How hard would it be to port a rom to the hudl?

Guest blinkydamo

Guest blinkydamo

Hi all,

As the title suggests I'm after knowing how hard it would be to port/create a ROM like cyanogenmod to this tablet.

How easy would it be for a beginner to learn to do this and is it something a beginner could do? If so does anyone know any good sites that will provide all the information to create a rom for this tablet?

Cheers in advance,

Blinky

Guest Justice™

When thinking about it, porting over any of the oma ROMs to the hudl shouldn't be too hard. It'd be a case of adding a hudl specific kernel and relevant libs for the hudl and seeing if it works/boots/produces a logcat or dmesg output?

Guest blinkydamo

Well hopefully once I finish this assignment I'm doing I will start having a look into how to do it. Never built a ROM before but will have a go as it would be great to have a fully custom build, hopefully some might be able to figure out a custom kernel.

Blinky

Well hopefully once I finish this assignment I'm doing I will start having a look into how to do it. Never built a ROM before but will have a go as it would be great to have a fully custom build, hopefully some might be able to figure out a custom kernel.

Blinky

Custom kernel should be easier than custom ROM, seeing as full kernel sources are available. Should (theoretically) be very straight forward to build it once you have the build environment set up, and then once you've got it building, adding new features (e.g. new governors, modules etc.) is rather simple, I believe. For reference here's how to compile a kernel from source and here's how to add features to a kernel. Beyond this, I believe it is typically a case of finding the github for another kernel which implements a feature you want, figuring out which revision of the source added that feature, and making the same changes to your own source tree.

By contrast, building a custom ROM for a device with no available AOSP device tree (i.e. a device which hasn't had a source built custom ROM before, such as the Hudl) is considerably more complicated. The link posted above to the CM wiki seems to be the best resource I have come across for porting an AOSP ROM to such a device (XDA University only seems to cover porting different AOSP ROMs to devices which already have a device tree from another AOSP ROM e.g. porting ParanoidAndroid to a device which already has CyanogenMod). You need to pull various files from the device, edit a bunch of files in the AOSP source etc.

As the wiki says, it is advisable to try building a ROM or two for another device first if possible to familiarise yourself with the process etc., before attempting to build for a brand new device.

Guest ShatPank

Bloody hell that sounds like a bugger to get started with.

I did see ramblings of CM being ported to a Rockchip device a while back when I was researching the Minix X7.

I'll see if I can find it, could be a starting point at least.