Any interest in a new kernel governor?

Guest shiftyc

Guest shiftyc

Is anyone interested in a Blade V kernel with SmartAss2 governor?  No overclocking, just one extra governor.  Please reply to this thread if you're interested.  If there are enough responses I'll upload my work, but there's no point if this is no use to anyone.  Thanks.

Guest targetbsp

Me too but i only use it if you integrate it in ur custom ROM.

Unless I've missed it - Shiftyc doesn't have a custom rom.  djfnz's MIUI uses shiftyc's previous kernel though so I guess there's no reason you couldn't replace it with this if you wanted to.

Guest gkalen

Is anyone interested in a Blade V kernel with SmartAss2 governor? No overclocking, just one extra governor. Please reply to this thread if you're interested. If there are enough responses I'll upload my work, but there's no point if this is no use to anyone. Thanks.

So ,you're gonna keep it for yourself?? ... :p

This is a good job, just upload it and don't ask, users of Blade V , are few , as you did a good job with adding smartass2 , i think you must release it.

Personally i will try it, cause i use performance ( i think it gives phone power, smoothness, speed, etc ) and i would like to see how it will go with smartass2.

The strange thing with this kernel, is that every governer makes the phone a bit laggy, except performance ( at list on my phone )

As you did good job with kernel, why don't you try to make it support sd-ext, we're gonna gain a lot of extra space.

Me too but i only use it if you integrate it in ur custom ROM.

You can add it by yourself inside the zip , of any rom you want to flash

Edited by gkalen

Guest GaBBren

Unless I've missed it - Shiftyc doesn't have a custom rom.  djfnz's MIUI uses shiftyc's previous kernel though so I guess there's no reason you couldn't replace it with this if you wanted to.

oh yeah i tought it's gkalen because he is very active with this stuff lately... sorry Shiftyc :)

Guest shiftyc

Lol, no problem.

People seem to use the term "kernel" to describe lots of things, so I'll clarify.  What I'd provide is a boot image that you can flash to your boot partition.  The image contains 2 things - the kernel and the ramdisk.

The ramdisk is a compressed file that you can unpack and modify, as it contains a bunch of boot scripts.  For example, you can add support for init.d scripts which I've done previously, this is the same thing that gkalen has done with the kitchen.

The kernel is compiled code that can't be changed without modifying the source and re-compiling.  This is the bit that contains CPU governors and frequencies for overclocking, amongst other things.

So... you could flash one of gkalen's ROMs (or any other), which contains a boot image with stock kernel, plus whatever ramdisk changes gkalen has made with the kitchen.  You can then safely flash my boot image over the top, which will have SmartAss added to the kernel, and my init.d support added to the ramdisk.  The ROM will work fine.

Or if you think there's something that gkalen had changed in his ramdisk that you really need to have, if he sends me his ramdisk, I can make a boot image with my kernel and his ramdisk for you to flash.

Either way, you can have the governor with whatever ROM you like, but you may need to flash twice.  I hope I haven't confused you even more :P

Guest shiftyc

So ,you're gonna keep it for yourself?? ... :P

This is a good job, just upload it and don't ask, users of Blade V , are few , as you did a good job with adding smartass2 , i think you must release it.

Personally i will try it, cause iuse performance ( i think it gives phone power, smoothness, speed, etc ) and i would like to see how it will go with smartass2.

Sorry, I missed your reply.  I have very limited time, when I upload something like this I like to add a detailed post so that inexperienced users know what to do. Unfortunately I don't have time to keep coming here to help people out.  So writing the post etc takes time and if no-one's interested, it's a waste of my life :)  So far we have 1 yes and 2 "maybes"!

The strange thing with this kernel, is that every governer makes the phone a bit laggy, except performance ( at list on my phone )

The performance governor just means put CPU at max speed all the time.  It will definitely be the smoothest, but it'll kill your battery.  The default governor for the stock kernel is performance (which is why the kernel description has "perf" on the end), but when it's finished booting, it switches to ondemand to give a better compromise between performance and battery life.  SmartAssv2 is definitely going to be slower than performance.  Many people like it because it gives a good balance, and ramps up to full speed quite quickly when needed.  I think it's the default in CM these days.

As you did good job with kernel, why don't you try to make it support sd-ext, we're gonna gain a lot of extra space.

I don't know how to.  targetbsp had a good shot at this a couple of months ago, but couldn't get it working.  I personally don't have space issues so I don't have much motivation.

Edited by shiftyc

Guest gkalen

Very nice , we will waiting for this boot.img.

Yesterday i noticed also that interactive governor with ( 480min-1209max ) , is quite good , very smooth like on performance , i will see how it will go.

