Moto g vs Alcatel One touch idol s

Guest Epochology

Guest Epochology

Hiya I'm just wondering which phone would be a better buy? I know the Motorola has a snapdragon 400 but the Alcatel has a 4g (msm8930) chipset similar to the HTC one sv from last year. The alactel has an 8mp camera instead of a 5mp.The other specs are identical with a 4.7 inch 720p display instead of a 4.5 inch, both devices have 1 GB of ram .

I'm not sure about the build quality but the Alcatel seems lighter and thinner making it easier to handle? Would the moto g superior software support out weight its slightly lower specs, besides processor?

If you really want LTE the Idol S probably is a better choice, and the Krait cores in the MSM8930 would be nice, but it's only running 4.2 AFAIK and what will the future support be like? The Moto G is a great phone, and the support from Motorola is first class, with a prompt update to Kitkat already out in the US, and their own apps regularly updated via the Play Store.

The AnandTech review of the Moto G is well worth reading, Motorola have produced a really well balanced phone, with excellent battery life being a stand out feature.

The Alcatel is cheap and made of cheap parts.

The Alcatel has a Mediatek MT6577 Dual-core 1.2 GHz CPU and not an MSM8930 CPU.

no your wrong, its far from cheap made, and does not use cheap parts, and definitely does not have a mediatek Soc.  

sounds like you don't even have the phone so not sure how you could know if its cheap made or not, you have obviously just Google'd "Alcatel one touch idol S specs"

found this > link and assumed its correct, when its wrong. for a start meditek Soc does not support LTE,

one touch idol S is 100% dual core  snapdragon 400  (MSM8930)

here you can compare propper specs of both devices > http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/phones/compare/Alcatel-One-Touch-Idol-S,Motorola-Moto-G/phones/8136,8208

I actually have the one touch idols S and the moto G and can say the alcatel one touch feels much more like a premium device (build quality & design)

when i get time i will make a proper comparison, and cons and pros over the two.

but my first impressions of the idol S have been good,

most surprising thing for me was the fact the GTA san andreas works perfect without lag with the default settings...

on the moto g it lags and needs all the settings turned off or to the minimum (i think this is because the moto g is default underclocked by 400mhz)

i'm still unsure which i personally like best, but the moto G will defiantly have the best support

Guest alexgee

Your right as in I do not have this device but i have had this device in my hands when in the local EE shop and have owned a few Alcatel handsets in the past and to me they feel cheap and some what inferior.but then we all do have our own tastes and preferred brands or there would be no choice in the world.the handset i did not exploit or run any benchmarks on ,or even peak at the build.prop for that matter so i did rely on a certain site for such information maybe a bit to much in this case.you have opened my eyes that not 100% of what it says is true.the same could be said with any site for that matter not going to point the finger at just one site.But still i feel not just myself but others will be put off Alcatel handsets for there cheap builds and lack of good support in the enthusiast scene in the past.And if Alcatel are trying to make a better name for themselves with cheap competitive devices all the best to them.motorola put the Moto G out there now it seems every other company has released a good midrange competitor at that price point the choices are hard for anyone to make if your not an enthusiast for customisation and community build roms then its an open field on the other hand if your all for customisation and community built roms do your research some are better supported then others.

i don't know about other alcatel devices but this one is definitely not cheaply built,

it might feel that way because its much lighter than the moto g (33g lighter) and nearly half the width at 7.4mm

Here are the differences i notice off the top of my head, bare in mind i'm not saying which one is better as it really depends what you want in a phone 

One touch idol S

-1080p recording

-G sensor

-magnetic sensor

-Micro sdcard

-8mp camera

-much thiner & lighter

-4G / LTE

-Bigger display (better or worse)

-Dragon tail glass (said to be 10x stronger than gorilla)

-OGS display technology

Moto G

-kitkat official update + more in future

-More people supporting the device

-Smaller Display (better or worse)

-Water proof

-Better CPU (has same GPU)

-Customisable back covers

-Smoother UI and not skinned

-Longer battery life

will add benchmarks in a few mins and some pictures of both side by side. although i would not take benchmarks to seriously as i know the moto g scores higher but strangely gaming performance it quite a bit better on the one touch S (probably due to the underclock on moto G, supposed to run at 1.6ghz)

Hi guys thanks for the help everyone, I had a feeling the two krait cores would feel smoother in real life, can anyone confirm this?

no, the UI on the moto G is slightly smoother, but i think that just because its not skinned

but gaming on the idol one S is quite a bit smoother for some reason... hugely noticeable in GTA san andreas.

