Turn your Pebble into a Tesco Clubcard with a custom watchface

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Do you have a Pebble in the UK? You can use a custom watchface to turn it into a Tesco clubcard!

After reading this post on Reddit about adding a Starbucks barcode to a Pebble, I was inspired to try it in Tesco. The process (described in detail in the post above) involves first creating an image file of the required barcode, then using an online watch face generator to generate a watch face from the image which is then deployed to the Pebble via your phone. There's a couple of differences between the Starbucks card and a Clubcard - primarily the barcode is much longer, which made me doubt whether it'd work.

Sure enough, on my first test, it didn't want to play. I had used a black background which I figured was a mistake and next used a white background. It took a couple of tries... but (at a self checkout) - success! I think if I make the barcode fill the watch screen better it will be even more reliable! :)

There's 2 things I had to do over and above the tutorial linked above to get it working - I used the CODE_128 barcode type (required for the clubcard number) and I DIDN'T use the number printed on my clubcard. Why? Simply because when I scanned it with the Barcode Scanner app, it reported a different number. I used that one. :)

It's pretty neat really. I need to try it at more scanners now (a regular checkout and a petrol pump for example), but i'm impressed. :)

pebblebarcode.jpg

Click here to view the item

• 1 month later...
Guest 3shirts

This is great. Had a little play around with making it fill height, add borders etc but it seems to work best as yours is above: White background, centred and no border.

Still a little hit and miss but works with a little patience

• 1 month later...
Guest arronlee

Do you have a Pebble in the UK? You can use a custom watchface to turn it into a Tesco clubcard!

After reading this post on Reddit about adding a Starbucks barcode to a Pebble, I was inspired to try it in Tesco. The process (described in detail in the post above) involves first creating an image file of the required barcode, then using an online watch face generator to generate a watch face from the image which is then deployed to the Pebble via your phone. There's a couple of differences between the Starbucks card and a Clubcard - primarily the barcode is much longer, which made me doubt whether it'd work.

Sure enough, on my first test, it didn't want to play. I had used a black background which I figured was a mistake and next used a white background. It took a couple of tries... but (at a self checkout) - success! I think if I make the barcode fill the watch screen better it will be even more reliable! :)

There's 2 things I had to do over and above the tutorial linked above to get it working - I used the CODE_128 barcode type (required for the clubcard number) and I DIDN'T use the number printed on my clubcard. Why? Simply because when I scanned it with the Barcode Scanner app, it reported a different number. I used that one. :)

It's pretty neat really. I need to try it at more scanners now (a regular checkout and a petrol pump for example), but i'm impressed. :)

<!--url{2}-->

Click here to view the item

I am impressed, too. And I like the design of white background, centred and no border. It can be more perfect if you decorate it a little. Good luck.

Regards,

Arron

Edited by arronlee

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.