Android stalwart tries iPhone

Guest Zarch1972

Guest gordito

I respect the OP's opinions but mine are totally different.

I need a larger screen, and by no means do i have big hands or find it as easy to use a 5" phone.

But browsing and typing are just so so much better exprerience on a larger screen.

My last contact with ios was last year abouth this time, when i tried an iphone4 for a couple of months.

It was so much smaller!!!

Also i found that i needed much more time to do things with ios than on Android, for example typing was an auful exprience, app integration into system was zero, too many limitations for me.

Android is powerful, i can mod it, i can easily customise it to fit my needs, toggles, status bar, lockscreen, ringtones, alternate keyboard, sd card mounting, icons, launchers,  u name it.

PS

I am not tall ( 1.83cm and i have small hands for my height )

I never had trouble reaching the top right corner with my phones.

In the pics i show a 4.5" Chinese phone, and i think i could easily handle a 5-5.5" phone.

PKt59jK.jpg

KESu8qR.jpg

Lzu3rPK.jpg

Guest Maringer

I've recently moved from a Chinese phone with a 4.5" screen to another with a 5" screen and it is noticeable that it is now much easier for me to type accurately. A definite improvement moving between the two phones. Otherwise, there is only a small difference in the dimensions between the two devices though I would say that my hands aren't particularly big so one-handed operation is now right on the limit for me. I keep my phone in my trouser pocket and this phone fits in there fine (and comfortably), but I think that the new 5.5" screens would be just too big for both my pocket and one-handed operation.

My wife recently moved to an iPhone 5C and I've used the phone a little. Obviously, a well-designed system but I just hate the Apple keyboard (Swiftkey is just so much better) and I also dislike the need to press a physical button to return to the home screen. I've just got used to capacity keys, I suppose.

I don't doubt I could happily get on with an iPhone if required to do so, but do prefer the way that Android operates and can be modified (though I am currently using a MIUI ROM!).

Guest gordito

I've recently moved from a Chinese phone with a 4.5" screen to another with a 5" screen and it is noticeable that it is now much easier for me to type accurately. A definite improvement moving between the two phones. Otherwise, there is only a small difference in the dimensions between the two devices though I would say that my hands aren't particularly big so one-handed operation is now right on the limit for me. I keep my phone in my trouser pocket and this phone fits in there fine (and comfortably), but I think that the new 5.5" screens would be just too big for both my pocket and one-handed operation.

My wife recently moved to an iPhone 5C and I've used the phone a little. Obviously, a well-designed system but I just hate the Apple keyboard (Swiftkey is just so much better) and I also dislike the need to press a physical button to return to the home screen. I've just got used to capacity keys, I suppose.

I don't doubt I could happily get on with an iPhone if required to do so, but do prefer the way that Android operates and can be modified (though I am currently using a MIUI ROM!).

What chinese phone did you have and what did you move to now?

Guest Maringer

I had an FAEA F1 and have moved to a Coolpad F1.

The FAEA wasn't a bad phone especially for the price I paid. Unfortunately, FAEA dropped support for it pretty much instantaneously (despite promises otherwise) and their ROM was buggy. Also the Cortex-A5s in the Qualcomm chipset were a bit underpowered.

I find that the Coolpad is an excellent phone. The MT6592 gives plenty of grunt, good screen, good battery life and a good selection of ROMs. Better-built than the FAEA phone, excellent value and continuing support from Coolpad. I'm just hoping for a KitKat release for this one before too long - I do expect that Coolpad will produce one as they seem a pretty good company. There's a good thread about this phone in the "Other Devices" forum:

http://www.modaco.com/forum/445-other-devices/

Guest gordito

I had an FAEA F1 and have moved to a Coolpad F1.

The FAEA wasn't a bad phone especially for the price I paid. Unfortunately, FAEA dropped support for it pretty much instantaneously (despite promises otherwise) and their ROM was buggy. Also the Cortex-A5s in the Qualcomm chipset were a bit underpowered.

I find that the Coolpad is an excellent phone. The MT6592 gives plenty of grunt, good screen, good battery life and a good selection of ROMs. Better-built than the FAEA phone, excellent value and continuing support from Coolpad. I'm just hoping for a KitKat release for this one before too long - I do expect that Coolpad will produce one as they seem a pretty good company. There's a good thread about this phone in the "Other Devices" forum:

http://www.modaco.com/forum/445-other-devices/

lol just an hour ago i received a Coolpad :p

But it came with an issue, apps are gone after reboot.

More on that another topic though, here we are offtopic

Guest masterpfa

That's the beauty of choice. Everyone can choose what suits them best. No iPhone to date has interested me enough to jump ship but I reserve judgement until we see what Apple bring to the table this time.with the iPhone 6. Each year I wait watch and I'm disappointed when the latest phone is introduced.

One of your reasons for choosing the iPhone 5s was the screen size, which has been the main reason for me avoiding iPhones in the past, that is the screen is just to small for my needs. With me needing to wear glasses to read I struggle with the small display area of the likes of the iPhone and with large hands the device always feels like something designed for kids hands more than mine.

In all that it does I find the greatest strength in iOS has not always been just the devices but the apps that developers will work harder to deliver pleasant designs than they will do with Android. Premium feeling devices like the iPhone 5s are matched (IMO) by phones like the M8, but the screen is not quite yet up to par. The camera often touted as the best, yet never seems to fare as well in blind tests where the devices taking the pictures are not revealed.

Operating the device I have always found NOT to be as intuitive as many have claimed it to be, from the introduction of the first device, especially if you had not used a previous iPhone (these have been my findings watching a newbie struggle with their very first smartphone of any kind, an iPhone 4s).

I have never ruled out iPhone ownership, but to date these have not been for me.

(Please note there have been between 2-4 iPhone users in my household from the first phone so I have experienced them all first hand)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.