Xiaocai X9 - Updated. Root info. Benchmarks etc.

Guest Frankish

Guest peterhugelberg

Im not sure, i never looked into porting CM just because there isnt a single mtk Device with a CM Rom (official or unofficial) also you would need to implement the whole dual sim functionality

Hello there,

i got my device today, i did all the root and stuff, installed MIUI rom, but the i got several problems...

the phone started on chinese, got lots of weird messages and script problem and i wasnt able to use the phone...

from there i reach to the factory mode, from some reason its in chinese also! but from somehow i succeeded to put the phone on english.

can some1 help me put the factory mode in english? i want to put Google Play and Hebrew language to the system, the phone can be in english or chinese (keyboard is fine...)

and also it seems that after i install the MIUI rom the phone went unrooted :/

Thanks in advance! 

Guest daisyhayseed

Thanks to Frankish et al for setting up this thread and providing so much helpful information.

I received my X9 yesterday and using the information provided I succesfully rooted and installed CWM.

I ordered the X9 as a "stop gap" option, as I recently broke my Zopo C2. Considering the price for the phone (Sub £90 after delivery) I am very impressed with the build quality and the standard of the OS it came installed with (Android 4.2.1). Fair enough, the X9 is entirely plastic, but it doesn't feel cheap. While I am missing the screen size of the C2 I am really impressed with how light and slim the phone is. I'm impressed with the sound produced by the back speaker and it has a lovely IPS screen too.

I have one question for everyone. Is there any real benefit in switching from the stock firmware to another ROM (MIUI, ASOP, other) at present?

Cheers

Guest CambodianGuide

Hello all fri! 

I'm newbie, I had used couple of Android phone before, I'm considered a mid-average Android users, so I'm not hesitant to buy any China Android Phone. Now I'm looking for a good phone with price under 200$ (or higher alittle bit is ok) with have all function as this XiaoCai X9.

I just done some research and know Xiaocai just released their new phone: a X9 Pro with MTK6589T, 4.5 inch screen with HD screen, 32Gb Rom, 2Gb Ram...? Could you confirm if these information is true? Cause I didnt have much time to do research...

Could you please help me answer some question? Is Xiaocai X9 have all  these functions?

- Good screen quality (I love photography, I dont need it like iphone or LG, Pantech's screen... but I need it is good enough)

- MTK6589 is ok, no doubt.

- Battery is ok?

- The most important is: does its camera good enough to take clear, nice photos? AND HOW ABOUT MUSIC QUALITY VIA HEADPHONE? I'm really a fan of music (any types) so I would fall in love with a phone support high quality output via good headphone.

I prefer a light phone so phone with screen over 4.7inch is not ok for me. Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to see your help!

Sorry for my bad English :( :)

I made a new Rom images based on X9-W100Port-Frankish-V1.1

Improvements:
Removed everything Thl,

• Removed Thl bootlogo
  • Recoded to have AOSP Lockscreen (was hardcoded all over the place)
  • Default Jellybean lockscreen background like this
  • Removed settings for thl lockscreen

Changed to modem.img version V6.P8
All gps fixes done (gps.conf & build.prop)
Rooted the boot.img

And found a way to store volume configuration in the rom!
Clear and loud on default.

I didn't find a way in the sources to change the lockscreen wallpaper dynamically. But for themers, its easy to find in framework-res
Otherwise use holo-lockscreen or something like that.

X9-W100Port-Nhede-V1.0.zip

Thanks to Frankish for the previous rom, and to RiseAgainst (from www.android-hilfe.de) for collecting all the info.

mirrors:

share-online.biz: Share-Online - dl/7TS1ZRXMZA
megashares.com: http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=LZh4Zjg
bitshare.com: Download X9-W100Port-Nhede-V1.0.zip - BitShare.com - Free File Hosting and Cloud Storage
uploaded.net: X9-W100Port-Nhede-V1.0.zip (291,48 MB) - uploaded.net
depositfiles.eu: DepositFiles
uptobox.com: Download W100Port Nhede zip
bayfiles.net: BayFiles
turbobit.net: http://turbobit.net/0gqbr4cblpgu.html
rapidgator.net: Download file X9-W100Port-Nhede-V1.0.zip
uploadhero.co: X9-W100Port-Nhede-V1.0.zip - UploadHero
filerio.in: http://filerio.in/hq43m1wxeqgi
uppit.com http://uppit.com/ilkkgu9m0un6

Guest zurpher

@Nhede

Do you think it would be possible to modify the ROM so that one can select that all calls and/or texts are made from only one of the two sim card slots?

