My memory isn't 512Mbytes!

Guest Patty1961

Guest Patty1961

Hi all,

I have a new G300 phone. Initially when I bought it I upgraded it to ICS but I was only able to download about 4 apps before I got a memory full error. I found this useless so I rooted my phone & upgraded to Jellybean (4.2.2). Anyway I have since looked at my memory in "Settings/Apps/Running" & it is only 324Mbytes used, & 75Mbytes free. Is this normal? I thought that I should have 512Mbytes total memory but these figures only add up to 399Mbytes. Is my phone faulty? I've looked on the internet for an answer but no one seems to have this issue like I have.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest denzele

Either i had way too many Heineken's or my my Ascend G300 showing 756MB memory ram? :blink:

Can somebody confirm this because I always taught ( and my friend google says the same ) that actually ram is 512 MB?WTF? I swear that previous bricked G300 had 512 mb...

Never ever before paid too much attention to it while checking apps in settings until this post made me do it..

And that makes me happy man.. :D bring another Heineken... :P

Guest kyan31

It seems people still don't understand how phones work lol.

The 700 MB partition is for your apps, and the 512 MB partition is your for your random access memory (RAM). Your RAM shows as only 370 MB or so rather than the full 512 as some of the RAM is taken and allocated to other services that actually need it. There is nothing wrong with your phone at all, this is just the standard for pretty much all known devices. I'm still surprised that people don't know this as this 'problem' always existed with every device we have owned or do currently own, whether its a computer, a tablet, or a phone.

Sent from Tapatalk 4 BETA

Edited by kyan31

• 2 weeks later...
Guest worg3

It's normal. I learnt that, because technologies always lie.

E.g When you buy a pen-drive with like 4GB or more. It always comes with less. like 3.7GB and that.

RAM is the same, but part of it is designed to run other services.

Guest dalyer

It's normal. I learnt that, because technologies always lie.

E.g When you buy a pen-drive with like 4GB or more. It always comes with less. like 3.7GB and that.

RAM is the same, but part of it is designed to run other services.

This also doesn't help:

http://en.wikipedia....sumer_confusion

but the main thing here is that Anrdoid phone RAM is normally (always?) split between the baseband/radio and main/application processors and the user's focus is often on what's available to the latter.

Edited by dalyer