MoDaCo.SWITCH is a unique ROM concept which allows you to have two ROMs on your device (Stock and Google Play Edition) but maintaining a single set of data that is shared between the two.
Switch has been in development for a while now and it is rather complex internally, so we will have a number of Beta phases where we are certain to find (and hopefully fix) any issues.
Yes, MoDaCo.SWITCH is in Beta. BETA! BETA! BETA! There may / will be issues and you use the ROM at your own risk. Back up any important data OFF YOUR DEVICE before you start.
Switch is tested on a European Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 that was originally running the PDA: I9505XXUBMGA / I9505OXXBMG3 / I9505XXUBMGA.
NOTE: This ROM is for GSM devices only.
- I9505XXUBMGA / I9505OXXBMG3 / I9505XXUBMGA ROM for Odin - DOWNLOAD (HotFile) - MD5:
- Odin 3.07 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 0bbef4a8c94e1940f1d3a2c0fb40ec3c
- Beta 1 install zip part 1 - link sent via e-mail to testers or DOWNLOAD (MoDaCo Silver / Gold members - details) - MD5: 4552e86af9b67edec57c074d954c5a72
- Beta 1 install zip part 2 - link sent via e-mail to testers or DOWNLOAD (MoDaCo Silver / Gold members - details) - MD5: f90c5758237860d1b07e9018fe176d21
- Optional SuperSU 1.60 root package - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: 36bdacd479b40a7ac5c1becb6a6b5cb1
Switch is installed the same way as any other custom ROM, using a custom recovery - I personally strongly recommend TWRP (flashable via odin). Complete the following steps to install MoDaCo.SWITCH...
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - flash a custom recovery to your device and back up all partitions including EFS. Then store these safely OFF THE DEVICE.
- Optional but recommended - flash your device to the ROM linked above using Odin
- Optional if you have a recovery installed but recommended - flash your device with TWRP using Odin
- Copy the required zip files to /sdcard on your device
- Power off your device by holding down the power button until it turns off
- Enter recovery by pressing the power button while holding the volume up button
- Select the recovery image's option to wipe data (hightly recommended)
- Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH part 1 zip
- Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the SWITCH part 2 zip
- Select the recovery image's option to install zip and select the root zip (if required)
- Select the recovery image's option to reboot (important: if prompted to fix root select 'Do Not Fix')
Please note that after installing, the initial boot will take a while as currently (to aid fixes) the ROM is not odexed. This affects the initial boot time and uses some additional space on /data, but is not reflective of the post Beta release.
After you have installed and booted, you should complete the setup wizard. Next, run Switch from the app drawer to do an initial switch to the Google Play edition. You will then be taken through the Google setup wizard - you must complete these - do not exit out! After completing this wizard, you can switch back to Stock if desired and you're ready to go!
After installation you should use the 'SwitchUp' application to check for any OTA updates.
The Switch ROM is provided unrooted for ultimate compatibility! If you wish to have root access, flash the Switch root package above after flashing the ROM itself.
One feature that is currently still being tested is a telephony / MMS database compatibility layer for the ROM. While this is being refined, note that the telephony and MMS databases are siloed to their ROM. Again, this will change before the final release.
Maintaining ROM specific data
Although data is maintained between ROM switches, there are instances where you might not want this to be the case. For a launcher for example, you might want to maintain different setups for each ROM - I do this with Nova. To facilitate this, you simply need to add an exclusion file. This will be managed through the Switch app in the future, but for now simply find the package name for the app (it can be seen in the URL of the app at the Play Store - for example Nova Launcher is com.teslacoilsw.launcher) - and via ADB issue the following commands:
adb shell touch /data/SWITCH/exclude/com.teslacoilsw.launcher
Easy eh? To remove the exclusion, simply delete the file you just created.
I'll update this list as testing proceeds, but the current known issues are as follows (all scheduled to be resolved for a future Beta):
- MMS / Call Log data is not shared between the ROMs (fix in testing)
This ROM includes parts of MakTaiL's 'untouched' S4 ROM, used with permission. Many thanks!