Recon Jet expands HUD technology from goggles to glasses

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Recon Instruments, creators of the Android based 'Mod Live' head up display used in a range of ski goggles, have announced 'Jet', their forthcoming product that brings the same technology to glasses.

Demonstrated at Google I/O in an early form, Recon Jet builds on the previous HUD product by adding a faster processor, improved screen, enhanced connectivity (Wi-Fi, ANT+, Bluetooth and GPS are now supported) as well as an all important HD camera / microphone (there's a speaker too). Despite packing in a ton of tech, the combined weight of the optics and the HUD is just 60 grams.

Being based on Android, Recon are actively encouraging developers to utilise the provided SDK to write apps to run directly on the deivice - live activity tracking, video streaming, web and smartphone connectivity and even Facebook integration are already being demonstrated but there's great potential for really innovative uses.

Style wise the device looks quite different to Google glass - a natural competitor, more like a pair of Oakleys with a chunky plastic HUD on. :) You might not necessarily be wearing them around town, but for sports use they could be awesome. I have a set of the Ski Goggles and they're are excellent.

Polarized optics make for ultra clear vision and patented gaze detection technology means the HUD only turns on when you need it. Like Glass, functions are controlled by a touch sensor but, as with the Mod Live HUD, a Bluetooth glove-friendly sensor is also included.

Pricing and availability are yet to be confirmed.

[Via: Anroid Police]

reconjetbig.png

Click here to view the item

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eLJay

So they seem to have achieved the goal of creating some really ugly glasses.

I'll wait for a few versions along if there ever are any.

Guest omegavesko

So they seem to have achieved the goal of creating some really ugly glasses.

I'll wait for a few versions along if there ever are any.

They aren't winning any design awards, but I still think it looks better than Glass.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.