Beta 2: MoDaCo.SWITCH S4 i9505 support topic

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

About MoDaCo.SWITCH

MoDaCo.SWITCH is a unique ROM concept which allows you to have two ROMs on your device (Stock and Google Play Edition) but maintaining a single set of data that is shared between the two.

Switch has been in development for a while now and it is rather complex internally, so we will have a number of Beta phases where we are certain to find (and hopefully fix) any issues. :)

Yes, MoDaCo.SWITCH is in Beta. BETA! BETA! BETA! There may / will be issues and you use the ROM at your own risk. Back up any important data OFF YOUR DEVICE before you start.

Pre-requisites

Switch is tested on a European Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 that was originally running the PDA: I9505XXUBMGA / I9505OXXBMG3 / I9505XXUBMGA.

NOTE: This ROM is for GSM devices only.

Downloading

• I9505XXUBMGA / I9505OXXBMG3 / I9505XXUBMGA ROM for Odin - DOWNLOAD (HotFile) - MD5:
  • Odin 3.07 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 0bbef4a8c94e1940f1d3a2c0fb40ec3c
  • Beta 1 install zip part 1 - link sent via e-mail to testers or DOWNLOAD (MoDaCo Silver / Gold members - details) - MD5: 4552e86af9b67edec57c074d954c5a72
  • Beta 1 install zip part 2 - link sent via e-mail to testers or DOWNLOAD (MoDaCo Silver / Gold members - details) - MD5: f90c5758237860d1b07e9018fe176d21
  • Optional SuperSU 1.60 root package - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 36bdacd479b40a7ac5c1becb6a6b5cb1
    Installation

Switch is installed the same way as any other custom ROM, using a custom recovery - I personally strongly recommend TWRP (flashable via odin). Complete the following steps to install MoDaCo.SWITCH...
    • HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - flash a custom recovery to your device and back up all partitions including EFS. Then store these safely OFF THE DEVICE.
    • Optional but recommended - flash your device to the ROM linked above using Odin
    • Optional if you have a recovery installed but recommended - flash your device with TWRP using Odin
    • Copy the required zip files to /sdcard on your device
    • Power off your device by holding down the power button until it turns off
    • Enter recovery by pressing the power button while holding the volume up button
    • Select the recovery image's option to wipe data (hightly recommended)
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH part 1 zip
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH part 2 zip
    • Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the root zip (if required)
    • Select the recovery image's option to reboot (important: if prompted to fix root select 'Do Not Fix')

A wipe before installing is very highly recommended at the Beta stage. Do NOT wipe AFTER installing. It'll break stuff. ;)

Please note that after installing, the initial boot will take a while as currently (to aid fixes) the ROM is not odexed. This affects the initial boot time and uses some additional space on /data, but is not reflective of the post Beta release.

After you have installed and booted, you should complete the setup wizard. Next, run Switch from the app drawer to do an initial switch to the Google Play edition. You will then be taken through the Google setup wizard - you must complete these - do not exit out! After completing this wizard, you can switch back to Stock if desired and you're ready to go!

After installation you should use the 'SwitchUp' application to check for any OTA updates.

Root access

The Switch ROM is provided unrooted for ultimate compatibility! If you wish to have root access, flash the Switch root package above after flashing the ROM itself.

Beta notes

One feature that is currently still being tested is a telephony / MMS database compatibility layer for the ROM. While this is being refined, note that the telephony and MMS databases are siloed to their ROM. Again, this will change before the final release.

Maintaining ROM specific data

Although data is maintained between ROM switches, there are instances where you might not want this to be the case. For a launcher for example, you might want to maintain different setups for each ROM - I do this with Nova. To facilitate this, you simply need to add an exclusion file. This will be managed through the Switch app in the future, but for now simply find the package name for the app (it can be seen in the URL of the app at the Play Store - for example Nova Launcher is com.teslacoilsw.launcher) - and via ADB issue the following commands:

adb shell touch /data/SWITCH/exclude/com.teslacoilsw.launcher

Easy eh? To remove the exclusion, simply delete the file you just created.

Known issues

I'll update this list as testing proceeds, but the current known issues are as follows (all scheduled to be resolved for a future Beta):

[*]MMS / Call Log data is not shared between the ROMs (fix in testing)

And finally

This ROM includes parts of MakTaiL's 'untouched' S4 ROM, used with permission. Many thanks!

