How to flash the US Global GSM 4.4.2 ROM to your UNLOCKED UK device

Guest Simon O

Guest Simon O

Warning: Reports that this is causing the SIM lock to popup on locked devices. Use with caution if you have not SIM unlocked your device. 

The full ROM for the US Global GSM variant has been released. Our UK devices are exactly the same hardware and model number as the US devices so the ROM works perfectly. However, you cannot upgrade from the UK to the US without wiping so you'll need to re-install your apps etc.

(the UK update should be out within the next few weeks so some users may want to want for this)

Firstly, download the following archives to your computer:

US 4.4.2 ROM from Motorola Firmwares - Link
Motorola fastboot - Link

Now, if you wish to regain ROOT after flashing the 4.4.2 ROM or you want to install custom recovery to create a backup etc, you need to download the following archives:

4.3 Motobootloader - Link
ClockworkMod Recovery - Link
SuperSU for the Moto G - Link

Flashing the update

Extract the 4.4.2 ROM onto your computer. Turn your Moto G off then hold power & volume down. Release both buttons and you should see the bootloader screen.

Copy the contents of the Motorola fastboot folder into the 4.4.2 ROM folder that contains the ROM files. Enter the 4.4.2 ROM folder and locate the US_retail_XT1032_KXB20.9-1.8-1.4_CFC.bat file
Rename fastboot-moto-windows.exe to fastboot.exe and ensure that it is in the same folder as the batch file and images. 

Now in Windows double-click the batch file to start the process. Linux or Mac users will need to open the file and manually enter the commands in a terminal window one by one to flash the ROM.

The script will first flash the new bootloader then reboot the phone before continuing. If you see a message about fastboot not responding then close that error box - BUT NOT THE COMMAND WINDOW - and the process will continue. Once flashed, close the windows then press the volume up button or power to boot your phone.

If the flashing process was successful then you'll boot into Android 4.4.2

If you have problems with the script then you can run the commands manually or save the following into a new file and rename to "flash.bat" and save it to the same folder containing the flash files. Make sure you are using the special Motorola fastboot!

fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash motoboot motoboot.img
fastboot-moto-windows.exe reboot-bootloader 
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash logo logo.bin
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash boot boot.img
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase modemst1
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase modemst2
fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase cache
fastboot-moto-windows.exe erase userdata
pause

Restoring ROOT

Shut down the phone the hold power & volume down to enter bootloader. Extract the 4.3 Motoboot folder to your computer, enter the directory. Run the batchfile contained to flash the older bootloader. Reboot your phone then hold power & volume down again to enter bootloader. Now follow the instructions for flashing recovery - either the patched stock recovery or clockworkmod and install the superuser using adb sideload.

Getting the H icon back on the status bar

US roms don't differentiate between 3G or H so they will always show 3G. To change this you can flash the following file through custom recovery that will fix this:

SystemUI-Patched

Update: Motorola modified the cell signal bars so they are a little wider than normal. If you want to have the usual Android style then you can flash the attached zip instead. HSPA has been enabled in this zip like above. SystemUI_AOSP_Statusbar-signed.zip

post-697226-0-63876600-1388252478_thumb. post-697226-0-45480600-1388252488_thumb.

Want the new Google Home launcher? Get it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2529594

Guest dt_matthews

sorry to be a pita, but when I vol down + power button I get to the Fastboot screen, am I supposed to flash from there or select recovery option in the menu?

I assumed the latter but when I do that my device disappears from Dev Mgr so adb cant connect...

(and if I try it from Fastboot screen it just says waiting for device)

I have the Motorola Device Mgr app installed.

Edited by dt_matthews

Guest misterbartlett

Just wanted to say thanks for this upload. I have just installed this update to KitKat, I'm amazed. It's really quick. Installed 1st time without a hitch. The awesomeness of the Moto G continues. This is the best value device i have ever purchased. £99 @ Tesco, it's madness.

When the update finished, the phone didn't leave the bootloader menu, so I had to select "normal startup" with VOL- button, then VOL+ to select. Also noticed when booting immediately after, the Motorola logo appears to freeze, but just needed to be patient. Just a little heads-up to help anxiety of others. :)

Thanks again.

Guest dt_matthews

Just wanted to say thanks for this upload. I have just installed this update to KitKat, I'm amazed. It's really quick. Installed 1st time without a hitch. The awesomeness of the Moto G continues. This is the best value device i have ever purchased. £99 @ Tesco, it's madness.

When the update finished, the phone didn't leave the bootloader menu, so I had to select "normal startup" with VOL- button, then VOL+ to select. Also noticed when booting immediately after, the Motorola logo appears to freeze, but just needed to be patient. Just a little heads-up to help anxiety of others. :)

Thanks again.

Did you get 'hab check failed' messages when running the batch file?

Guest beegee7730

Once rooted, is it fine to flash the 4.4.2 bootloader without issue?

Will recoveries be updated to support 4.4.2 without needing to downgrade the bootloader?

Guest Simon O

Thanks again.

Yes, you need to select normal startup to boot the phone. If the phone appears to freeze during boot then look carefully at the Motorola logo and you should see it slightly rippling. The first boot takes a while but it should work fine.

