Photo

Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

182 replies to this topic

Poll: Rooting Poll (111 member(s) have cast votes)

How did root go for you?

1. Rooted OK, Windows (50 votes [44.64%])

Percentage of vote: 44.64%

2. Root didn't seem to work, Windows (37 votes [33.04%])

Percentage of vote: 33.04%

3. Rooted OK, Mac (4 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. Root didn't seem to work, Mac (6 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

5. Rooted OK, Linux (11 votes [9.82%])

Percentage of vote: 9.82%

6. Root didn't seem to work, Linux (4 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

beegee7730

beegee7730

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Just a heads up to all.

I tried using this method and got the green bars, and left it on my device for 10-15 minutes just in the hope that it'd somehow work.

It caused burn in on my screen, and I had to use one of those burn-in/dead pixel fixers for about an hour before it was back to normal, and I assume it could cause personal damage.

Of course this is common knowledge, but don't leave contrasting colours on your screen for a long time.

Edit:

By the way, if this doesn't work, try installing SuperSU off the Play Store after running. For me, everything except the Superuser APK was installed and working, so I just downloaded SuperSU and it functioned fine.

Edited by beegee7730, 20 January 2014 - 05:10 PM.

truong2502

truong2502

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Moto G Google Play Edition

I just rooted on my Moto G Google Play Edition (Android 4.4.2), It's really quick. Thank you very much!

motorola moto g

motorola moto g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi.

Thank you Paul.

I was going to root but I scanned Superboot r2 before for viruses in two massive online antivirus https://www.virustotal.com/es/ and http://virscan.org/ and in both of them TheHacker detects the virus Backdoor/IRCBot.pbr

So I think I´m not going to root it now.

Edited by motorola moto g, 28 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

synescu

synescu

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Devices:Moto G XT1032

I just rooted on my Moto G Google Play Edition (Android 4.4.2), It's really quick. Thank you very much!

can you dump your firmware?  a lot of users here and on XDA expect this firmware

somehow you managed to install a custom recovery?

thanks

Edited by synescu, 29 January 2014 - 08:32 PM.

tcpaulh

tcpaulh

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Devices:Coolpad F1, Moto G, G300
  • Twitter:@tcpaulh

Hi.

Thank you Paul.

I was going to root but I scanned Superboot r2 before for viruses in two massive online antivirus https://www.virustotal.com/es/ and http://virscan.org/ and in both of them TheHacker detects the virus Backdoor/IRCBot.pbr

So I think I´m not going to root it now.

Superboot is an exploit that one out of 40(?) scanners labels as suspicious. It's a hacktool . I'm surprised and impressed there aren't more false positives to be honest

How To Provide Error Logs

There's a problem on KitKat with text wrap / reflow not working. Issue raised here. Please Star and Reply if you think it's a stupid regression

motorola moto g

motorola moto g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Superboot is an exploit that one out of 40(?) scanners labels as suspicious. It's a hacktool . I'm surprised and impressed there aren't more false positives to be honest

Thank you very much for the explanation.

I´ll try then but now I have a doubt because there´s another option (option 2: modified recovery) and I don´t know if one is better than other (sorry but I´ve never rooted a device).

Thanks a lot

alpine101

alpine101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 7, Moto G, Ainol Fire

Went to stock UK retail 4.3 from rooted Tesco. Let it do the OTA download and then rooted with the Superboot method! (Couldn't get this to work on 4.3 and used method 2, but it worked on KK)

motorola moto g

motorola moto g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi.

Rooted Ok with windows and voted.

Thank you PaulOBrien (and tcpaulh)

krotwijk

krotwijk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:samsung galaxy s

Voted and rooted windows 8.1 64bit

First it looked like it didn't work.

Second time waited 5 minutes after purple screen and supersu was installed

Thanks Paul

MeltingPointGold

MeltingPointGold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, Xperia U

Win 7 x64   ^_^. Unlocked the phone (XT1032 16gb 4.4.2)  :wub:, fastboot, run the script as admin  :mellow:, the phone showed the white screen with motorola logo :wacko:  and then became "vertical stripy multicolor" :blink:  :angry:  and then smoothly changed to black  :unsure: ... After nearly having a heart attack :( just rebooted (5 sec after black screen) and everything was fine :blink:. Launched SuperSU and it worked  :D

Edited by MeltingPointGold, 02 February 2014 - 10:52 AM.

me0000

me0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Just to confirm that Paul's second image for Alpha worked for me on a tesco 16 gb moto g (which had stock rom flashed to it).

Thanks Paul :)

varkey

varkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
  • Twitter:@varkey

Would this method work for the CDMA version of the Moto G? (Boost version sold in the US)

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Hey guys, i've been trying to root the Motorola g but now it has a problem:

It successfully completed the whole process in CMD, but after the phone rebooted to the motorola screen, then the purple screen, and now its just at a black screen. It's been like that for about 10 minutes now and nothing seems to be happening. Its similar to:

Win 7 x64    ^_^. Unlocked the phone (XT1032 16gb 4.4.2)   :wub:, fastboot, run the script as admin   :mellow:, the phone showed the white screen with motorola logo  :wacko:  and then became "vertical stripy multicolor"  :blink:   :angry:  and then smoothly changed to black   :unsure: ... After nearly having a heart attack  :( just rebooted (5 sec after black screen) and everything was fine  :blink:. Launched SuperSU and it worked   :D

...but its taking forever rather than just 5 seconds :(

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 Qualcomm & Huawei Ascend G300

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

Subscribe to my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thekyan31

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Hey guys, i've been trying to root the Motorola g but now it has a problem:

It successfully completed the whole process in CMD, but after the phone rebooted to the motorola screen, then the purple screen, and now its just at a black screen. It's been like that for about 10 minutes now and nothing seems to be happening. Its similar to:

...but its taking forever rather than just 5 seconds :(

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Nevermind, I just held the power button until the phone rebooted. There was no SU, so I booted back to fastboot and flashed CWM recovery. Now I can just flash a superuser zip and get root :)

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 Qualcomm & Huawei Ascend G300

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

Subscribe to my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thekyan31

somerandomhash

somerandomhash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:MOTOG, GALAXY NOTE 10.1

I can confirm that this method does work on 4.4.2, and like in Konovolov situation I experienced exact same thing.

