Hudl Android device recovery

Guest gevans3342

Guest gevans3342

Hi All

I was messing about with the linux 32 bit version of rkflashtool to try and root my hudl.

Still not managed to get the hudl into the right mode, but when I hold vol up then press reset (or power) the hudl goes into this recovery mode.

Is there not a way to flash something from within this?

Sorry if this is a stupid question !

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi gevans3342,

Prolly only the official firmware can be restored like this... I think this is a basic Android Recovery option for all Androids so that they can flash official firmware if the device bricks. How you enter it on each device differs... I managed to enter that too, purely by luck/mistake whilst trying something else out... I think the file has to be in the format of Update.zip on the root of internal memory or something like that....

To flash anything else, I think you will still need to get CWM on it first...

Cheers, Lister

Guest virgopunk

Aaaand at the moment the process for getting CWM on the Hudl is a pretty scary one for someone not well versed in Linux and command line inputs and all that malarky. I think I'm going to have to wait until some kind soul manages to develop a less scary Win7 route to getting it; which is annoying because without the "flash from internal drive" and other nice functions of CWM recovery I'm a bit stuck  :(

virgopunk - You're not stuck - it's a learning opportunity ;) the more you read the various threads / internet the more 'familar' you'll get.

Just read the other threads related to 'RKTools' etc and you'll see there are easier ways  (in Windows) of restoring a hudl back to health if you end up a mess or need to start again.

IMHO CWM isn't the 'holy grail', but admittedly for people who don't have the time or don't want to understand or just want a big red button (analogy) to press that says 'backup' / 'restore' or soley want to backup to EXTERNAL SD card from their phone, hey it's as good as running a linux script.

Anyway ......................................... back to the original post, gevans3342 in linux or in windows you can easily automatically put your hudl in boot-loader mode (required for rkflashtool or RKTool) via the following: -

adb reboot bootloader

You would need to have installed the linux android drivers etc if you don't already have this either do a google search for 'linux adb install' or have a search on the xdadevelopers forum for your linux version.

Edited by Guest

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi VirgoPunk,

It really isnt that hard at all to install a version of CWM on the Hudl, and you'll be grateful/pleased you ever did. It's so nice to know/have a CWM to fall back on.

I did mine via this method here when it first came out... http://www.modaco.com/topic/365838-rooted-custom-rom-based-on-hudl20130923020558stock/#entry2169519

Trust me, it isnt scary at all, it's done in Windows... and its no different than flashing an official rom using RKtools...

Or, you could look at these posts...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366202-clockworkmod-recovery-v6031-for-rkflashtool-built-by-hal2710/

http://www.modaco.com/topic/365838-rooted-custom-rom-based-on-hudl20130923020558stock/

Hope those help...

Thanks, Lister

Guest virgopunk

Thanks again guys.

Lister, I've had a look at the RKTools option you mentioned but it seems to be a ROM flash with CWM  baked in, which is great, and I wished I'd found that right at the beginning. At the moment though I've added all my apps and tweaked things so much I can't muster the energy to reset everything again (lame excuse I know but I've done it so many times with my phone...). That's one of the reasons I'd like the custom recovery options.

Another issue is my 64gb SD card is formatted to NTFS (so I could have files larger than 4gb on). I use Paragon to manage the card but of course when you're in recovery the card is unreadable because Paragon isn't available. So I can't put zip files on the external card.

Maybe over the weekend I'll have a go with the TabbieDroid ROM and RKTools.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi VirgoPunk,

No worries my good friend, I am totally with you on that... Like wise I am the same.... On my phone, I would flash the Recovery first or over the top, simply because that option exists for my phone. Where as with the Hudl, we are not so lucky at the moment. I think it may of been done by now though??

But yeah, I had to bite the bullet and take the plunge too.... I had my mums Hudl set up perfectly, but always wanted a CWM on it... and low and behold if not a day later, TabbieDroid comes out....

So yeah, I lost all what I did, but it was worth it in the end.... :)

And yeah, I dont think there are any versions of CWM out there yet that supports NTFS at bootup...?? Heck, I had a nasty shock with my Galaxy Note N7000 the other day, when I formatted the same card thats been fine previously in Windows, and because of the Clusters changing, CWM didnt want to know... Couldnt even find the SD Card, even though it was FAT32...

So yeah, ya gonna need another SD Card if ya wonna do Flashes with it... ;)

Cheers, Lister

Guest virgopunk

"ya gonna need another SD Card if ya wonna do Flashes with it" That is a great idea! I've got a spare 16GB sitting around that I can format to FAT32 and use for flashing. I shall have a bash this weekend.

Thanks Lister.

Guest Lister Of Smeg

Hi VirgoPunk,

No worries, ya welcome... If you find that the SD Card isnt working after you've formatted it... (assuming Windows?? unless you use Linux?) You may need to format it with another program, I never previously experienced this issue before. My SD Card was working fine in my phone all the time I used it. However a work mate needed a SD Card for another device just to test, after he borrowed it I then re-formatted it in Windows....

,,, and thats when my HELL began... :( Neither CWM nor Android OS would pick up the card and read it.... I was like, oh no!!! Cr*p!!!! :(  As the phone would just boot with loads of errors due to App links...

Anyway, solution is to download this:  SD Card Formatter from SDCard.org

Hopefully all should be well after that... :)

Cheers, Lister

• 9 months later...
Guest PuneethRpk

i have an hudl when ever i start it showing error for all apps especially for any Google apps even the play store its not working at all and even camera app is dissapperd even if i open anything other apps it automatically closes i not able to use or do any thing with the Hudl... Any solution to recover back to original Software..pls help