Safe to ignore the hab check failed messages. Nobody seems to know what they mean anyway

Does this require unlocked bootloader?

Yes, you will need to unlock the bootloader as you are going from UK to US ROM. If you don't want to unlock then the UK update should be here January/February.

Once rooted, is it fine to flash the 4.4.2 bootloader without issue?

Will recoveries be updated to support 4.4.2 without needing to downgrade the bootloader?

You can flash the 4.4 bootloader if you want to but it's perfectly fine to stay on the older bootloader. My phone has been running for 24 hours without issues so I'm confident that the older bootloader won't cause a problem. I think Motorola have just added something that prevents you from booting custom images. A few people are looking into this on XDA-Developers so if they figure out what exactly is happening then maybe they can update the recoveries so they work with the later bootloaders. 

Guest jusumgeezer

Just flashed this, after the reboot I got a message asking for a sim unlock pin, I never use those & I'm actually using a Tesco Sim in a phone I bought from Tesco, so I clicked on ignore, now I'm stuck on emergency calls only & can't manually add in my APN details. Any idea why?

Guest hecatae

Just flashed this, after the reboot I got a message asking for a sim unlock pin, I never use those & I'm actually using a Tesco Sim in a phone I bought from Tesco, so I clicked on ignore, now I'm stuck on emergency calls only & can't manually add in my APN details. Any idea why?

sim unlock as in pin code, or sim unlock as in network locked?

Have you just flashed a tesco locked Moto G with unlocked firmware?

Guest jusumgeezer

sim unlock as in pin code, or sim unlock as in network locked?

Have you just flashed a tesco locked Moto G with unlocked firmware?

"SIM network unlock PIN"

Ah yes I did, If forgot it isn't unlocked, I tried one of those unlock sites but they couldn't do it, so I just flashed the unbranded UK firmware & used a tesco sim in it

Guest hecatae

"SIM network unlock PIN"

Ah yes I did, If forgot it isn't unlocked, I tried one of those unlock sites but they couldn't do it, so I just flashed the unbranded UK firmware & used a tesco sim in it

any chance you can flash back to UK Firmware to see if it goes away, as I'm going to have to put warnings on the first post.

Guest Simon O

Thanks for the warning. I didn't see any reports about this before but the first post has been edited. What reason did the unlock service give for being unable to unlock the device? Did you give them the IMEI from the phone itself or the box as some people have reported that some Tesco devices have different IMEI numbers on the box. Worth checking.

The radio is NON-HLOS.bin so you could even try just flashing the file from the UK ROM and see if that helps. 

Guest Simon O

Flash with the special fastboot binary.

fastboot-moto-windows.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

If that doesn't help with the problem then you'll have to re-flash the 4.3 ROM again :(

Guest misterbartlett

Sorry mate, i was only watching the command window and device from a distance without reading. I did notice 2 or 3 lines on the phone though, highlighted yellow, but no idea if they were errors or not I'm afraid. The phone seems to run fine, but I haven't re-rooted or installed cwm recovery yet. I see flibblesan has a warning for sim locked phones, with reports of re-locking if i read it right. I'm a bit paranoid of going any further now. lol.

My phone was locked, so i got the code off ebay for £2 ish. Does anybody know if this will be affected with re-root and cwm recovery install? My Moto G is the 8Gb version from Tesco mobile in UK, which I had rooted before flashing this new KitKat rom. Am i safe? Should I start freaking out? LOL.

Guest jusumgeezer

No joy flashing the modem. Back to 4.3 for the time being then

Phone is now stuck in a boot loop. loads half of the boot animation then just hangs flashing the screen :angry:

Wish I just left it now...

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest TescoHudl

I'm on the Stock UK ROM at the moment with Tesco mobile. The phone is network locked at the moment.

I was ready to do this upgrade, but after reading the warning at the top of the first post, i'm not so sure about proceeding. Has anyone else done the upgrade on a locked Tesco mobile phone, and if so, how did it go?

What are the chances that my network will be wiped out?

Cheers...

I just read the comments on the previous page. It seems that some Tesco mobile customers are unable to get network after flashing this ROM. I think i'll leave it for the moment and wait to see when the UK update comes out.

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest h@mster81

Thank you Flibblesan!

I have a Moto G 16GB from Tesco unlocked using code from eBay. Followed all steps in post #1 and it worked like a charm. :)

Also managed to remove unlocked bootloader warning. Happy days.

Guest Simon O

No joy flashing the modem. Back to 4.3 for the time being then

Phone is now stuck in a boot loop. loads half of the boot animation then just hangs flashing the screen :angry:

Wish I just left it now...

Sorry man :(

Make sure that the 4.3 rom flashed correctly and you wiped the data and cache partitions. Just to be sure you can enter recovery and do a reset to clear data 

Guest jusumgeezer

Sorry man :(

Make sure that the 4.3 rom flashed correctly and you wiped the data and cache partitions. Just to be sure you can enter recovery and do a reset to clear data 

Tried that still no joy, also tried rooting & installing infusion custom rom & I still have the sim lock.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe a CWM backup of the original Tesco rom might get my signal back? If anyone actually has one of those???

Edited by jusumgeezer