45 replies to this topic

Jazman

Jazman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Slll, Hudl
  • Twitter:@Paulinafrica

Just started the removal process, but i'm just wondering whether it is supposed to say 'Operation not permitted' here, in the command prompt? Is this supposed to happen?

i7ge.png

Cheers

Hello TescoHudl

No, operation not permitted is not supposed to happen

I see that there's a 1: after stop whilst in shell, perhaps an inadverant key press?

Maybe exit and try again?

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy SII, Advent Vega

slightly different issue for me - i have 2 entries, and when i try to update the hudl one, it doesnt give the option for adb composite device.

I updated the other one (at the top of the page) but still no joy.

Currently get "no devices attached" error...

Attached Files

hippy dave

hippy dave

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Devices:G300, Hudl

Just started the removal process, but i'm just wondering whether it is supposed to say 'Operation not permitted' here, in the command prompt? Is this supposed to happen?

i7ge.png

Cheers

Hi, I had this issue the first time I tried to adb too. When you type su it's supposed to give you a different command prompt, but I just got blank lines like you did, and it turned out to be because adb hadn't been authorised for root access (by the SuperSU app). Did you check the Hudl's screen at this point in case there was a pop-up? In my case the problem seemed to be because I was using a secondary user account, so I didn't get a pop-up from SuperSU, but when I tried again as the primary user it worked (and once I'd done that, the next time as the secondary user worked too).

Jazman

Jazman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Slll, Hudl
  • Twitter:@Paulinafrica

Hello @QLF I assume that when you run adb you are just getting a blank space?

I can only suggets that you delete the ROMaster Composite ADB Interface entry and start again?

Not a great deal of help I'm afraid

Paul

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Computers, Gaming, Phones, Photography
  • Devices:OnePlus One, Moto G, Hudl

slightly different issue for me - i have 2 entries, and when i try to update the hudl one, it doesnt give the option for adb composite device.

I updated the other one (at the top of the page) but still no joy.

Currently get "no devices attached" error...

It didn't give me the option for ADB composite device either. I can't quite remember how i managed to get it now, but i think i clicked on 'Android' or something, and then it came up in the next menu. :)

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Hi, I had this issue the first time I tried to adb too. When you type su it's supposed to give you a different command prompt, but I just got blank lines like you did, and it turned out to be because adb hadn't been authorised for root access (by the SuperSU app). Did you check the Hudl's screen at this point in case there was a pop-up? In my case the problem seemed to be because I was using a secondary user account, so I didn't get a pop-up from SuperSU, but when I tried again as the primary user it worked (and once I'd done that, the next time as the secondary user worked too).

It's funny you should mention that, about the SuperSU popup on the screen, because that's exactly what i was thinking after i had posted on here. I tried the process again, and sure enough, it came up with a permissions request. I accepted, and everything went fine. No more Tesco button! :D

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

have deleted the ROMaster Composite ADB Interface entry, and now getting "hudl" and "Unknown device"  like tescohudl was....

WHen i select Android device from the list of device types for which to choose a driver for, it says there are none compatible.

ANyone able to point me in the right direction for the right drivers?

Edit:

Uninstalled both, disconnected and reconnected - drivers for "hudl" installed, but for "hudl" they didn't install.

I now have one hudl under Portable devices (mtp device), and another under "other devices" which isn't installed correctly. WHen i try to update drivers, there isn't a compatible one, so looks liek i'm still in the same place.

Will need to try and dig out drivers from elsewhwere.....

Edited by QLF, 13 October 2013 - 01:23 PM.

TescoHudl

TescoHudl

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

have deleted the ROMaster Composite ADB Interface entry, and now getting "hudl" and "Unknown device"  like tescohudl was....

WHen i select Android device from the list of device types for which to choose a driver for, it says there are none compatible.

ANyone able to point me in the right direction for the right drivers?

Edit:

Uninstalled both, disconnected and reconnected - drivers for "hudl" installed, but for "hudl" they didn't install.

I now have one hudl under Portable devices (mtp device), and another under "other devices" which isn't installed correctly. WHen i try to update drivers, there isn't a compatible one, so looks liek i'm still in the same place.

Will need to try and dig out drivers from elsewhwere.....

1. Right click the device which hasn't installed properly.

2. Click 'Update driver software'.

3. Now click 'Browse my computer for driver software'.

4. Finally, click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'.

In this menu, i think you are looking for one called 'Android' or something. Inside there is a driver called 'Android composite ADB interface'. If it isn't inside Android, have a look around in the other sections, it should be there somewhere. If you can't find it, i suggest uploading a screenshot so we can have a look.

I'm basically repeating what Jazman has already said!

I take it you do actually have ADB set up on your computer, right?

Edited by TescoHudl, 13 October 2013 - 02:40 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
Is this a comedy skit? :P

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

lol - yes. I do have adb setup. See the screenshot below - I have followed all the steps, but the driver seems to be missing for some reason, so not available from the android list - off to google a link to download it again, but would be useful to have the exact name if someone can provide?

Attached Files

QLF

QLF

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

lol - swapped from MTP to PTP = installed driver and working fine :)

Thanks all for the help!

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Devices:hudl1/2, HTC One S, M8 Box
Ok, after rebulding my hudl to v1.3, obtaining root, can some nice chap please explain what was changed in the SystemUI.apk so that I can mirror those changes on my v1.3 version?

(No longer a requirement due to using "full!screen" app.)

Edited by CaptainMidnight, 07 November 2013 - 09:08 AM.

Adam93

Adam93

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Tesco Hudl, Nexus 4

Has anyone tried this with ROM 20131016.200812?

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
Not quite sure what you are asking - are you asking if you can used the original modified systemUI.apk with the updated HUD i.e. after the v1.3 update etc etc? (sorry of course you were doh!)

Well that all depends on whether that file was changed by said update/ROM version compared to the original and if any updates / bug fixes were added to it. I'm currently having a look at that hence my questionn above aimed at people that do this stuff all the time - for me its currently working it's way up my list of things to do.

Edited by CaptainMidnight, 08 November 2013 - 09:17 AM.

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
What I have found in my rebuild is if you have disabled all the Tesco apps anyway the soft button doesn't do anything anyway - that was the tescolauncher app from memory.

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Finally, after a lot of other life stuff happening, I've had some time to look at this for v1.3 builds. Looks like the SystemUI.apk wasn't replaced/patched etc in the v1.3 build, therefore Paul's original v1.0 SystemUI.apk should work on our v1.3 builds and remove the [T] button.

Currently testing this theory..................... :ninja:

CaptainMidnight

CaptainMidnight

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Yes confirmed this is working in v1.3 aka build JDQ39.20131016.200812.

No [T] button  ;) 

Detection

Detection

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:TF101, Tesco Hudl

Yes confirmed this is working in v1.3 aka build JDQ39.20131016.200812.

No [T] button  ;) 

Also confirmed with latest 1.3 update, thanks OP

MarkWilson

MarkWilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the step by step guide Paul - great to see the [T] button gone from my Hudl (mine was also JDQ39.20131016.200812)  I was a bit silly though, and didn't back up the SystemUI.apk file before overwriting... does anyone know where I can reliably download the stock Tesco firmware (or can someone please share with me the original SystemUI.apk)?

Thanks, Mark

greyrider

greyrider

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Devices:Hudl Ainol Fire Archos 101
Thread above this one, pinned,
http://www.modaco.co...ck-hudl-rom-for

"Whatever...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic