Guest roly33

There has got to be an easier way to get it working without editing the Build.prop as not everyone wants to Root their device just for 1 app, I for one refuse to Root my device & edit the build.prop just for Facebook home.

@PaulOBrien would it be possible to Decompile the .apk, modify Facebook Home to accept any device & Recompile it again?

Roland

Guest JoaoFranco

I have rooted for so many reasons and apps that worth it.

ps: I don't think that it's easy at all decompile an apk, disable a two way check (it check with the servers for version and infos above) and compile again, than just edit one text file.

Well, good luck then.

And thanks OBrien for the file.

Guest Avi018

Same on Sony Xperia S.

Confirmed working. Edit build.prop with the follow:

ro.product.model=SCH-I535

ro.product.name=d2vzw

ro.product.device=d2vzw

After, reboot your phone, and everything will work just fine.

BXheqL2.png

As you said I did with my HTC sensation using ES File explorer, But after giving reboot my set inst starting , after showing the HTC logo a black screen appears and nothing happens. Luckily I saved my old build.prop file, but how can i replace it now ? I can only go into recovery mode now. any way to usb mount system folder ? so that I can replace or edit the build,prop file ?

Guest roly33

I have rooted for so many reasons and apps that worth it.

ps: I don't think that it's easy at all decompile an apk, disable a two way check (it check with the servers for version and infos above) and compile again, than just edit one text file.

Well, good luck then.

And thanks OBrien for the file.

I've only had my SGS III Mini about 3 weeks and I don't really want to have to Root as I screwed my previous Android device (Sony Xperia Arc S) after Rooting it & Unlocking the Boot Loader, now everytime I flash a ROM it Randomly reboots, so I'm done with Rooting Iv'e got a Nexus 7 that is completely Stock and unrooted and I've decidded to do the same with my SGS III Mini.

Oh well at least I've got Chat Heads to keep me going until they decide to make more devices supported.

Roland

Guest teorouge

@joaofranco: you can use Aroma File Manager, as you can launch it from your recovery using recovery's "install zip from sd card" function. Browse xda for that. ;)

Guest Captain Throwback

The APK worked for me on my EVO 4G LTE (running Sense 5), after deleting the Facebook.apk from /system/app and installing the updated Facebook app & Messenger from the Play Store.

Thanks, Paul!

Edited by Captain Throwback

Guest Ze_Raketes

As you said I did with my HTC sensation using ES File explorer, But after giving reboot my set inst starting , after showing the HTC logo a black screen appears and nothing happens. Luckily I saved my old build.prop file, but how can i replace it now ? I can only go into recovery mode now. any way to usb mount system folder ? so that I can replace or edit the build,prop file ?

Why use ES and risk to mess it up?

Just use Build.pro from Play Store ;)

Guest Carbonize

Works on my SGSIII but messenger doesn't work if you set it to work as SMS/MMS messenger. Can't say I think that much of Facebook Home and don't think it's that revolutionary. Reminds me a lot of how Windows Phone displayed updates on the tile.

Guest earthling0001
I'm working on a non-root solution to let everyone use Facebook Home, watch this space!

P

Very excited to get this working on an unrooted Nexus 4. How long until we should we check back?

Can't wait!

Guest CPCookieMan

I'm also going to decompile it and take a look. It shouldn't be that hard, just instead of the code doing the method that returns the real info, you put in a new method that returns fake info. Then again, I may be completely in over my head. We'll see...

EDIT: PaulOBrien got it, cool beans.

Edited by CPCookieMan

Guest mhoyt77

I'm still having the same problem. Home apk is only 258 kb and I'm getting parsing error. the file you had up earlier this week didn't give me this error.

Guest earthling0001

Seems to work on nexus 4! I had to reinstall your home apk twice for some reason that's all. Thanks Paul! This screen is a thing of the past.

post-3905-1365811998597_thumb.jpg

Edited by earthling0001