How do i root Android 4.4 Kitkat?

Guest TescoHudl

Guest TescoHudl

Hi,

I have just network unlocked my device, flashed the US 4.4 KitKat ROM, installed the modded SystemUI.apk to restore the 'H' icon and also flashed CWM.

But i don't understand how to re-root the phone?

Please could someone either explain or provide a link to the solution. It would be greatly appreciated as i am a bit stuck on this now.

Cheers. :)

Guest Restrictive

Didnt need to flash US Kitkat lol.

UK Kitkat arrived today

But yes Im wondering how to root?

Edited by Restrictive

Guest TescoHudl

I can't believe it. On the other thread it said that KitKat was due out on the 24th!!! Wasted both my money and time!!!

EDIT: Never mind guys, i just discovered how to do it. You have to download Superuser here and flash it in recovery. Quite how i didn't spot this solution before i made the thread, i don't know. Problem sorted anyway... :)

Thanks.

Edited by TescoHudl

Guest Restrictive

I can't believe it. On the other thread it said that KitKat was due out on the 24th!!! Wasted both my money and time!!!

EDIT: Never mind guys, i just discovered how to do it. You have to download Superuser here and flash it in recovery. Quite how i didn't spot this solution before i made the thread, i don't know. Problem sorted anyway... :)

Thanks.

Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

And yeah that was wrong info, Kitkat got pushed to my tesco device a few hours ago#

Edit: Just checked out the methods, any chance root can be done without boatloader unlock?

Edited by Restrictive

Guest Simon O

Easiest way to root would be to boot a custom recovery and flash Superuser through that. 

A new build of CWM recovery compatible with 4.4 bootloaders can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49333040&postcount=123

Download superuser from http://download.chainfire.eu/376/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.89.zip

flash recovery with the special motorola fastboot like

mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img

I managed to use the superboot method as detailed for 4.3 with a few oddities.

The process needs to be performed twice and I had to d/l the superuser app manually from play store, but now rooted fine.

Others (on xda) have reported the same results.

This method worked perfectly for me. I had a bl unlocked and superboot rooted motog with JB having done Paul's option 1 root for about a month. Today I reflashed to retail JB by doing the (pinned thread) method to "flash the standard UK ROM". Then got the OTA about an hour later, and then followed the flibblesan post just above to flash CWM and SuperSU.

Works great. Also just flashed on the faux kk kernel to see how that goes and installed xposed framework and gravitybox-kk. Couldn't be happier!

Happy days...

Edited by mc9662

Guest mdzelias

Easiest way to root would be to boot a custom recovery and flash Superuser through that. 

A new build of CWM recovery compatible with 4.4 bootloaders can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49333040&postcount=123

Download superuser from http://download.chainfire.eu/376/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.89.zip

flash recovery with the special motorola fastboot like

mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Hi, is a most to use the "mfasboot"? Im a Linux user so i have fastboot native and Is very well. In others cases I used it to flash but it would be any differences if I use "normal fastboot"?

Xposed and gravitybox are great. That give me the little tweaks I like e.g. quick settings drop down, status bar tweaks, power tweaks etc without going cyanogen. I've also put on the adblocking module minminguard and run greenify. I'm running with the non oc faux kernel (and recommended faux settings set with fauxclock) and it's all good. Battery at 74% after 25hr47min. I only really use it as a phone and for email, not really games etc and so that may explain battery use, and i probably have no need to oc...