@zurpher

When you have inserted two sim cards, it ask if you want the dual button interface, or you want a leading sim card (single button interface).

I didn't investigate it any further but it sounds like the single button interface selection, is what you want.

As far as I know, it is not possibe to assign one card to texting, and the other to calls.

Offcource you can modify the rom, but understanding and changing the decompiled smali code is not a simple thing to do, and will take a lot of time.

Guest Degurney

Nice one :) thanks for this.... going to give this a try now :)

Improvements:

Removed everything Thl,

• Removed Thl bootlogo

Rooted the boot.img

I didn't find a way in the sources to change the lockscreen wallpaper dynamically. But for themers, its easy to find in framework-res

Thanks to Frankish for the previous rom, and to RiseAgainst (from www.android-hilfe.de) for collecting all the info.

mirrors:

share-online.biz: 

Share-Online - dl/7TS1ZRXMZA

bitshare.com: Download X9-W100Port-Nhede-V1.0.zip - BitShare.com - Free File Hosting and Cloud Storage

Guest Degurney

Hi Nhede.. tried your rom.... had to revert... after a reboot I couldn`t get my network to work again.... I had a ? over my network signal and couldn`t fix that! any ideas??

Darren

Improvements:

Removed everything Thl,

• Removed Thl bootlogo

Rooted the boot.img

mirrors:

share-online.biz: 

Share-Online - dl/7TS1ZRXMZA

On first time running the image I need to change provider settings (mobile networks - names accespoints) . the server verification type to "pap and chap" and back to none again, before it connects. But this is to get the 3g connection.

I needed to do this on other rom's / modem.img as well.

The newer modem.img I used was to fix problems with O2 provider users, according to RiseAgainst

If the above doesn't work, can you try the old modem.img

to see if it maybe wasn't such a good idea to change to the newer one.

original modem.img in /system/etc/firmware

I can only test with vodafone provider, so more input on this issue is welcome

Edited by Nhede

Guest daisyhayseed

Hi Nhede

I'm using your ROM and I haven't encountered any loss of network following a reboot. Things seem to be working OK for me. For reference, I'm on the Three network.

Cheers for your contribution to the community.

Daz

Guest Hurders

Great ROM Nhede. On the lock screen image, with the original W100 port if you used Xposed Framework with Gravity Box it used whatever wallpaper you had set as the lock screen background. This doesn't work anymore, is there an easier way to match lockscreen background to wallpaper without editing system files etc?

The easy way is to have a locker app installed. Mi locker / holo locker.

after you set settings->security->screen lock to none, this is to prevent the system locker from showing before the installed lockscreen app is loaded.

Thl hardcoded the original lockscreen all over android.policy.jar

atm there are two places in KeyguardViewManager.smali where the wallpaper is hardcoded to the resource (search for 0x1080614)

If I remove these, the lockscreen is just black. And I didn't find where the wallpaper should be normally set yet.

Also the gallery setting the lockscreen wallpaper option was removed by Thl.

So it would take some time to fix all these things.

Maybe in the future I will look into it again. But for now I wanted to share what I allready had :)

Guest Hurders

Yes install the MI Locker from Store!

The easy way is to have a locker app installed. Mi locker / holo locker.

after you set settings->security->screen lock to none, this is to prevent the system locker from showing before the installed lockscreen app is loaded.

Thl hardcoded the original lockscreen all over android.policy.jar

atm there are two places in KeyguardViewManager.smali where the wallpaper is hardcoded to the resource (search for 0x1080614)

If I remove these, the lockscreen is just black. And I didn't find where the wallpaper should be normally set yet.

Also the gallery setting the lockscreen wallpaper option was removed by Thl.

So it would take some time to fix all these things.

Maybe in the future I will look into it again. But for now I wanted to share what I allready had :)

Unfortunately, as with all these 3rd party lockscreen apps, they don't really work properly if you use a security pattern to unlock as you end up unlocking via a swipe on the app then you have to unlock with security pattern via the standard android lockscreen which still has default background rather than your wallpaper.

Nhede, as I said in previous post, the original THL100 port would allow XposedFramework/GravityBox to use the current wallpaper as the lockscreen background even using a security pattern where as your rom doesn't let Gravity Box do this anymore? Any reason why that could be?

Really like the rom otherwise, no THL boot logo and increased speaker volume is really good.

