execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:I.T;High-tech;Gaming;
  • Devices:S500,Explorer,Nexus7,Defy+,
Hello everyone. I opened this topic because it's over an year since I have been using this gorgeous smartphone built by Acer, the CloudMobile S500. It is a good phone, indeed, it has a smoking hot design, it is built from quality materials, also owns a good quality display, and the list can go on, but I decided it's time for an upgrade. What determined me to get over the S500? First thing : no upper than 4.1.2 update and with the new phones coming the display seems too small.
So, going back to subject, I am asking for your help. What phones would you recommend as an upgrade?
I have ~300 dollars in my pocket and at first I thought about the Moto G and Nexus 4, but I am not so sure on my decisions...
I am looking forward to seeing the recommendations!
Thank you very much!

Tomvl117

Tomvl117

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:Acer Cloudmobile S500
Motorola moto G ftw

WarpS

WarpS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Twitter:@WarpSx
Yeah, moto G. Except the camera and no sd card, it is a great device.

Spacecaker

Spacecaker

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Devices:Acer S500 CloudMobile
MotoG or Nexus 4/5 would be decent

but also oppp find 5 would be nice :P

wimmme

wimmme

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Devices:LG G2/Nexus7/AcerS500/iPad3
  • Twitter:@wimmme

I wouldn't buy a Phone that hasn't got 4G/LTE anymore, at least a 4.7" display and Android 4.3.

And until that combo becomes very affordable, I'll stick with my S500.

LG G2 or so would be nice ;-)

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

To be honest , I really like the G2 , but it's too big for my desires. I am looking for a ~5 inch display phone. ( min 4.5 inch ) Also, the price is pretty spicy... Huawei Ascend P6 would be another option ? I also like the HTC One X+. The thing is, I heard some of the guys who bought Moto G were pretty disappointed ...

Should I also consider Samsung devices ? I was thinking about the SIII 4G or the Note 2.

Also , if that is relevant, I am going to buy the phone from Amazon, since they have pretty nice prices.

L.E : Yeah, I'm officially just standing here and looking at smartphones on internet for literally 5 hours ... I have no idea what to go for. Any suggestions, please? My head starts to hurt ..

Edited by execpwd, 23 January 2014 - 07:06 PM.

Tomvl117

Tomvl117

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Samsung s3 with custom ROM is pretty awesome, really active community. HTC One X+? Not so much. The custom ROM community for that phone is even smaller than this one ;)
Just search around for a bit, use some price/specs comparison sites and pick your favorite phone! Also please remember to check the phone's XDA/MoDaCo communities.

EDIT: I'm putting so much emphasis on the ROM communities, because phones with a wide And great community tend to live longer ;)

Edited by Tomvl117, 23 January 2014 - 08:11 PM.

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Samsung s3 with custom ROM is pretty awesome, really active community. HTC One X+? Not so much. The custom ROM community for that phone is even smaller than this one ;)
Just search around for a bit, use some price/specs comparison sites and pick your favorite phone! Also please remember to check the phone's XDA/MoDaCo communities.

EDIT: I'm putting so much emphasis on the ROM communities, because phones with a wide And great community tend to live longer ;)

Good to know. I had a vague idea that the One X+ has a small community, but I was seduced by that NVIDIA quad CPU... I sincerely like the S3, but I would only go for the 4G version. I am going to research for at least 2-3 days, and I will ask some of my friends who own Moto G, S3 and the Nexus 4 for opinions. Maybe I get lucky and they will let me test them for a day at least...

wimmme

wimmme

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Devices:LG G2/Nexus7/AcerS500/iPad3
  • Twitter:@wimmme
Community IS important.

My spare phone was my first android phone, to see if i could live with android after Maemo on my Nokia N900.
IT is a second hand ZTE Blade V1, bought it for 50€, and it's running CM11, Android 4.4.2 KitKat ...
There is huge community supporting it and that makes a big difference ...

I still use it for festivals :-)

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Community IS important.

My spare phone was my first android phone, to see if i could live with android after Maemo on my Nokia N900.
IT is a second hand ZTE Blade V1, bought it for 50€, and it's running CM11, Android 4.4.2 KitKat ...
There is huge community supporting it and that makes a big difference ...

I still use it for festivals :-)

Community and easy development is what I am looking for. It means that Moto G and Nexus 4 are the main choices, followed by S3 4G, Oppo Find 5 (in which case I will have to wait for my 'paycheck')... I would love some help and opinions...

gkai

gkai

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:Acer S500 Cloudmobile

Community and easy development is what I am looking for. It means that Moto G and Nexus 4 are the main choices, followed by S3 4G, Oppo Find 5 (in which case I will have to wait for my 'paycheck')... I would love some help and opinions...

