How to STOP the stupid "otaclient.apk" from forcing updates on a new/reset hudl

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Fed up of seeing this?:

10596469914_09d43a2839_z.jpg

ME TOO!!

So, I took Paul's "/system" image, made a working copy of it and mounted it on my Ubuntu PC. Then I created a dir named "moved" in the "app" folder (which will be "/system/app" on Android, once flashed) and moved "otaclient.apk" and "otaclient.odex" into "moved". Finally, I unmounted my re-modded "/system" image (a copy of Paul's rooted one, modified to hide the OTA client from the hudl) then flashed it using "rkflashtool" (Ubuntu, sorry!), and now the only updates it does are the installed, included stock apps.

If you want to to do this on a working-to-date hudl, without all the ^- above -^ hackery, simply mount "/system" partition as rw, create a folder named "moved" inside it, (so you have "/system/moved") and move "/system/app/otaclient.apk" and "/system/app/otaclient.odex" into it.

NOW try force-updating me and locking me out when it fails, because I reset my device, Tesco! :P ^_^

[NOTE]:

I'd gladly upload this further-modified, rooted "/system" image to a file host, but since my upload speed is 0.5Mbps, I cannot. If anyone with superior broadband would like to follow the above guide and share the .img file, please do so with my blessing :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Thanks for the above 'fix' Glossywhite! I see our little argument earlier did indeed bring about the desired outcome albeit after you yourself had the misfortune to get your HUDL in the same state that mine are in at the moment (damn you Tesco!). I will of course be spending the next couple of hours doing this myself now that the 'fix' is out there and if I can I will upload the mentioned /system file if someone else doesn't beat me to it (with credits to yourself of course!) Thanks again for the good work you've put in finding out what the issue is mate, it's appreciated not just by myself but also the others that are no doubt going to be experiencing this problem at some point or other!

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Again, many thanks for the info Glossywhite! I have done as you advised and recreated the tabbiedroid rooted rom with your customizations. I've also packaged it back up so it can be flashed in rktools1.7 for all those linux phobes out there so between us both we've got it bypassed and got an image to flash in windows too! Not bad considering the initial 1st contact hey?

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Img file is just uploading now but with my crappy connection it's gonna be another hour roughly before I can put up the thread with the link in. I've chosen Mediafire as the host 'cos i've never had problems with them in the past and they've always been pretty quick at downloading from too! The rom will be the Tabbiedroid rooted stock rom with the 2 OTA apk's moved into a 'moved' folder which is inside the apps folder of system.img as per GlossyWhite's instructions. Luckily for my quick learning curve i've also managed to package it in a stock format which will allow the use of windows to flash from making it as user friendly as possible! I'll update this thread with a link to the download thread as soon as i've got all the preparation done. Watch this space - Team HUDL FTW!!!

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi GlossyWhite,

Thanks for the info on this... Just heard about the update before I went out earlier this evening. Dont think my mum has done it on her Tablet yet, and warned her not to update to it. Not sure about my brothers one yet.

I remember doing summit similar to this on an Amazon Kindle Fire HD, a friend got the cheap Ad based one... So I renamed both the Ad.apk and the OTA.apk files, and that got rid of Ads as well as OTA updates....

Still, good that you've given this info out to prevent others from falling foul of Tesco's updates... ;)

Lister

Guest h4x0rm1k3

As promised here's the forwarding link to the main thread with the image file which you can install with rktools 1.7 on windows rather than messing with and maybe trying to learn linux!

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366207-rom-tabbiedroid-v2-for-rktools-v17-with-update-bypass-for-those-with-13-update-woes-rom/?p=2170430

Thanks again to GlossyWhite for the know how and to PaulOBrien for the original stock rom and Hal2710 for his Tabbiedroid which this image is based on.

Edited by h4x0rm1k3

Guest glossywhite

As promised here's the forwarding link to the main thread with the image file which you can install with rktools 1.7 on windows rather than messing with and maybe trying to learn linux!

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366207-download-tabbiedroid-v2-with-update-bypass-for-those-with-13-update-woes-download/

Thanks again to GlossyWhite for the know how and to PaulOBrien for his Tabbiedroid which this image is based on.