Would a custom launcher such as nova speed up the ui of the Alcatel?

the ui is not slow by any means, 99% of the time its smooth as butter, but very rarely it will slightly stutter when opening some apps for the first time,

this never happens on the moto g, but the rotation animation on the G kind of stutters like the opening app animation on the idol S

this might just be because i came from a nexus 5 though, most people probably wont even notice those things. 

Guest Epochology

the ui is not slow by any means, 99% of the time its smooth as butter, but very rarely it will slightly stutter when opening some apps for the first time,

this never happens on the moto g, but the rotation animation on the G kind of stutters like the opening app animation on the idol S

Oh right so both phones perform well overall and yield a similar experience jut one has better software support (moto g) whilst the other has 4g (idol s). Is there a significant modding community for the Alcatel and how much better is the build quality? BTW cheers for the help mate!

this might just be because i came from a nexus 5 though, most people probably wont even notice those things.

Guest Epochology

Last reply was broken edit:

Oh right so both phones perform well overall and yield a similar experience jut one has better software support (moto g) whilst the other has 4g (idol s). Is there a significant modding community for the Alcatel and how much better is the build quality? BTW cheers for the help mate!

Last reply was broken edit:

build quality is excellent on both, its just with the Idol S been much thinner and lighter it feels like a much more modern device, and looks better (IMO)

it also has a better camera and it records 1080p, moto G only records 720p, it has micro sdcard slot, moto G has 16gb max

Moto G has better CPU, better support, and much cleaner software (very close to AOSP) the Idol S is skinned to death with no forums that i am aware of

but that could change as the device is only been out about a week, if it gets a lot of attention will probably have a forum on here or xda

but this is why i say it depend on what you want from a phone,

if its custom roms the moto g is the safest bet... even though i'm the only person to have released one on here & xda i'm sure that will change after Christmas. 

• 1 month later...
Guest Watashi_PT

build quality is excellent on both, its just with the Idol S been much thinner and lighter it feels like a much more modern device, and looks better (IMO)

it also has a better camera and it records 1080p, moto G only records 720p, it has micro sdcard slot, moto G has 16gb max

Moto G has better CPU, better support, and much cleaner software (very close to AOSP) the Idol S is skinned to death with no forums that i am aware of

but that could change as the device is only been out about a week, if it gets a lot of attention will probably have a forum on here or xda

but this is why i say it depend on what you want from a phone,

if its custom roms the moto g is the safest bet... even though i'm the only person to have released one on here & xda i'm sure that will change after Christmas. 

Hello tillaz,

i just saw this post where you talk about having the GTA San Andreas running on Alcatel OT Idol S.

The thing is i have one too and i want to know if it's possible for you to tell me where you did download the apk and the data because i have tried it but without success.

And do you know about any community for this device?

Regards

• 1 month later...
Guest Dom_UK-EU

Side by side

The moto G i have is not mine its a Christmas gift, main reason i got the one touch idol S (waiting for more stock at tesco) 

Hi tillaz,

I'm considering both the Moto G, the Alcatel Idol S from EE, and also the Acer Liquid E2 from Three.

How easy is it to remove the Alcatel custom UI / Skin from the Idol S, looks like from your pictures, you have some how managed to get the full stock Android UI / skin there ? Is it just a simple case of rooting the phone if that's possiable on the Idol S yet ?

How is Idol S for general stuff i.e. Internet Browsing (Chrome / Firefox), Google Maps etc. Is Multi tasking alright ?

I currently have the Huawei G300, it's a nightmare now.