I would wait 1 or 2 month more and pick the galaxy s4. Should price drop soon, if rumors regarding new s5 are true...The just-released samsung flagships do not have the same quality/price ratio than the S500 for example, and their non-flagships phones are s*** imho. But the previous gen flagship is usually nice, nice screen/size ratio, huge community (roms, accessories,backcovers...), replacable batteries and micro-sd. Very few new phones have those characteristics, so that's what I plan to do if I feel like replacing my s500. Else, some sony looks more and more interesting, with their water resistance. I saw u came from the defy like I did, and that's one thing I miss with my Acer. The Moto X is interesting too, but no microsd :(

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Alright. The thing is the price on S4 is stupidly high and I simply don't like the look. I love the S3. I also love Nexus 4 ( over the Moto G ). Moto X is not shipped in Europe ... :( . I don't care about the micro-sd, as long as the device has at least 16 gigs of memory. ( I keep my photos and music on cloud ). I also don't really like Sony devices. ( the quality of the display is really poor - especially on the water resistant devices ). Today I had the chance to compare the Nexus 4 and Moto G - and from the exact experience ( both had 4.4.2 stock ROM ) I like the Nexus 4 more. A little bit bigger screen, faster response, better camera - and the glass design is simply SEXY!. What I did like about the Moto G : the display had sharper colors, the back cover is removable - nice customization may income ... So , although the N4 is ~ 100 dollars more expensive, I would go for him ... Tomorrow I will receive a S3 for comparison ! 

After I test them in parallel, I will draw a conclusion ...

Spacecaker

Spacecaker

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

I have used Galaxy S3 from my niece for a short while but damn this phone becomes very laggy after a while .

if you choose that phone u probaply will result in flashing Aosp Or a CM rom as the stock rom is soo damn unoptimized. 

even though it has those specs its still bit slowish 

would still prefer Nexus 4 above S3 :P

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

I have used Galaxy S3 from my niece for a short while but damn this phone becomes very laggy after a while .
if you choose that phone u probaply will result in flashing Aosp Or a CM rom as the stock rom is soo damn unoptimized.
even though it has those specs its still bit slowish

would still prefer Nexus 4 above S3 :P

Good to know. Anyways, anything I buy, the first thing installed is CM 11.

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Good to know. Anyways, anything I buy, the first thing installed is CM 11.

Wow , I just noticed that Nexus 4 has 2 Gigs of RAM. Choice made. Screw S3 and Samsung devices ! :)

I am going for LG Nexus 4 - 16 Gigabytes internal memory edition .

Spacecaker

Spacecaker

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Excelent choice!! u should get a reward for it ;)

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Excelent choice!! u should get a reward for it ;)

Yeah, funny. I should also now choose between white and black... =)

execpwd

execpwd

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Help ! I have been looking for Nexus 4 everywhere ! I don't know where to buy it from ! Considering the fact that on Amazon.co.uk the price is 235 Pounds, on Amazon.com the price is about 207 Pounds ( 343 dollars )and on a romanian site shop (pcgarage.ro) the price is 255 Pounds, I am not sure where to buy it from. I don't know if Amazon offers warranty and I don't know where the LG closest service is. I don't know what's the procedure for warranty (talking about Amazon.).   So, those who bought from Amazon, please tell me if they offer warranty, and / or if you know other shops where I can buy online from ( maybe even cheaper ) would be great. I am certainly going to buy the phone, but if I can save some money that would be great.  Thank you very much. L.E : any ideas / suggestions of places to buy from?

Edited by execpwd, 27 January 2014 - 08:55 PM.

A427

A427

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Devices:Acer CloudMobile
Why do you ask about Nexus 4 on a CloudMobile forum ???

Ivan69

Ivan69

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Devices:Acer S510 & SGS-II

Help ! I have been looking for Nexus 4 everywhere ! I don't know where to buy it from ! Considering the fact that on Amazon.co.uk the price is 235 Pounds, on Amazon.com the price is about 207 Pounds ( 343 dollars )and on a romanian site shop (pcgarage.ro) the price is 255 Pounds, I am not sure where to buy it from. I don't know if Amazon offers warranty and I don't know where the LG closest service is. I don't know what's the procedure for warranty (talking about Amazon.).   So, those who bought from Amazon, please tell me if they offer warranty, and / or if you know other shops where I can buy online from ( maybe even cheaper ) would be great. I am certainly going to buy the phone, but if I can save some money that would be great.  Thank you very much. L.E : any ideas / suggestions of places to buy from?

I bought a lot of products on Amazon (.it) and their after-sale service is excellent, I'm actually using it as 1st place where to buy everything

Few months ago I had some issues with a coffe machine, after 3 months from the purchase date (plastic melt... not a simple malfunction), and Amazon replaced it with a new one in 2 days without any problem

I don't know how they apply the warranty regarding smartphones, but I cannot see any reason why it should be different

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users