Running Windows 7 64
Motorola Moto G, UK Tesco running US 4.4.2 KitKat.

1. Got into bootloader
2. Run superboot-windows.bat (without "Run as administrator") and got the same purple melting Motorola logo, which looked like my phones gpu just burned,
then after a while (with just black screen) I started to check if ADB recognizes my phone, after about a minute of typing "adb devices" it did showed up.
3. Rebooted phone with "adb reboot" got "updating or optimizing application", after fully booted checked for SuperSU, but didn't see anywhere, so repeated same procedure from 1 to 3 (like Konovolov did) and after that I do have SuperSU and my 4.4.2 android is rooted.

Did this to just confirm it works for ME or not, turned out it did work.

+1 this was my experience too... (Windo$e)

- keep USB plugged into PC after approx 1 or 2 minutes you'll hear the 'USB' plugin sound
- adb reboot (or keep power button pressed till reset)
- took me x3 attempts on 'stock'
- worked 1st time after reflash of 'stock' falcon_retgb-user 4.4.2 KLB20.9-1.10-1.9 5 release-keysMSM8626BP_1032.340.63.00

Edited by somerandomhash, 08 February 2014 - 10:16 AM.

bongo_24

bongo_24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Moto G

What is this?

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

What are the pre-requisites?

YOU NEED YOUR BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED TO CARRY OUT THIS PROCESS. It's easy using fastboot, which is included in the download below. The instructions on the Motorola site are very straightforward - visit this page to get started. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device.

Any caveats?

Aside from the bootloader unlock wiping your device and invalidating your warranty, you should note that while rooting may affect your ability to receive future OTAs, reverting back to stock is easy enough. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ;)

Download

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r2 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: a4ca11f526f57f643a0a552ec234ad6f
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX
  • Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader.
  • WINDOWS - run 'superboot-windows.bat' as Administrator
  • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by 'sudo ./superboot-mac.sh'
  • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by 'sudo ./superboot-linux.sh'
Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit the store for further details!

Hello paul, I have a 16GB Moto G and updated to Kitkat via OTA.

yesterday I used your method 1 (superboot) on windows 7, to root my phone, and run it for the firs time and ended on a black screen with green bars. I power off the phone and turned on and load kitkat normaly and noted that the phone was not rooted.

y tried the metod for a second time ans have the same results, but when kirkat launched, on the initial screen i see a "System UIDs Inconsistent. UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or your device will be unstable." and the system didn't respond.

I performed a factory reset and kitkat showed the same message but let me in. there I noticed that my device is now rooted but non app was able to access the internal memory due to permissions as I think, because when I try to copy files to the phone via usb cable have the same denial, even whit ADB push i get the same message

I need a way to solve this because in this actual stage the phone works but the apps ave like no access to the memory making them unusable

(note: sorry for my bad English) 

diegohumanista

diegohumanista

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

It totally bricked my Moto G xt1032 :-(

It had installed falcon_retar_user_4.4.2_KXB20.9-1.10-1.9_7_release-keys-cid12-Latam_AR

After applying, there was some boot screen which faded with wrong colors (i think it was pink) and then it got black for a while...

I let it work (hoping that was working in background) for 1 minute or so, but after that nothing happened, so I powered it down with the power key,

And that was the end of my cellphone. Now it doesn't boot, it doesn't even show anything nor vibrate. It's completely bricked. Not booting with power, or volume down + power, or all the buttons at the time... It's dead!

Any Ideas on how I recover it? Or just let it go? :-(

=========== EDIT ================

I didn't quit trying things, and suddenly it started to work again!

I don't know exactly what I did, (I suspect that it was holding for very long time the power button with the usb cable connected), but something about 20/30 minutes later it went on again! (the problem was it did'nt boot even with volume down + power, or power, or anything). I don't know what happened.

Oh, and I'm root now.

So... Thanks!

Edited by diegohumanista, 13 February 2014 - 03:26 AM.

wuebbeling

wuebbeling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Moto G

Worked out of the box for me, but there's one drawback (which most root-mechanisms share): The stock install-recovery.sh is overwritten, preventing OTA updates for the Moto G. This file has to be restored if you want to update. However, when boot.img is booted, the original file contents are lost. 

Could the contents of the file be preserved before overwriting it? Also, I wonder what else is being changed in /system?

Best wishes, Frank

pendribe

pendribe

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Devices:Dell XCD35 CF _CM9_ ICS 4.0
  • Twitter:@pankuzj

@PaulOBrien

If it's any help, I am on Win 8.1 x64 and running your .bat at first didn't work.

I just ran an elevated command and manually ran fastboot boot boot.superboot.img  Job done, thanks.

Will you explain it, running.bat at first isn't working for me!

So, picking up the pieces now where to begin?

The hardest part of ending is starting again!!

SkyGuardian

SkyGuardian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Moto G

Does anybody know if it works on the GERMAN Moto G with Android 4.4.2?

Edited by SkyGuardian, 06 March 2014 - 05:58 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)