[Question] How do I flash to ext2/3/4 data partition using CWM?

Guest trueno2k

Guest trueno2k

As the title states/requests, I would like to know how I can achieve this when flashing zips in CWM and how I can modify my zips to flash straight onto the ext partition instead of the devices internal data partition? Currently trying to flash the proxi2_mod.zip to my Skate and always forgetting that the data is now mounted on to the ext partition of my microsd card :P so really would like to learn how I can do this!

Thanks & much obliged with all the responses! ;)

Edited by trueno2k

Guest trueno2k

A cheeky bump! :P

So many views yet no reply!... Is it possible to flash onto the ext data partition instead of the internal data storage?

Guest omegavesko

I'm honestly not sure. At least via a zip file, anyway. I know you can mount it via USB storage if the host PC supports it, and you can back up/restore it, so it's obviously capable of editing the contents.

Guest trueno2k
I'm honestly not sure. At least via a zip file, anyway. I know you can mount it via USB storage if the host PC supports it, and you can back up/restore it, so it's obviously capable of editing the contents.
Can you explain a little more with host PC "supporting it"? Do you mean by using adb commands for installs, pushes and pulls? Yeah, I already know that as I tried adb via usb to install TB when I first flashed this script, but in CWM, it does not recognise the data being remounted directly onto the ext partition and so in my head it still thinks I'm using the internal data storage!...

So, I would like to know is how I can rewrite the updater-script in zips to instead flash to the ext partition where my data folder/partition is holding most of the contents ( after it has gone through it's first clean/factory reset boot up )? I might have to look into the int2ext script and see how it works in there, maybe.

Guest omegavesko

Can you explain a little more with host PC "supporting it"? Do you mean by using adb commands for installs, pushes and pulls? Yeah, I already know that as I tried adb via usb to install TB when I first flashed this script, but in CWM, it does not recognise the data being remounted directly onto the ext partition and so in my head it still thinks I'm using the internal data storage!...

So, I would like to know is how I can rewrite the updater-script in zips to instead flash to the ext partition where my data folder/partition is holding most of the contents ( after it has gone through it's first clean/factory reset boot up )? I might have to look into the int2ext script and see how it works in there, maybe.

I mean the OS itself having support for the file system. Try it - If you mount your phone on a PC running an OS that supports EXT (say, Linux), your data and EXT partitions will mount as two separate drives. This tells me that CWM does have the ability to access the contents of your EXT partition.

But, like I said, I have no idea if it's possible to flash a zip to the EXT partition.

Guest hugobosslives

should defo be possible as things like nandroid backups will flash to the ext partition thought i have never tried to do its own so can't help you

either do some extensive researching (read trawl google) or hope that someone like C3C0 sees this thread :D

Guest trueno2k

Thanks all for your comments, but if no one knows how this can be done then there's no point in me using int2ext if I can't figure out a way to flash zips to data/* mounted on my ext partition!... It will take me forever to trawl through the internet/Google searches just to find something that might not have been done before, so I won't go there unless there's solid proof of people using int2ext scripts and flashing to their ext data partition on a regular basis using slightly modified commands in their updater-scripts' files!...

Guest trueno2k
I dont get it why you want to flash to ext2. You dont need that^^
I guess you don't really understand what I am trying to achieve here?!?... Well if you ever used int2ext scripts then you would!... I've configured my Skate to use 1GB ext4 partition as my main apps internal storage ( where only the data/data is stored on the actual device internal storage for faster i/o read & writes ) and so I can't flash to the /data which is mounted to /sdext/data which is on the ext partition, following with me here?...

Currently tried flashing a fixed version of proxi_update2.zip using CWM and finding out that the flash will not work due to CWM is flashing to /data/misc/ and not /sdext/data/misc/ ( of which is not really there in android via a file explorer app ), so, I need to know how I can change the coding in the updater-script file to accommodate for the ext partition mount!?

Hope you understand what I'm trying to achieve as this is the best way I can currently explain my reasons for this thread?!...

Still waiting on that command/codiing!?!

Guest honigfisch

I dont use int2ext

I am using nitroglass. More stable and better :P

Good luck with your project

Edited by honigfisch

Guest trueno2k
I dont use int2ext

I am using nitroglass. More stable and better :P

Good luck with your project

You saying that with nitroglass you can flash using CWM on to your skate and nitroglass accommodates for the flash updates?

Guest honigfisch

Try it by yourself

Nitroglass is better

EDIT: Yes i can flash updates. For example adreno patch, gps retriever patch...etc. but i dont know if the updates are flashed to ext2

Edited by honigfisch

Guest trueno2k
Try it by yourself

Nitroglass is better

EDIT: Yes i can flash updates. For example adreno patch, gps retriever patch...etc. but i dont know if the updates are flashed to ext2

hmmm, will it work with ext4 partitions? I am going to try the original int2ext ( created on XDA by Croniccorey ) as this one I'm using modded by C3C0 is a little buggy with play store and CWM... I will give Nitroglass a go if int2ext+ isn't working out...

Guest trueno2k
You will not regret it. Works like a charm on every GB Rom
Yeah, right!... Don't think I'll be going back to GB again ever!... I'll stick to JB, as I don't need to have complete compatibility access on my Skate!... As long as I can WiFi tether from it I be a happy bunny :P

And, in regards to the CronMod int2ext script, it still works with the Skate!... No needed to use C3C0 modified one as SlimBean is able to correctly init.d start CronMod int2ext script at boot up!... Currently using int2ext4+ and is running good so far ( touch wood though ), and it even help flashing zips correctly, is this because of zipalign method? Maybe so!...

Coincidentally I found that adb pushing the new dpi modded Play Store v4.0.26 actually helped me in getting more apps to install on to my Skate!!!... :P I am able to install Google Maps and TPT Helper, will be looking into other Play Store apps and check them out like games for example :P

I guess this thread can now come to a close and I thank you all that have contributed their comments to this thread...

Cheers all ;D