Messed up my Hudl - Won't boot - No backup. Please could i have some help...

Guest TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

Before i start, i know i should have made a backup, but i am currently waiting for a MicroSD card to arrive from Amazon, so i can make a backup in the new Clockworkmod recovery. The card hasn't arrived yet (I only ordered it today), so i couldn't make the backup.

To cut a long story short, i have spent all day working with the Hudl, and at about midday i flashed the new Tabbiedroid 1.5 ROM. Since then, i have been using my day to reinstall all my apps, and also to tune the ROM to my liking; installing tweaks such as the Xposed framework and generally messing around seeing what i can do. It has taken me all afternoon and evening to get something i really liked, but then.... disaster.

I decided i would install a custom font to make things look a little different, so i downloaded ROM Toolbox Pro and added the Ubuntu font. Rebooted, and i'm stuck on the Hudl logo. Waited a good 15 minutes but nothing... Absolutely devastated! 

I know how to flash the ROM again in RKTools, but i don't want to do that because i'll loose everything i've done! Rather than taking a drastic measure such as that, i thought it might be possible to make a little script to re-flash the original font over ADB, in flashing mode. But i am rather inexperienced with ABD commands in the command prompt, so i don't really know how to go about doing this.

The default Android font is here, on my computer, but like i said, i don't understand how to flash this over to the device via ADB while in flashing mode. I'm unsure how ROM Toolbox actually applies the modded fonts, so i haven't got a clue whether this would work or not.

zAmiEiv.png

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance on this... Otherwise i will have to reflash the ROM again and i'll loose everything... :(

I'm begging you lot to help me... Please!

Any help would obviously, be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest Justice™

Before i start, i know i should have made a backup, but i am currently waiting for a MicroSD card to arrive from Amazon, so i can make a backup in the new Clockworkmod recovery. The card hasn't arrived yet (I only ordered it today), so i couldn't make the backup.

To cut a long story short, i have spent all day working with the Hudl, and at about midday i flashed the new Tabbiedroid 1.5 ROM. Since then, i have been using my day to reinstall all my apps, and also to tune the ROM to my liking; installing tweaks such as the Xposed framework and generally messing around seeing what i can do. It has taken me all afternoon and evening to get something i really liked, but then.... disaster.

I decided i would install a custom font to make things look a little different, so i downloaded ROM Toolbox Pro and added the Ubuntu font. Rebooted, and i'm stuck on the Hudl logo. Waited a good 15 minutes but nothing... Absolutely devastated!

I know how to flash the ROM again in RKTools, but i don't want to do that because i'll loose everything i've done! Rather than taking a drastic measure such as that, i thought it might be possible to make a little script to re-flash the original font over ADB, in flashing mode. But i am rather inexperienced with ABD commands in the command prompt, so i don't really know how to go about doing this.

The default Android font is here, on my computer, but like i said, i don't understand how to flash this over to the device via ADB while in flashing mode. I'm unsure how ROM Toolbox actually applies the modded fonts, so i haven't got a clue whether this would work or not.

Posted Image

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance on this... Otherwise i will have to reflash the ROM again and i'll loose everything... :(

I'm begging you lot to help me... Please!

Any help would obviously, be greatly appreciated!!

I'm sure the font is in /system/, so doing a restore with RKTools instead of an upgrade might be helpful for you

Guest TescoHudl

I'm sure the font is in /system/, so doing a restore with RKTools instead of an upgrade might be helpful for you

The font is located in /system/fonts, but RKTools only supports firmware files, so i can't transfer it using that? (Assuming that's what you meant)

Guest Justice™

The font is located in /system/fonts, but RKTools only supports firmware files, so i can't transfer it using that? (Assuming that's what you meant)

No, I was saying based on the location of the font you should be able to restore using RKTools rather than updating and wiping the device. The restore function will preserve /data/ AFAIK.

I am not sure whether or not the ADB service will be running in the flashing mode, on most devices it does not run in this mode i.e. you cannot communicate with the device over ADB in this mode. However, assuming you have ADB enabled (i.e. "USB debugging") on your device, you should be able to connect with ADB when it is on the boot logo. To test if you can connect or not, try the command "adb devices" which should list all connected devices (in your case, just your Hudl). Try this in both modes and see if it is detected in either mode. If it is, you should hopefully be able to fix your device with some ADB commands.

If you establish a ADB connection to your device, you'll want to "push" the "fonts" folder to the device (e.g. "adb push fonts /sdcard/fonts", assuming you are in the directory containing "fonts" on your PC), then open a shell ("adb shell", will give a $ prompt), identify as root user ("su", prompt will change from $ to #), remount /system as read-write ("mount -o remount,rw /system"), then copy the fonts from storage ("cp /sdcard/fonts /system/fonts"), then type "exit" twice to exit adb shell and finally type "adb reboot" and hope for the best.

Please note I am not sure if "/sdcard/" is a valid storage location on the Hudl, or what the appropriate location would be. That part in several of the commands may need to be changed.

Adb should work in CWM?

Indeed it should. Although is there not an issue with mounting the internal storage in CWM? The OP doesn't have an external SD card.

Guest TescoHudl

No, I was saying based on the location of the font you should be able to restore using RKTools rather than updating and wiping the device. The restore function will preserve /data/ AFAIK.

Thank you so much, you are an absolute lifesaver!! I thought it was extremely unlikely i could have retrieved my data after ending up in that terrible situation where the device wouldn't boot, but i tried doing what you said and, unbelievably, it worked perfectly! The Hudl now boots up fine and all content on the device has been kept. Very happy and relieved!

I spent a good fifteen minutes after you posted debating whether to go ahead with this method, but after having issues installing the ADB driver back over the RKTools driver, i decided there was no hope so i went for it. As soon as i read the bit about the restore option in RKTools preserving the user data, i had a feeling you were right because after flashing the 'Tabbiedroid' ROM originally, you had to select 'Wipe user data' in CWM, suggesting that the data had not already been cleared.

Thank you to SifJar ​also, for a wonderful explanation into flashing the fonts folder back over via ADB. It's just unfortunate that i was unable to get the ADB driver to install again, because i had swapped the driver previously to flash the ROM. Strangely, the driver wouldn't appear inside the 'Browse my computer for driver software' ----> 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer' option. When choosing the Archos ADB driver in 'Have disk', it told me that the driver did not match the hardware. But cheers for your brilliant effort in helping me, it was very kind of you to donate so much time writing that post! :)

As well as the data on my Hudl being preserved, there is also some more good news! My 1TB external hard drive has arrived from Amazon today, so i am going to attempt a downgrade back to Windows 7 (Although i've heard it's rather difficult). Windows 7 doesn't have the terrible driver issues that Windows 8.1 suffers from, and that means i'll be able to do my Hudl tweaking on this laptop rather than using the rubbishy Windows XP netbook i have at home! :D

You guys have no idea how much i appreciate your help, i am so pleased that my Hudl is finally back to normal again! Thanks once again!