Photo

Re-Partition any MTK6589 Phone, Without A PC! (More /Data Storage!)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200

I just got my THL W200 (MTK6589T) phone yesterday, i restored the Titanium Backup i made on my Xiaocai X9 (1.5gb /data partition i think?). After doing this i tried updating my apps on Market and was promptly told i had run out of storage already. Turns out the W200 has a pitiful 1gb /data partition for apps, it's enough for most people and you can mess about moving stuff to sdcard etc but this didn't suit me.

Turns out the W200 has a 6gb+ internal sdcard which is nice but i have a 32gb Class 10 sdcard i like to use, so that internal sd is TOTALLY wasted space to me. It turns out there is a simple app created by "meteos" that can help move that space around a little bit.

I used the app to go from,

1gb /data partition with a 6gb internal sdcard
to a
5gb /data partition with a 2gb internal sdcard.

Here is what you need to do to follow suit, assuming you have ROOT.

Just remember

you do this at your own risk,

i do not guarantee i can help you return to stock partitions etc although you should just need to flash your stock rom with SP Flash Tools.

How to.

1. First you need to make a Clockwork Mod Backup of your current rom as you have it RIGHT NOW :) Do not skip this step please.

2. Check to make sure you have completed Step 1 ;)

3. Download this .apk file. Install it and open it.

4. You will be presented with some options mostly for 8gb ROM phones. Only the first option should be used on phones with 4gb of ROM. This will still give you a 1.5gb /data partition. Choose whatever suits you best. I went with 5gb /data partition option . Go through with all the confirmation prompts.

5. Select the Reboot to Recovery option in the app. When in recovery select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset". Then you need to restore your Clockwork Mod backup that you made earlier.

6. That's it now when your phone boots if you check storage you should see that your partition sizes have updated. Except your internal sdcard is now corrupted and unmountable... Does it bother you? Keep reading.

7. Unfortunately not a totally pc-less process if you want to use the now tiny internal sdcard partition. Connect the phone to your pc and mount usb storage. If you're on Windows it will pop up a prompt to format the corrupt internal sdcard. 

That's it you're now done!

shortguy4u

shortguy4u

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:SPV C550

Hiya,

I have a Star N9500 4GB and tried using this tool but incorrectly chose a partition size larger than the first option and after rebooting the phone the rom does not load past the initial android start up screen, where the animation continually goes on.  I have tried restoring various CWM backups and some other roms and all process correctly in CWM but when booting the phone it still does not go past start up screen.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
Yes you need to flash any stock rom for youe device with SP FLASH Tool. Then you can re root and restore a backup. It's not broken it will be fine.

dadi11

dadi11

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Drums
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
  • Twitter:@dadi113

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users