Photo

Faulty Power Button - returned from repairs as water damage!!!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF

I done it!
It was more or less seamless (once I actually read the manual instead of lazily asking each question in my head on here!)
Thanks to all who helped and especially glossy and Ricky for their work on the tool.
Now all that remains is to get this phone replaced under warranty due to this ineffective power button. What's the procedure for a replacement / repair - walk into the EE shop, or phone customer service?

Customer service.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Aye call

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Pulse 8220, OSD

Aye call

Customer service.

UPDATE: I couldn't face the phonecall to India so I wandered into the EE shop in Yeovil. Saturday was heaving so went down today in my lunch hour and spoke to a very helpful assistant who took my phone and sent it off for repair; said 7-10 working days. Got myself a Samsung Galaxy mini as a temp replacement (£60 deposit mind). Just trying to write txts etc. on the mini made me realise what a great phone the OSD is!.
I just hope the rest of the process goes as smoothly as the 'handover'.
Hopefully the 'exploits' I've installed on the phone will remain undetected. (I did get a bit paranoid and hurriedly removed ADBD insecure, root browser and root checker apps while he was getting my replacement :ph34r: )

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Lucky.....

Ca1unn

Ca1unn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, HTC Radar
  • Twitter:@Ca1unn
I submitted mine for repair last Saturday for the same fault and after EE loosing all the paperwork, they've decided to fix it, just keep trying different EE stores...

Posted Image

Orange San Diego & HTC Radar

GiffGaff'ed

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
I'm Pleased to report that I've received mine back from repair after 14 days.

Attached File  EE.jpg   64.17KB   34 downloads

Edited by Roger Barnett, 04 July 2013 - 10:36 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts
That is a lot of hassle to go through to just get one phone repaired. So many faults - why bother? Just ask for a different handset or money back - the San Diego is such a piece of utter junk.

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Please, this topic is about faulty power buttons.
1. I had a faulty power button, just like another guy on here
2. I gave my OSD back to EE for repair
3. They fixed it, within the promised time of 14 days
4. I'm a happy bunny, with my OSD back.

This topic is not about god, philosophy, or how much you lot hate each other.
I challenge ye all to stay on topic!!!

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,805 posts

Please, this topic is about faulty power buttons.
1. I had a faulty power button, just like another guy on here
2. I gave my OSD back to EE for repair
3. They fixed it, within the promised time of 14 days
4. I'm a happy bunny, with my OSD back.

This topic is not about god, philosophy, or how much you lot hate each other.
I challenge ye all to stay on topic!!!

Good call that man!

:) Sorry for de-railing, and I'll permanently shut up about the San Diego and my opinion on it, that is a guarantee :)

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts
Thread cleaned up. I don't care who started it but he three of you involved are just as bad as each other. This forum is supposed to be a nice & friendly place!

It ends now. If you don't like a member then ignore them!

Thedarkphonetech

Thedarkphonetech

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
^^ I agree

Mayapur

Mayapur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem with my Orange San Diego - the power button became progressively depressed and was almost impossible to switch on/off. Orange repaired the phone under warranty. Four months later, the fault re-emerged. The Orange repair centre initially refused to look at it on the grounds that the phone was not a UK model (it was running the XOLO ICS rom). My local Orange/EE shop sent it back, insisting (to their credit) that I had bought the phone in Exeter. The repair centre has since bounced the phone a second time, having damaged the phone casing, and are now using the 'water damage' excuse.

So, a couple of issues here:

1. There is a design fault with the power switch - this is clearly a common problem on the San Diego.

2. The repair centre is, for whatever reason, refusing to acknowledge this fault and are using any excuse to avoid fixing it.

3. They are causing damage to goods entrusted to their care.

My intention is to dig my heels in and insist on a repair or replacement. If they refuse, I will escalate the issue with Orange Customer Care, CISAS, and the Small Claims Court in that order. I would strongly encourage other owners of this phone to do the same.

Roger Barnett

Roger Barnett

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
You should have de-Xolo'ed it and Orangified it before sending back, which is exactly what I did.
You probably still could.

Raihan42

Raihan42

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Devices:San Diego
Power button just got stuck today :( anyone know if I can fix it myself?

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Power button just got stuck today :( anyone know if I can fix it myself?

Yes :- http://www.modaco.co...s/#entry2045624

It's tricky but if you take off the back and look at the power button there's an arm that comes down and rests on the button itself. You need to lift the button and place a thin small piece of card between the two. You may need to use a fine blade to gently remove a bit of plastic from the piece that just hides it to get easy access.
If you've never removed the back BTW it's held on by double sided tape that you need to gently prise up after separating the edges with your finger nail.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Raihan42

Raihan42

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Yes :- http://www.modaco.co...s/#entry2045624

It's tricky but if you take off the back and look at the power button there's an arm that comes down and rests on the button itself. You need to lift the button and place a thin small piece of card between the two. You may need to use a fine blade to gently remove a bit of plastic from the piece that just hides it to get easy access.
If you've never removed the back BTW it's held on by double sided tape that you need to gently prise up after separating the edges with your finger nail.

I've opened it up and placed a piece of card under the power button, the button goes back up but when I press it nothing happens. Have I done something wrong? Or is it supposed to go under the arm?

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

I've opened it up and placed a piece of card under the power button, the button goes back up but when I press it nothing happens. Have I done something wrong? Or is it supposed to go under the arm?

It goes between the bottom of the arm and the switch itself. The card has to be small enough not to catch on the edge of the black plastic shield which is what makes it tricky. I would try and trim the top edge of the plastic down a little to give more access.

Raihan42

Raihan42

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I've tried so many times now, I can't seem to get where it goes I've tried between the arm and switch, side ways and flat but nothing works. If it doesn't cause you any trouble I'd be great full if you could include some pictures of how it's done. Btw I think something might be broken because the right part of the button is more sunk in than the left.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

I've tried so many times now, I can't seem to get where it goes I've tried between the arm and switch, side ways and flat but nothing works. If it doesn't cause you any trouble I'd be great full if you could include some pictures of how it's done. Btw I think something might be broken because the right part of the button is more sunk in than the left.

I'll maybe try tomorrow, I work nights.

Raihan42

Raihan42

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

I'll maybe try tomorrow, I work nights.

If you don't have the time, don't worry about it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users