Are there WP8 alternatives for all my must-have Android apps? [list]

Guest Linus X.

Guest Linus X.

Hi WP8 users!

I'm planning to join the club on a Huawei Ascend W1.

But before spending the 200 Euros I want to make sure all my most important Android Apps are available or replaceable by a decent alternative. Would appreciate if you could help me with this small list:

Must have:

Shazam

Line

Whatsapp

MobileVOIP

Google Translate

Jorte calendar + MyPhoneExplorer (offline sync with Mozilla lightning calendar)

Pretty nice to have:

Leo.org

imo (a messenger integrating facebook chat and skype, would love to see whatsapp, line, and maybe even sms in there)

Tripadvisor

Barcode scanner

Swiftkey

Google Maps (I know there is the Nokia thing, but is Google Maps available too?)

Period Tracker

I sincerely hope there are no issues finding these:

FlashLight

OI Notepad

Youtube

Alarm Clock Plus

And maybe a more general question: Are there many decent free apps in the Windows Store? I'm not used to paying for apps...

Cheers!

Linus X.

Guest Linus X.

Should I deduct WP8 users are less welcoming than Android people? ;-)

Or is it just because I can find most of the apps in my list in the WP store myself? Would still be nice to know whether they're good and if there are better alternatives...

Linus X.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PaulMilbank

If you have not decided to skip WP8 from lack of answers yet!... Shazam is available, Line is available, whatsapp is available, mobilevoip is available, Microsoft has a translate app, Jorte calendar is not. Leo is available, Imo is not, tripadvisor is available, barcode scanners are, There are no alternative keyboards like swiftkey, but the default one is good. No Google maps. Blame Google and its war with Microsoft for this one. Get a Nokia and the "here" and nav apps are top notch. There are plenty of period trackers (assuming you are not talking about how many full stops you use.) Flashlight, Skype (Owned by Microsoft now) and notepads are available, No Youtube (Google war Microsoft etc...) Metrotube is awesome. There is an alarm clock built in which works well, not sure what else you need in an alarm clock that requires a "plus" :)

Hope you enjoy the switch to WP8 if you decide to go for it. I have found it to be great compared to similarly priced androids. I got a Huawei Ascend W1 and it is way better than any NZ$300 Android. Get a Nokia if you can though. They have the best support for WP8. Something like the 720 would be highly recommended. HTC seems to be pretty invested in WP8 too. Samsung is far less so and Huawei, not at all. It is just a low to mid range phone with bare bones WP8 on it. Still happy with it though.

Guest PaulMilbank

I cant comment on the quality of most of the apps as I don't use them, but the new youtube update from Microsoft is amazing. Really clean and beautifully designed.

Guest Linus X.

Thanks for your extensive answer! Sounds quite alright then. Imo and Jorte are just good calendar and messenging apps. Alarm Clock Plus is the alarm app I'm used to: Using several alarms on different days, each with separate volume, sound and other settings. Hope WP8 can do something similar.

The big IF: The W1 just went from 110 to 140 Pounds. That makes me think again. And for now the other options are all Android, cause Nokia uses those tiny batteries. :-(

Anyway, if not me, maybe this thread will help someone else!

Linus X.

• 4 months later...

I have found it to be great compared to similarly priced androids. I got a Huawei Ascend W1 and it is way better than any NZ$300 Android. Get a Nokia if you can though. They have the best support for WP8. Something like the 720 would be highly recommended. HTC seems to be pretty invested in WP8 too