29 replies to this topic

xgt001

xgt001

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Devices:Xolo X900
Hi guys I noticed a 58 mb update today. As I am rooted I can't install it. Could anyone please check it out and see if there are any improvements or changes?

utternoob

utternoob

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Laughing at chavs, Formula 1, Football and general technology
  • Devices:Skate, OSD, GT-P1010
  • Twitter:@terrymalyon2
I have a 35mb one on Xolo, downloading now. Feedback soon

Movies and books are installed, keyboard seems better and so does dictionary. Baseband and kernel have changed too

Edited by utternoob, 05 June 2013 - 10:00 AM.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

I may not know a lot, but there are others that do. If you have a problem, just ask

Sent with magic :)

xgt001

xgt001

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Good to hear that. Can you tell the time taken for Gps lock.. Also please tell if there are any heat signal improvements

shub

shub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:spv
did you loose root after update?

gwebb

gwebb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Nexus S, Nexus 7, OSD, Moto G

I have a 35mb one on Xolo, downloading now. Feedback soon

Movies and books are installed, keyboard seems better and so does dictionary. Baseband and kernel have changed too

Yes if fixes the dictionary issue, which was throwing errors even for simple words, I needed to use a 4.2 keyboard port (which I may stick with as I like the stock swiping more than Swype or Swiftkey).

GPS Status took 12s for a lock, but one reading doesn't tell you much. Mind you by comparison my Nexus S took 4 seconds, and God knows when I last used the GPS on that. :)

Edited by gwebb, 05 June 2013 - 12:57 PM.

utternoob

utternoob

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

I wasn't rooted to start with, but I wouldn't risk it

I may not know a lot, but there are others that do. If you have a problem, just ask

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Orange ics seems to have none....
This could be a sign we r actually getting jb??!!

utternoob

utternoob

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
Not likely, as any fixes would be added into JB rather than released for ICS

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Oh yeah. Thanks!

gwebb

gwebb

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Devices:Nexus S, Nexus 7, OSD, Moto G
FWIW the build date for the latest update is 28th May. So some development is likely still going on even if it's not the 4.1 that we want, and that Intel demoed last year.

pinkllama

pinkllama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:san francisco
hi all,

i was on stock orange until i read this post.

i've just installed the unrooted xolo rom from this post http://www.modaco.co...ctly-for-noobs/

just checked OTA update but its saying my phone is up to date.

is there any way to prompt the phone to download this update? or can anyone upload it?

cheers

xgt001

xgt001

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Btw if I installed this update after rooting will my phone work properly? I haven't deodexed or anything. Just rooted it and deleted social gallery. Any tips/advice?
Heating issues Gps lock network signal loss issues seems to be fixed after the three updates post the original ICS

I am ready to give up root :-D just afraid if the phone bricks after installing over root

Edited by xgt001, 05 June 2013 - 07:05 PM.

andysterling

andysterling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Looks like i can't root my phone after updating with this file, so back to the original xolo ics..

onlycfxe

onlycfxe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:AZ210A
I can't root (use the AIO tool) my San Diego (with xolo ics) after update the 58mb update via ota,how can i do?

abhishekcghosh

abhishekcghosh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

yes, I did.

azerty52117

azerty52117

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:orange san diego
Please, use "OTA Snatcher" from google play store and give me a link to download this update (mobile update crash...)

Edited by azerty52117, 23 January 2014 - 10:03 PM.

DaraelDraconis

DaraelDraconis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:OSD

Hypothesis:

Regaining root after installing this (58mb) patch should be possible, but would require some savvy and a certain amount of preparation.

Suggested method:  Before installing the update, copy su somewhere useful but unlikely to be erased by the patch.  Ensure it retains its ownership and the necessary permissions to be useful.  Update.  Use adb, or any other means of your choice, to become root by way of the copy of su.  Remount /system read-write using newfound root powers.  Read the root_me script and repeat the necessary parts.

I'll test this at some point.  Possibly tonight, but probably not, so if anyone feels the urge to pre-empt me, go right ahead.  We know it's possible to "update" back to stock ICS, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue if it doesn't work.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF

Hypothesis:

Regaining root after installing this (58mb) patch should be possible, but would require some savvy and a certain amount of preparation.

Suggested method:  Before installing the update, copy su somewhere useful but unlikely to be erased by the patch.  Ensure it retains its ownership and the necessary permissions to be useful.  Update.  Use adb, or any other means of your choice, to become root by way of the copy of su.  Remount /system read-write using newfound root powers.  Read the root_me script and repeat the necessary parts.

I'll test this at some point.  Possibly tonight, but probably not, so if anyone feels the urge to pre-empt me, go right ahead.  We know it's possible to "update" back to stock ICS, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue if it doesn't work.

I have to say you're a braver man than me ;)

I didn't think it was possible to go back to a stock 4.0.1 from the 58MB patch? Does the patch not block the exploit used to gain root?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

Darael

Darael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:San Diego: Xolo ICS
  • Twitter:@Meliral
Well (and yes, it's me; turned out I had an older account and that was why I couldn't use my preferred name. It's slightly complicated. Just ignore it), it's certainly possible to go from the orange-branded ROM with the 58MB patch to the stock Xolo ROM, and thereby regain the possibility of rooting the phone, just by "updating" from "external" storage (id est, update.zip). I'm assuming this holds true for the equivalent patch on the Xolo ROM. I'm about to try what I described in my last post (just waiting for an adb backup to complete), so I'll let you know the results.

Darael

Darael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:San Diego: Xolo ICS
  • Twitter:@Meliral
Alas, no joy. My copy (which I made in /system/wbin, wbin being an empty folder I'd created for the job) was changed to root.root, 0644 - and the original in /system/xbin, while it retained its global execute permissions, was stripped of its SUID bit. Still, it seemed worth a try. Maybe dumping a copy in /config instead of /system would work. That seems to be the only other persistent storage not mounted nosuid, so I guess it's worth trying another cycle. I'll be back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users