[Help] External storage and ringtones

Guest Salamin

Guest Salamin

Hello, I have some issues with ringtones and my sd card.

Even if I'm using roms (Stock +) that have as default storage the sd card and not the internal 2 gb, when I reset my phone sometimes it changes to internal storage.

Also, my notification and call ringtones sometimes change to default, this doesn't match with the storage changing: I mean that sometimes storage changes and ringtones doesn't, and sometimes it happens the other way round.

I've read that this could have something to do with having your music in the sd card, but even the stock ringtones change to default.

Is there a way to solve this? I have a 2 gb sd card.

The phone is still great, but it's kind of annoying to set your ringtones every now and then.

Thanks in advance!

Guest sharkyo01

Well I had similar problems to this and it was because android like's to default storage options it self hence why when you restart it or reboot it changes it back to internal. I would let it just use internal storage at a guess your ringtones are changing because it cannot find the directory where you pointed it to when you set a custom one. This happens when you reboot / restart or turn it off. So I think your problems are all down to the fact of changing your default storage option!

Guest dalyer

Storage reverting to internal from external from time to time is a problem with many ROMs - certainly stock based but maybe all?

There was a theory that this was due to the card not responding "quickly enough" at boot time so the phone assumed that it was not present and reverted to internal. However I don't know if this was ever proven to be the (or a) cause. Some people also suggested different ways of formatting and/or partition aligning the sdcard to mitigate this problem. Even when the card was a high speed (e.g. class 10 or whatever). But again I don't know how much substance there was to all of this. I've certainly seen the problem on Stock+ as well but it has been reported elsewhere too as far as I recall.

Guest akarana

Also, my notification and call ringtones sometimes change to default

The phone is still great, but it's kind of annoying to set your ringtones every now and then.

Are you wanting to use a custom ringtone, not in the factory menu?

I found that to guarantee my custom choice stayed fixed I had to

1. format it to .ogg, and

2. with a root file explorer place a copy at /system/media/audio/ringtones/

I can't remember exactly now, but I've got a feeling the internal/card storage swaps stopped about then too.

Guest Salamin

Are you wanting to use a custom ringtone, not in the factory menu?

I found that to guarantee my custom choice stayed fixed I had to

1. format it to .ogg, and

2. with a root file explorer place a copy at /system/media/audio/ringtones/

I can't remember exactly now, but I've got a feeling the internal/card storage swaps stopped about then too.

Thank you, everyone, I'll try this and see if it helps. Gonna tell you if it works out!