European OTA roll out started (UK is a go!)

Guest jusumgeezer

Guest jusumgeezer

Looks like the European 4.4.2 is now being slowly pushed out in Europe.

A few members on XDA in Germany got it tonight. Fingers crossed for a UK version in the next few days...

Via:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2594590&page=9

Update 14th January: UK updates are available. Everyone should be able to update now :D

post-793064-0-71068200-1389044679_thumb.

Guest jusumgeezer

So after a bit of confusion regarding the release, a new post in that XDA thread from a supposed "Google Insider" puts the UK release back to 24th Jan.

I presume the German OTA (which includes english-UK as a language option) can be flashed in the same method as the US one? With a little tweak to the .bat file ?

Just for shits & giggles!

Guest gavin.19

So after a bit of confusion regarding the release, a new post in that XDA thread from a supposed "Google Insider" puts the UK release back to 24th Jan.

I presume the German OTA (which includes english-UK as a language option) can be flashed in the same method as the US one? With a little tweak to the .bat file ?

Just for shits & giggles!

I downloaded the update zip that's linked in the xda thread and copied it to the root of the sdcard, ie where Music/Pictures etc folders are.

I flashed the latest German Retail ROM from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

When it rebooted, it detected the update and asked if I wanted to apply it, so I did. Prior to all this, my phone was rooted, network unlocked and had an unlocked bootloader. I don't know which of those are/aren't necessary, but that's what i had.

I just switched the runtime to ART and rebooted. It took a few minutes for it to optimize all the apps again but it's back working and I haven't noticed any issues at all (yet).

Guest jusumgeezer

Just tried that, but got a failed install because im already on the US 4.4.2 so it wont let me downgrade. One solution would be to restore the uk 4.3 then flash the German 4.3 them sideload the 4.4.2 German OTA which I really can't be bothered doing now. I think i'll stick with the US until the UK one comed out in a few weeks at least this is already 4.4.2

Guest gavin.19

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/moto-g-android-4-4-kitkat-rollout-starts-in-uk seems to indicate it is rolling out in the UK now...

One of many articles that have popped up today stating the same info, worded a little differently.

I still haven't heard of a single person anywhere in the UK that has confirmed they've got the update yet.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49208630&postcount=164

Guest clayts450

I think the theory that many in the technical press have only just caught up on the Motorola press release prior to Christmas makes sense ;)

Guest strengthofmind

I downloaded the update zip that's linked in the xda thread and copied it to the root of the sdcard, ie where Music/Pictures etc folders are.

I flashed the latest German Retail ROM from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

When it rebooted, it detected the update and asked if I wanted to apply it, so I did. Prior to all this, my phone was rooted, network unlocked and had an unlocked bootloader. I don't know which of those are/aren't necessary, but that's what i had.

I just switched the runtime to ART and rebooted. It took a few minutes for it to optimize all the apps again but it's back working and I haven't noticed any issues at all (yet).

I followed this exact method, worked great on 2 phones.  Was very simple.  My phone is bootloader locked and not rooted.

The German Retail has the batch file included to run the script.  It ran the update in fastboot mode and I lost none of my apps or data.  Copied the German OTA to the device and checked Settings > About Phone > System Updates and it ran the update.  ART works fine.  apks seem to install without the google drive workaround.

Still does not come with GEL.  Search Google Experience Launcher 0.10.1.920880 for the apk.

Search Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.DE for the OTA.

Google Experience Launcher is Nexus 5 exclusive for the moment. No other devices will come with it.

What does this actually do? I had a look at the xda websire & many comments said that it doesn't actually add much.

Guest pepcisko

to be honest, the "biggest" feature of the GEL launcher is that quick page with Google Now.. 

otherwise, I don't see anything of value, compared to Nova/Apex and possibly others.

Guest Simon O

A chap on XDA apparently received the update on Tesco. He didn't extract the OTA before flashing though :(

A quick look at the details indicate that it's the same build as the French & German updates with the same baseband. The only difference is the kernel build time but I guess they are compiling the kernel every time they package the rom for a specific region rather than using a precompiled kernel.

What does this mean? Well it means if you flashed the German update to get kitkat earlier then you don't really need to re-flash to the UK ROM.

Guest markhuges

Yep,just read that too. Lost track of how many times I've flashed the 2 phones I've had & now Tesco roll out the OTA!

what? When did tesco roll out the OTA?

Guest Simon O

what? When did tesco roll out the OTA?

It's a staged roll-out so usually they send it out to a very small number of devices to make sure there are no problems, then they send it out to a larger number of devices before finally releasing it for all. It also prevents the OTA web server from dying if thousands of handsets try to update at the same time.

So I say give it another week. Moto said it'll be available on the 24th so I think that would be the release for all devices. If I find the OTA updates then I'll share them and post up a simple guide for updating with them.

Guest jusumgeezer

Got a few friends running untouched TESCO ROM, so I've told them not to apply the update so I can attempt to pull it off first.(fnar fnar!)

Will wait & see what happens...

Edited by jusumgeezer

Guest Loren82

It's a staged roll-out so usually they send it out to a very small number of devices to make sure there are no problems, then they send it out to a larger number of devices before finally releasing it for all. It also prevents the OTA web server from dying if thousands of handsets try to update at the same time.

So I say give it another week. Moto said it'll be available on the 24th so I think that would be the release for all devices. If I find the OTA updates then I'll share them and post up a simple guide for updating with them.

We will be watching on, I live in Spain but my Moto G comes from UK, thanks for the info

Guest chodu666

Just downloading the kit kat update now. Have a tesco moto g. Have done nothing to i since i got it.A prompt just came up automatically asking me if I wanted to download it. Approx 23:05 on Friday 10th jan. 187mb over WiFi.

Edited by chodu666