Personally , my phone is almost all day on , except when i'm sleeping , and battery last 26-32 hours with performance governor , so i feel ok with battery.

Guest KonstaT

Actually smartass governor was written long long time ago and hasn't been updated in ages. It really isn't suitable/optimal for multi-core CPUs.

Nowadays even the bigname kernel devs have mostly abandoned any exotic CPU governors and only keep interactive and ondemand in sync with latest updates.

Guest shiftyc

Actually smartass governor was written long long time ago and hasn't been updated in ages. It really isn't suitable/optimal for multi-core CPUs.

Nowadays even the bigname kernel devs have mostly abandoned any exotic CPU governors and only keep interactive and ondemand in sync with latest updates.

Yeah, I had worked that out myself, but I wanted to add the governor to help me learn.

Now that you've just ruined my day by telling me my hours of effort were pointless, how about lending a hand getting overclocking working? :)

Guest KonstaT

Now that you've just ruined my day by telling me my hours of effort were pointless, how about lending a hand getting overclocking working? :)

Sorry, didn't mean to. :P

I'm not aware of any msm8x25 or msm8x25q device that has working overclock on 3.4 kernel. I think if it was as straight forward as usual (hacking the frequency table) the Huawei Y300/G510 guys would have done it already.

What was the Samsung device with msm8x25q that had CyanogenMod? Maybe worth checking if they've had any success. Edit. It was msm8x25 Galaxy Core I was probably thinking of. There's allegedly some experimental CPU overclock but no source code. Edit2. Oh, it was just the usual XDA bullshit. It doesn't even work.

Just as a suggestion if you want add something useful, Qualcomm's ROW i/o scheduler would be a nice addition.

Guest shiftyc

Sorry, didn't mean to. :P

I'm not aware of any msm8x25 or msm8x25q device that has working overclock on 3.4 kernel. I think if it was as straight forward as usual (hacking the frequency table) the Huawei Y300/G510 guys would have done it already.

What was the Samsung device with msm8x25q that had CyanogenMod? Maybe worth checking if they've had any success.

Just as a suggestion if you want add something useful, Qualcomm's ROW i/o scheduler would be a nice addition.

Cool, glad it's not just my stupidity.  I've already looked at the Huawei custom sources but didn't know about a Samsung device, I'll see what I can find.  Thanks for the heads-up.

I promise in future to try to only add useful features :P

Edited by shiftyc

Guest shiftyc

Shame about the Galaxy Core kernel.

Quick question for KonstaT or anyone with kernel compilation experience - I've merged some code for the ROW i/o scheduler but I'm getting a compilation error I've never seen before:

Segmentation fault
close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr

Anyone know what this means and how to fix?  Thanks.

Guest gkalen

Quick question for KonstaT or anyone with kernel compilation experience - I've merged some code for the ROW i/o scheduler but I'm getting a compilation error I've never seen before:

Segmentation faultclose failed in file object destructor:sys.excepthook is missinglost sys.stderr
Anyone know what this means and how to fix? Thanks.
I hope you find the problem .

I'm sorry , i cannot help on this .

I'm good on other stuff ( roms , mods and themes ) , but no good at kernels , all i can do is only with cygwin , nothing more.

Keep up the good job.

What about if you try to do it with interactive as default governor and not ondemand.

I pass the day with interactive ( 480 min-1209max ) and i haven't problems , phone is fast and smooth.

Edited by gkalen

Guest KonstaT

Segmentation fault
close failed in file object destructor:
sys.excepthook is missing
lost sys.stderr

Anyone know what this means and how to fix?  Thanks.

Was that the compiler that segfaulted? There's something wrong in your build environment in that case (not the code). What distro do you have?

Happened to me twice yesterday compiling Android too (I think that has never happened before). Rebooted my system and it compiled fine after that. :o

Guest shiftyc

Was that the compiler that segfaulted? There's something wrong in your build environment in that case (not the code). What distro do you have?

Happened to me twice yesterday compiling Android too (I think that has never happened before). Rebooted my system and it compiled fine after that. :o

Yup, did a few compiles fine whilst I was debugging the ROW code, then all of a sudden it starting segfaulting on every make.  I assumed it was something I'd done with the code!

I'm running Mint Cinammon 17, did a fresh install only about a week ago because 17 is an LTS release.  I've compiled several times with no problem until yesterday.  I'll try the latest OS updates then give it another go, thanks for your help.

[update] - still doing the same thing.  Annoying :(

Edited by shiftyc

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest shiftyc

What's wrong with the existing governors?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Governors give a trade-off between performance and battery life.  People use their phones in different ways and their needs differ, so a governor that works well for one person might not be the best for another.  My purpose was simply to give people more choice.

That said, development has been halted due to apathy :)