Vowney V8 - Will you upgrade?

Guest JetKun

Guest JetKun

http://www.gizchina....mt6592-details/

Well then guys, what do you make of this?

"As the V5 was a 5-inch 720p phone the V8 will be a natural progression of that and will feature a 5.5-inch 1080 panel with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. The 8-core MT6592 processor is expected to run at 2Ghz with a PowerVR SGX544MP4 multicore GPU, 2GB RAM and 32 GB of built-in memory!

A Sony 13 mega-pixel rear camera is also expected as is a battery larger than 2400mAh!"

Oof, that's some spec, but, screen is way too big

Edited by JetKun

Guest george109

Just one word: Wow! :D When do you guys think that it will be released? - as the Mass Scale Manufacturing has already started, but it will be limited as it says until November.

Sorry If it's wrong! I used google translate :unsure:

Edited by george109

Guest JetKun

Just one word: Wow! :D When do you guys think that it will be released? - as the Mass Scale Manufacturing has already started, but it will be limited as it says until November.

Sorry If it's wrong! I used google translate :unsure:

Well, I do not know when, but it will be interesting to see if the phone retails for much the same price as its younger brother, the V5, for 999 yuan

Guest george109

Well, I do not know when, but it will be interesting to see if the phone retails for much the same price as its younger brother, the V5, for 999 yuan

Hopefully, I would definitely buy that for £107.69 (according to Google). Hopefully, as the manufacturing window for the chipsets is short then the source for the Kernal should be published so then we can have CM10.1! :D

Guest JetKun

Hopefully, I would definitely buy that for £107.69 (according to Google). Hopefully, as the manufacturing window for the chipsets is short then the source for the Kernal should be published so then we can have CM10.1! :D

Relying on Mediatek to release source code under the GPL will never happen, I think. :(

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=32347025&postcount=15

Guest Rico_89

I like big phones but 5.5" is just too big.

Have you guys read this: http://www.modaco.com/page/news/_/android/mediatek-mt6952-8-core-cpus-arriving-later-this-month-phones-in-q4-r1169 I guess Octa cores will be coming out over the next few months, and they should score over 30 k in Antutu :o . I am happy with my current V5 so I am more than willing to wait and see what happens by next year with these chip-sets.

Guest george109

I like big phones but 5.5" is just too big.

Have you guys read this: http://www.modaco.co...nes-in-q4-r1169 I guess Octa cores will be coming out over the next few months, and they should score over 30 k in Antutu :o . I am happy with my current V5 so I am more than willing to wait and see what happens by next year with these chip-sets.

I like a big screen, I am the only one in my house that thinks that a 52 inch screen will be too small!

30K!!!! :o I WANT ONE NOW!!! :P

That is an amazing score from a device that will probably be less than £150!

Edited by george109

Guest elsita

I will not upgrade for sure, taking inconsideration the bad quality of V5, compass not working, and I think it never will so navigation and tracking is extremely bad or even unavalaible when walking, for instance, and 75% of the phones that are coming to spain have hardware defects in the screen, a white zone of pixels that go brighter all together, specially noticeable in white screens, when you write or read emails or in most web pages, the size of the spot varies from 1 mm to nearly 10 mm ...

it seems production standards are not what they should be, not even for china manufacturing standards ...

so i guess vowney as a brand will disappear as soon as the reality spreads, and the v8 will be releases as q8 or r8 or m8 under another brand name ... that is my guess while I have by my side my v5 packed waiting to send it back to china for repairing

you can watch what I am saying in this short video

Guest Rico_89

I have purchased two Vowney V5's and none of them have that issue with the white spot and I am able to use google maps on both of them, although gps lock can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get first lock but after that it locks up in a few seconds. Also I live in London and my network is Giffgaff which uses O2 and I always connect at H/H+ or sometimes 3g. It works like this for both of the phones I have purchased, but I have to say if I had your experience I would be just as frustrated as you and as for the compass app that does appear stay pointing north for one of the phones.

Would I purchase another Vowney, well if they had something that meets my needs, and is in the right price range, then of course. I knew of potential problems with GPS when buying from China but this wasn't an issue for me as it wasn't and still isn't a requirement for this particular purchase I have made. I wanted an HD IPS 5" screen with a decent enough camera and seeing as this was my first purchase, in this price range, from China then I wanted to spend as little as possible and the V5 ticked all the boxes for me personally.

I do hope that small companies like Vowney see the potential of selling to western markets and hopefully enough phones were sold for them to tailor their next generation of phones accordingly.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest elsita

it appears that the screen problem was bounded to the first bunch of v5 sent to Spain, a new bunch is arriving today and screen seems to be OK

Guest george109
I have purchased two Vowney V5's and none of them have that issue with the white spot and I am able to use google maps on both of them, although gps lock can take anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes to get first lock but after that it locks up in a few seconds. Also I live in London and my network is Giffgaff which uses O2 and I always connect at H/H+ or sometimes 3g. It works like this for both of the phones I have purchased, but I have to say if I had your experience I would be just as frustrated as you and as for the compass app that does appear stay pointing north for one of the phones.

Would I purchase another Vowney, well if they had something that meets my needs, and is in the right price range, then of course. I knew of potential problems with GPS when buying from China but this wasn't an issue for me as it wasn't and still isn't a requirement for this particular purchase I have made. I wanted an HD IPS 5" screen with a decent enough camera and seeing as this was my first purchase, in this price range, from China then I wanted to spend as little as possible and the V5 ticked all the boxes for me personally.

I do hope that small companies like Vowney see the potential of selling to western markets and hopefully enough phones were sold for them to tailor their next generation of phones accordingly.

it appears that the screen problem was bounded to the first bunch of v5 sent to Spain, a new bunch is arriving today and screen seems to be OK

It also seems like lots of V5s also have compass problems too...

Guest elsita

It also seems like lots of V5s also have compass problems too...

Lots? I'd rather say there is only one v5 with a working compass

Guest george109

I think a 5.5 inch screen will be perfect as then I can boast to my friends about the phone that is bigger than the galaxy S4 and only costs less than half of it!

• 2 months later...