You are welcome, Mike, and thank you for all your effort and work too mate :)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Not a problem mate, I like to help and give back whenever I can and fortunately (also 1st time ever!) I've been able to give back to the mobile/tablet community at long last! I love messing around with electrical goods and fix them as my part time business so I don't mind getting my hands dirty and learning new things along the way, best way to learn I say! Considering that I gleaned the info to do this from this forum it's only right that I give back too! As I said before though, you'll hardly ever know i'm around because I don't ask much because most of the time it's already out there if you know how to use google properly, my main aim in life is fixing things and trying to help people along the way, apart from that I just lurk around, hunting out little bits of info and piecing it all together to get a better idea of what it is i'm trying to learn at the time!

Also, I'm not sure if you knew of this tool or not but it's what I used to unpack the img file in windows so all I had to do was transfer /system over to my backtrack 5 VM and change it there before packing it up again into an img file using the same tool in windows. The tool's called imgRePackerRK_102 and just for yours and others benefit i've uploaded it here -  http://www.mediafire.com/?gqqg71kdd1pham9 . I found it on XDA forums so if you need to look into it a bit you can find it on their site (I found the 2 main commands there but there is a txt file with the relevant info).

Good luck though mate, I wish you well for the future!

Guest hal2710

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366207-rom-tabbiedroid-v2-for-rktools-v17-with-update-bypass-for-those-with-13-update-woes-rom/?p=2170430

Thanks again to GlossyWhite for the know how and to PaulOBrien for his Tabbiedroid which this image is based on.

Hi, Just for the record I made TabbieDroid, which I based on Pauls work.

Hal2710

PS Tabbie is my daughters name..................

Guest Lister Of Smeg

You named your daughter, based on your love for Tablets?? 

Just kidding, Tabbie is a lovely name... and good that it'll forever mentioned being the first based custom roms for our Hudl's...

Just saw your leaving thread, which is a pity... :( But thank you so much for getting the ball rolling on this, ya work is much appreciated. I used it to setup my mums Tablet... (although I cherry-picked certain bits of Tesco's back in, for mum... minus the Blinkbox.. lol)

Thanks once again, Lister

Hal2710

Guest TurboPask

Also, I'm not sure if you knew of this tool or not but it's what I used to unpack the img file in windows so all I had to do was transfer /system over to my backtrack 5 VM and change it there before packing it up again into an img file using the same tool in windows. The tool's called imgRePackerRK_102 and just for yours and others benefit i've uploaded it here -  http://www.mediafire.com/?gqqg71kdd1pham9 . I found it on XDA forums so if you need to look into it a bit you can find it on their site (I found the 2 main commands there but there is a txt file with the relevant info).

Good luck though mate, I wish you well for the future!

Hi,

I have tried to use imgRePackerRK_102 to unpack the system.img file provided by Paul. But I got an error:

2013.11.01 10:24:18    ==========================[ START ]==========================

2013.11.01 10:24:18    

2013.11.01 10:24:18    --- Firmware unpacking ---

2013.11.01 10:24:18        .DEBUG.    File format: ext3 image (06)

2013.11.01 10:24:18    2-nd layer file unpacking

2013.11.01 10:24:18    ext3 image format detected

2013.11.01 10:24:18        Unsupported format (ext3 image)

2013.11.01 10:24:18    ==========================[ STOP  ]==========================

Which options did you use to unpack the image?

If poossible, can you share the system/app folder?

Regards.

UPDATE: I solved using Ext2Read from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/?source=dlp

Edited by TurboPask

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Hi,

I have tried to use imgRePackerRK_102 to unpack the system.img file provided by Paul. But I got an error:

2013.11.01 10:24:18    ==========================[ START ]==========================

2013.11.01 10:24:18    --- Firmware unpacking ---

2013.11.01 10:24:18        .DEBUG.    File format: ext3 image (06)

2013.11.01 10:24:18    2-nd layer file unpacking

2013.11.01 10:24:18    ext3 image format detected

2013.11.01 10:24:18        Unsupported format (ext3 image)

2013.11.01 10:24:18    ==========================[ STOP  ]==========================

Which options did you use to unpack the image?

If poossible, can you share the system/app folder?

Regards.