I will check if I can see why it does not work. I think XposedFramework/GravityBox changes framework-res.apk layout stuff internally.

but because mediatek related roms, are based on mediatek sdk stuff that have a different implementation for the lockscreen, its all a bit messy.

actually andoid lockscreen and mediatek lockscreen co-exist in de sources, and look the same. So I think gravitybox is just a bit confused with some of the layout xml files I copied from the Caios and Sony rom, to fix centering of the glowpad (sliding lock thing).

Edit:

I just tested latest xposedframework with latest gravitybox,

de.robv.android.xposed.installer_v25_36cbbc.apk (put in /system/app)

gravitybox JB 2.8.2 installed using xposedframework module downloads

needed to enable xposed, reboot, enable gravitybox, reboot again.

Then changing the wallpaper for lockscreen in gravitybox worked, on swipe, pin and pattern.

so I don't know what you are doing different, but its working here.

Edited by Nhede

Guest Hurders

I will check if I can see why it does not work. I think XposedFramework/GravityBox changes framework-res.apk layout stuff internally.

but because mediatek related roms, are based on mediatek sdk stuff that have a different implementation for the lockscreen, its all a bit messy.

actually andoid lockscreen and mediatek lockscreen co-exist in de sources, and look the same. So I think gravitybox is just a bit confused with some of the layout xml files I copied from the Caios and Sony rom, to fix centering of the glowpad (sliding lock thing).

Edit:

I just tested latest xposedframework with latest gravitybox,

de.robv.android.xposed.installer_v25_36cbbc.apk (put in /system/app)

gravitybox JB 2.8.2 installed using xposedframework module downloads

needed to enable xposed, reboot, enable gravitybox, reboot again.

Then changing the wallpaper for lockscreen in gravitybox worked, on swipe, pin and pattern.

so I don't know what you are doing different, but its working here.

Nhede, I tried again, did a full wipe and installed your rom again with latest xposedframework in system/app. Ran/installed xposed, rebooted, installed gravity box (jb) via module downloader, enabled/rebooted. No joy, lockscreen image is still the default jellybean one. If you change the gravitybox settings to use a custom image then that seems to work (but not a proper solution) but if you have the setting as default background it always goes back to the standard jellybean background on the lockscreen rather than whatever you have as your current wallpaper.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sttcharl

I am using the THL W100 Rom and cannot figure out how to fix a problem I am having with it.  While the phone is charging the screen stays lit, will not go to sleep.  When it is fully charged, the screen goes to sleep.  Under Developer Options, Stay Awake is unchecked.  Anyone have an idea what is causing this?

• 2 months later...
Guest Degurney

Hi all....

Will this phone work in the USA?. I'm moving there in June... Want to know if I need to sell them beforehand...

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sttcharl

Hi all....

Will this phone work in the USA?. I'm moving there in June... Want to know if I need to sell them beforehand...

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes it works in the US.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest woofleboofle

Hey everyone,

Just got my xiaocai x9s and rooted and attempted to flash a new rom onto it. I must have done it incorrectly and now it won't boot. It gets stuck on the XiaoCai logo and won't go any further.

Is there a way to enter recovery mode on the x9?? eg. holding power button and volume button. I haven't been able to find anything searching...
Otherwise it seems my phone is bricked :(

Guest woofleboofle

So I've tried every possible combination i can think of.
hold volume - before switching on power.
hold volume + before switching on power.
hold volume - and + and power!
hold volum -/+ then power, then release power and continue holding volume...
holding phone tightly in my hand until i can almost feel the screen about to break, and then shouting cursing words.
nothing has worked so far... well.. the last one i felt was getting somewhere.

I waited 6 weeks for this phone. can't believe it :(

Guest woofleboofle

No unfortunately now the battery has run out of charge, and it won't charge in the state that it's in.
Which means I really can't do anything.

Only possibility would be to take it to a service/repair center. But in Australia... that's going to cost me about as much as buying another one.

So, I had to order another one. Really can't believe it. Waited 6 Weeks... and i broke it within an 2 hours. Hmm.... breathe slowly. breathe slowly....

Also, for those wanting to root a x9s (MTK 6582, not 6589), I found using root genie useful (http://www.sjroot.com/). Worked very smoothly. Checked with root checker app, no issues. I could not get the moto auto chopper method listed in this forum to work for the 6582.
As far as flashing a new rom.... again, the method on this forum won't work on the x9s. You could try uncle mtk tools with a different image. Didn't try that, instead I opted to use mtk droid tools... but yeah, I won't give any more advice there!! Unless you also want to brick your phone :S 
Just make sure you read a lot more than I did.....

When i get my new one, I will charge the battery and see if maybe on a full charge i can enter the recovery mode. (In case anyone else has had this issue).