Guest PaulOBrien

Frequently asked questions

In use

• I am getting an RPC error when trying to install apps from the Play Store
    • To resolve these, remove and re-add the affected Google account. You may need to do this for both Stock and GPe modes.
    • I have booted to GPe and my status bar has disappeared!
      • To resolve this you need to clear the SystemUI data. To do this, ensure you are in GPe mode then either use a root explorer to delete /data/data/com.android.systemui or boot to recovery (from GPe mode) and run 'adb shell rm -r /data/data/com.android.systemui'. After a reboot the problem should be resolved.
        • I want to use a third party launcher but each time I Switch, I get prompted to choose the default launcher. Can I avoid this?
          • The way to avoid this would be to ensure that the 2 ROMs have the same launchers available, i.e. by using the 'disable button' to disable all other launchers in both ROMs apart form the one you want to use. So, if you wanted to use Nova as default on both, disable 'HTC Sense' on the Sense ROM and 'Launcher' on the GPe ROM.

[*]I can't get Xposed to install, does it work with Switch?

[*]Xposed is currently unsupported on 4.3. I am working on an install zip for Switch however.

Donations

[*]Can I donate to say thank you for the ROM and to support future developments?

• Sure! The best way to do so is with a MoDaCo subscription - see the store for more details.

Guest PaulOBrien

Changelog

23rd August

• Beta 2 release - this has been deployed using the 'SwitchUp' OTA client and resolves an issue with the contacts application.
    22nd August
    • Beta 1 release

21st August

[*]Preview video release!

Guest toxicpaulution

First :) Anywho, will be keeping this as a new tabbed bookmark. I am super excited to see where this goes and use it. :) good luck sir I ha\ope to see some amazing updates :)

Guest dr_ysp

Hi, Paul, recently did a shift from HTC one to Galaxy s4, one of the things i noticed, that they have completely lockdown bootloader, any thoughts about that, Sorry its bit offtopic. but surely that may prevent from switch working as it should.

Guest toxicpaulution

Hi, Paul, recently did a shift from HTC one to Galaxy s4, one of the things i noticed, that they have completely lockdown bootloader, any thoughts about that, Sorry its bit offtopic. but surely that may prevent from switch working as it should.

Well AT&T and Verizon do, But as he stated that "Just a follow up re: compatibility as i've received a few questions about this - the Switch ROM should function on any S4 that can happily run i9505 ROMs. 'Powered by MoDaCo.SWITCH' will in the future allow all ROM developers to use Switch for their own ROMs." So it is meant for the i9505 but if we can run a ROM made for it then we can run it which means people on AT&T with lokidoki file can run it.

Guest Roberto Spinosa

Hi Paul, i give 5 £ as donation's project modaco switch for Galaxy S4 9505. Well how i will know if i am able to download your switch?

Sorry for question but i don't understand how it goes this thing.

Regards

Roberto

Guest Sjokoprins

CANT WAIT!

Also, when the Switch is working do we need both official stock roms (samsung and GPe) or can we use custom roms like Wanamlite + GPe ? Just curious.

Well anyway if its only stock roms they have to be final roms not beta right?

Guest roanitas

Hi Paul

Happy to see a feat of you on the galaxy s4!

Is it still possible to give you a Donation to enjoy this pre-release?

Thank you in advance and congratulations for this initiative offers improved: two systems but only one data!

Roan

Guest Dublinz

I dont think its off topic,currently i9505 have several issues with Google edition roms (pin lock bug and wallet ) therefore i also do think that it is bootloader related, i do hope that Paul have find the way to go around this and similar problems and that switch will provide us with fully working GE rom.

Nevertheless i love switch concept and driving idea behind, therefore i chip in thought my funds are very very limited .... Hats up to u Paul ( and team)

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Paul

Happy to see a feat of you on the galaxy s4!

Is it still possible to give you a Donation to enjoy this pre-release?

Thank you in advance and congratulations for this initiative offers improved: two systems but only one data!

Roan

I'll think about the best way to manage this!

P

Guest RyanBrooks

Hey Paul!

I am an idiot and missed out on the indiegogo fundraiser as well! Is there anyway I can still donate and get in on the pre-release as well please?!?!

Edited by RyanBrooks

Guest a-haan

Just wondering, will apps2sd be possible with the Touchwiz Rom with switch alongside or will be possible on either Roms - What will the file system layout look like, very interesting...