UPDATE: I solved using Ext2Read from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/?source=dlp

The program is only for unpacking the original rom image file , not the img files that are enclosed in that image file if you get what I mean? The main rom img is usable in windows but the files packed up in it are ext3 which needs to be mounted and read/written to in linux. Further to the link you provided though lead me to learn something else though, the program you linked is read only in windows but paragon extfs for windows apparently reads and writes so maybe this might be helpful for people in the future too rather than having to break linux out to read ext file systems, i'll have a look later and see if I can find out more info!

Edited by h4x0rm1k3

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Hal2710

Sorry about that, It was late this morning when I replied, had been up all day and few other things going on too so please forgive me for forgetting you! I have now rectified that post anyway giving credit where it's due. I haven't seen your leaving thread yet but want to wish you well for the future whatever you choose to do! Good luck mate.

Guest TurboPask

The program is only for unpacking the original rom image file , not the img files that are enclosed in that image file if you get what I mean? The main rom img is usable in windows but the files packed up in it are ext3 which needs to be mounted and read/written to in linux. Further to the link you provided though lead me to learn something else though, the program you linked is read only in windows but paragon extfs for windows apparently reads and writes so maybe this might be helpful for people in the future too rather than having to break linux out to read ext file systems, i'll have a look later and see if I can find out more info!

Thank you for the expanation. I need only the original apk, bacuase I deleted some of them and I was not able to update the Hudl. Now, I restored all the original apk and the update is fine. (I rooted the device using the chinese VRoot program, not the Paul method).

Paragon seems to only be able to modify physical drives, not images, from what I can see. Even using the image mounted as a virtual drive using another app doesn't seem to work.

However, I have found an alternative solution for mounting and modifying the ext IMG files - you need to install two pieces of software:

First, Ext2 IFS For Windows - this is an ext2 and ext3 driver for Windows. Adds "native" support for ext2/3 partitions in Windows Explorer. Note that the installer must be run in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (because it hasn't been updated to support 7/8, but works fine on 7 at least; haven't got 8 personally so can't confirm). When installing, choose to automatically assign a drive letter when drives are inserted. Make sure you don't select the option for "read only" during install.

Second, OSFMount (the are also a wide variety of other tools suitable for this task; anything that can mount an IMG as a virtual drive). This mounts the IMG as a virtual drive, accessible from Windows Explorer.

Open OSFMount, click "Mount new...", select IMG and untick "read only drive". Make changes and once done, right click on the drive in OSFMount and choose "Save to image file", and save it.

I have tested this and managed to add a file to system.img as a test.

Guest h4x0rm1k3

Paragon seems to only be able to modify physical drives, not images, from what I can see. Even using the image mounted as a virtual drive using another app doesn't seem to work.

However, I have found an alternative solution for mounting and modifying the ext IMG files - you need to install two pieces of software:

First, Ext2 IFS For Windows - this is an ext2 and ext3 driver for Windows. Adds "native" support for ext2/3 partitions in Windows Explorer. Note that the installer must be run in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (because it hasn't been updated to support 7/8, but works fine on 7 at least; haven't got 8 personally so can't confirm). When installing, choose to automatically assign a drive letter when drives are inserted. Make sure you don't select the option for "read only" during install.

Second, OSFMount (the are also a wide variety of other tools suitable for this task; anything that can mount an IMG as a virtual drive). This mounts the IMG as a virtual drive, accessible from Windows Explorer.

Open OSFMount, click "Mount new...", select IMG and untick "read only drive". Make changes and once done, right click on the drive in OSFMount and choose "Save to image file", and save it.

I have tested this and managed to add a file to system.img as a test.

Thanks for the explanation SifJar, I just literally looked at paragon now and saw that it only mounted physical hard drives so your way sounds more ideal, maybe make a new thread about it though so that it can be found a lot easier by others.

Thanks for the explanation SifJar, I just literally looked at paragon now and saw that it only mounted physical hard drives so your way sounds more ideal, maybe make a new thread about it though so that it can be found a lot easier by others.

Done: http://www.modaco.com/topic/366230-tools-useful-tools-for-tinkerers/

Added a couple of other tools and a few little "guides" in there too, hopefully someone will find them useful.