Android 4.3 official - available now for Nexus devices and in AOSP

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, which has been leaked for a number of devices before today, is now officially available to download for the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (WiFi and 3G) and Nexus 10. The source code is also available now in AOSP.

The new OS, which is also rolling out on the new updated Nexus 7, includes...

• A new DRM framework an VP8 encoder
  • A simpler setup wizard
  • Additional language support - Android is now translated in Africaans, Amharic (አማርኛ), Hindi (हिंदी), Swahili (Kiswahili), and Zulu (IsiZulu).
  • Blueooth Smart built into the OS (FINALLY - hopefully we'll see this supported in FitBit, Pebble and the like soon)
  • Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 Profile support
  • Dial pad autocomplete
  • Disabled apps tab in settings
  • Enhanced photo daydream
  • Hebrew, Arabic, and other RTL (right-to-left) - now supported in the home screen, settings, and Phone, People, and Keep apps.
  • Improved tap-typing recognition algorithm
  • Improved wireless display support
  • OpenGL ES 3.0 support
  • Programmatic notification access (useful for apps like Pebble etc.)
  • Reduced latency for gamepads and joysticks
  • Restricted profiles (useful for restricting multi user logins for friends, family etc.)
  • Virtual surround sound using Fraunhofer Cingo™ mobile audio technology
  • Wi-fi location detection without turning on wi-fi all the time (!)

Android 4.3 also builds on the improvements that came in 'Project Butter', adding new optimisations that 'make Android even faster'.

Nexus owners can download the factory images directly from Google, HTC One or Galaxy S4 Google Play edition owners should receive their updates in the very near future.

Head on over to the Android website to learn more about the release.

smart-dialer-animated_v2.gif

Click here to view the item

Guest domenico lamberti

installed, and sweet mother of god its ridiculously smooth, smoother than the leaked one, and i might be crazy, but is the screen a teeensy bit more calibrated? nowhere near the amount that PA/Faux/Franco kernels have done, but it loooks better

Guest comicbookguy

it feels really good, but TB is very broken, so i can't get much back "on" even though i've managed to root it... lol

Guest comicbookguy

@comicbookguy: What's the problem with TB restore? System settings or apps data and settings?

it hangs on almost everything! then when you reboot you get a "mismatched uid's" warning. nova launcher fc's repeatedly after you restore backup.... with that and root not sticking i got bored and went back to MCMCR for the moment. i'm in work for the next 4 days so i need a reliable daily driver. Devs should be a bit more up to speed with it by monday night, and we might even have an MCR update.... ;)

Guest comicbookguy

@comicbookguy:

See this thread, there is a solution posted.

Post 51 and 52 are because of the TB error on restoring.

link? lol

Guest comicbookguy

so they're changing the folder structure again? it's getting a little messy...

Edited by comicbookguy

Guest comicbookguy

n4 battery life with stock kernel is comparable to modaco/cm10 hybrid ROM with franco kernel. A2DP and wired headset volumes are still disappointingly low but BT connection reliability seems much improved. WiFi seems better too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.