OmniRom

Guest robt77

Bit of food for thought....

Has any one seen this new AOSP based ROM http://omnirom.org/

What are peoples initial thoughts/opinions on it?

KonstaT do you reckon it could build for blade 3? Will have a go when get laptop back but a general is it possible question in the meantime?

Guest KonstaT
It's still very early to say anything about it really. So far they've only presented some cheap jabs against CyanogenMod project and not much else. Not very good way to start a new project especially when it owes quite a lot to CM. They've tried so hard to convince that it isn't just another CM fork but an actual alternative. It would have been more honest to actually fork some of the CM projects instead of cherry picking every single CM commit over AOSP like they did. Basically they've just used all the hardware enablement parts from CM and created a ROM without the CM features (sure they'll get their 'own' features sooner or later). IMO it would have been much better if they would have waited and started off a clean slate with the next Android version but I guess they needed to get the wheels in motion with this one.

Only true 'game changer' is the alledged support for MediaTek chipsets if they can really pull it off. At least they're getting significant help from Oppo to make OMNI run on R819 (MTK6589). From what I've understood there is some licensing issues with this and it's likely to remain closed source (so what's even the point then?). They've also promised support for legacy devices but so far I haven't seen anything submitted that wasn't f*cked up. :P

We'll see what project the development community will prefer over time. There's been some controversy in the community after CyanogenMod incorporated. There's a difference between getting funded (to continue what ever you were doing) and selling out, but it's bound to have some backlash on the community anyway. We'll see, maybe I even pickup OMNI myself when the time comes. So far it isn't any different from CM - small group of people making decisions behind closed doors and I must say that I have much greater faith in the people behind CM.

Thanks for reply KonstaT, it certainly give a different perspective on the situation.

Sellout or funding, age old question be it custom ROMs, Linux distros or bands. I suppose the answer won't be known until further down the line. But I feel like a sell out when I go to work each day but that's just me :D