TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Gaming, Phones, Photography
  • Devices:OnePlus One, Moto G, Hudl

If it's saying "cannot execute binary file" then that's Linux speak for "I don't understand how to run that" and it probably means: "you're trying to run an x64 binary on an x86 install".

Hmm... My computer is a 64 bit machine, and my Ubuntu 13.04 is also the correct 64 bit version. It can't be anything to do with that?

I'm a bit unsure on this but perhaps the problem is being caused by running Ubuntu from a USB stick, or something like that. It's really difficult for me to do this root because the persistence on the USB doesn't seem to work; so every time shut down the computer i have to copy the files back over to the Ubuntu USB when i switch back on again.

Is it okay if the Hudl doesn't show up in the file explorer, while in flashing mode? I can't help feeling that might have something do with it also. 

And, do i need the Android SDK installed?

Someone really needs to make a tutorial to make this whole process a heck of a lot easier! For people like me who have little experience with Linux, this root is a complete nightmare... :(

Rem1x

Rem1x

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 // Hudl // One X
  • Twitter:@__foy

Hmm... My computer is a 64 bit machine, and my Ubuntu 13.04 is also the correct 64 bit version. It can't be anything to do with that?

I'm a bit unsure on this but perhaps the problem is being caused by running Ubuntu from a USB stick, or something like that. It's really difficult for me to do this root because the persistence on the USB doesn't seem to work; so every time shut down the computer i have to copy the files back over to the Ubuntu USB when i switch back on again.

Is it okay if the Hudl doesn't show up in the file explorer, while in flashing mode? I can't help feeling that might have something do with it also. 

Someone really needs to make a tutorial to make this whole process a heck of a lot easier! For people like me who have little experience with Linux, this root is a complete nightmare... :(

There was a dodgy Chinese program mentioned, that works. (seems dodgy, though :P)

Posted Image
Posted Image

jamesglanville

jamesglanville

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:tesco hudl

I rooted my hudl from a liveusb (didn't work in virtualbox :s), you should be able to copy the files to the root of the usb stick from windows (i assume?), then you can find them from linux once booted in /cdrom/. 

The hudl won't show up in the file explorer when in flashing mode, that's expected (it's not behaving as a mass storage/mtp device, just a weird recovery device)

You don't need anything installed, the zip was enough for me with a recent version of ubuntu.

EDIT:

also "sudo bash sh flashroot.hudl.linux.sh" is weird, it should just be:

sudo bash flashroot.hudl.linux.sh    (the extra sh won't do anything at best, and will stop it working at worst)

OR

chmod +x flashroot.hudl.linux.sh   (makes the script file executable)

sudo ./flashroot.hudl.linux.sh        (executes it)

Edited by jamesglanville, 07 October 2013 - 11:21 AM.

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

I rooted my hudl from a liveusb (didn't work in virtualbox :s), you should be able to copy the files to the root of the usb stick from windows (i assume?), then you can find them from linux once booted in /cdrom/. 

The hudl won't show up in the file explorer when in flashing mode, that's expected (it's not behaving as a mass storage/mtp device, just a weird recovery device)

You don't need anything installed, the zip was enough for me with a recent version of ubuntu.

Thank you for your helpful response. I also attempted to do the root in Virtualbox, but i had a right game trying to get the USB devices to work. In the end, i gave up because i wasn't getting anywhere with it. I correctly followed tutorials showing how to enable the USB's, but i got stuck at the part where you had to add the user account to some special group in the settings.

The information you gave me about copying the files to the root of the memory card is very useful, i didn't realise it was possible to browse the contents of the live USB while actually inside the operating system. That advice will be very useful to me.

Trying the root again now, hopefully it will work. If not, i will post some screenshots to show the issue i am getting. :)

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

I've seen the extra bit you added on your comment James, about the command i was using.

Inside the terminal, i would like to navigate to:

/cdrom/hudl

How would i type this? I've tried everything but i keep getting random errors telling me there is no such directory.

Edited by TescoHudl, 07 October 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Grumpydev

Grumpydev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Devices:Advent Vega, Tesco Hudl

I don't know what live cd you're using, but it's probably in /cdrom or /mnt/cdrom (case sensitive) - if you type "cd /" then "ls" you can see the name of the files/folders there, then "cd foldername" move into it, then "ls" again until you find what you're looking for.

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Woohoo!!! Thanks guys! :D

CzXJogg.png

Grumpydev

Grumpydev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

B)

jamesglanville

jamesglanville

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:tesco hudl

I got my 64gb micro sd card today, and it works :) Having over 70gb of useable space in total is making me glad I got this and not a nexus 7...

http://www.amazon.co...duct/B007JTKM30 was the card btw

KkyMwhM.png

Peggy_zhou

Peggy_zhou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Pipo tablet

Rooting.....  Excepting a better performance! :)

bigpmc

bigpmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl

Really looking forward to one of you clever guys putting together a windows solution. Joined up to find out how to root the Hudl-wasn't that fussed about doing it until I realised that to use my NTFS external drive I would require root access (as is my understanding). Really good work to have a root available for it so quickly, its just a shame I cant take advantage of it at the moment

Grumpydev

Grumpydev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Really looking forward to one of you clever guys putting together a windows solution. Joined up to find out how to root the Hudl-wasn't that fussed about doing it until I realised that to use my NTFS external drive I would require root access (as is my understanding). Really good work to have a root available for it so quickly, its just a shame I cant take advantage of it at the moment

Just use the alternative method detailed in this post - that works fine in windows.

