YOU USE THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! We take no responsibility for any problems caused.
Pre-requisites are as follows:
- A computer running Linux (a live CD should work) - I am currently looking at the Windows / OS X options
- A Hudl running ROM version 20130923.020558 or 20131016.200812 (check in Settings -> About -> Hudl Updates) - do NOT install on other versions
- A microUSB cable to connect the Hudl to your computer
- A pin to press the reset button
- download this package for 20130923.020558 only! DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f32f67b3d7942a0d0ec2da3323833813
- download this package for 20131016.200812 only! DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: f895af4991439be522df78ad8cd4ab78
- extract the zip
- plug the hudl in via USB and press the reset pin while holding volume up (the device will appear to stay off)
- open a terminal window to the extracted directory
- run 'sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh'
- wait for it to complete
- the device will now go into 'charging' mode, turn it on as normal
- when the device has booted, install SuperSU from the Play Store
- try a root app - it should work!
Note that the process creates a backup of your stock system image... just in case...
PS ROM developers? This flashes a regular Ext4 system image. If you want to mod your device? You can, by modding the image and re-flashing!