TheOne1974

TheOne1974

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Hudl

Hi guys,

Sorry I'm a complete noob so please bear with me here as i am new to both Android and Linux (Ubuntu).

I purchased a Hudl, my first Android device and am strugling to get it rooted, please advise me as to what I need to do?

I have downloaded the package, extracted the zip into my downloads file, then opened a terminal window but then I get stuck. How do I open a terminal window to the extracted directory as stated in the instructions??

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated!!

Aaron

~pmv

~pmv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks, Paul - worked a treat. Although it's mentioned later in the thread, it might be worth editing the top post to indicate that the rkflashtool executable in your download link is 64bit (I had to compile a 32bit version for my use)?

bigpmc

bigpmc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl

Just use the alternative method detailed in this post - that works fine in windows.

Thanks, worked a treat now rooted

CashMoney

CashMoney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl, Moto G

Hello,

this unfortunately did not work for me.

BUT you can try this: http://www.mgyun.com/vroot

This actually works, it will detect your tablet (as it is Archos hardware) and apply a Chinese SU which you can then replace with an English SU from the market.

Cheers

Andrei

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2376077

Just thought I'd post (first post, Hi!) to say I've followed the VRoot guide and successfully rooted my Hudl. After following the guide in the link, I then hit play and downloaded SuperSU by Chainfire and had it replace the chinese version. So just in case it helps someone, here is what I did.

1) Followed the XDA forum guide as quoted above. Note that I had to do this on a 32bit Windows system. YMMV. When I tried (3 times) on a 64bit system, VRoot began a percentage count to "install" the Hudl. I'm assuming I had missing drivers or something. It never reached 100% and failed for me. In the end I used my old Acer Netbook with Windows 7 32bit, which also did the percentage thing, but reached 100% after about 3 minutes and rooted the Hudl perfectly.

2) On the Hudl, download SuperSU from play by Chainfire.

3) Go into your apps draw and open SuperSU.

4) You should be notified that there is an update and that there is an existing Superuser application. You'll be asked if you want to remove the existing application. Say yes, let SuperSU remove the old chinese app and then update itself.

5) Use something like Root Checker by Joeykrim to test if you have root. Note you may need to check more than once as the first time it failed for me due to SuperSU not popping up faster enough for Root Checker.

I did nothing other than that to get rooted. Happy Rooted Hudl user here :)

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SII, Advent Vega

Another win for the chinese method :)

Used 64 bit windows 7, and worked first time... :)

greyrider

greyrider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Devices:Hudl Ainol Fire Archos 101

Trying to use the Chinese method. but I've hit a slight problem - likely down to the usual stupidity on my part - in that I'm lost as to where to switch on USB debugging on the Hudl, and I've looked. Without it VRoot isn't seeing the tablet.

Any clues, is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and now you're rooted has anyone found how to turn off the boot sound? It stops me firing mine up in the middle of the night............

"Whatever...."

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Trying to use the Chinese method. but I've hit a slight problem - likely down to the usual stupidity on my part - in that I'm lost as to where to switch on USB debugging on the Hudl, and I've looked. Without it VRoot isn't seeing the tablet.

Any clues, is it hidden somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and now you're rooted has anyone found how to turn off the boot sound? It stops me firing mine up in the middle of the night............

Allow me to show you how to enable USB debugging:

• Go to app drawer and open Settings
  • Go to bottom and tap About tablet
  • Tap repeatedly Build number 7 times. Starting at 3rd tap, you'll see a toast saying You are now X steps away from being a developer.
  • After 7th tap, you should get a toast saying: You are now a developer! (If you keep tapping Build number, the toast will change to: No need, you are already a developer.)

Next, go back to Settings, and at the bottom you'll see:

{} Developer options

You'll find USB Debugging in there :)

~~~ HOW TO DISABLE BOOT SOUND ~~~

To disable the boot sound (you need to be rooted):

1/ Open command line, and do:

adb shell

(press return)

2/ Still in command line:

su

(press return) then..

## IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU HAVE RUN "su", YOU MAKE SEE A POPUP ASKING TO ALLOW IT - DO SO ##

Now do: 

mount -o remount rw /system

(press return)

3/ Finally:

mv /system/media/audio/boot.ogg /system/media/audio/boot.ogg.ORIG && reboot

(press return)

Edited by glossywhite, 11 October 2013 - 08:43 PM.

hippy dave

hippy dave

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Devices:G300, Hudl
Thanks for the tip about the boot sound!
I mentioned this elsewhere, but if anyone has multiple users configured on their Hudl, the Developer Options only appear when you're logged in as the primary user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users