How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest r00tmydevices

Just tried again to install the two drivers in device manager. Got this message.

The best driver software for your device is already installed.

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

Android ADB Interface.

Guess I should go ahead with attempt three at following Paul's instructions?

Guest r00tmydevices

I'm getting somewhere but not quite mission accomplished just yet.

In command prompt, 'adb-windows reboot bootloader' worked and Hudl 2 rebooted. It's on a Droidboot screen. Four options: 

Reboot Droidboot

Reboot

Recovery

Power off

I used volume down button to select 'reboot' then pushed power button. Tablet rebooted. Tried the next step of instructions. Entered 'fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1' (name of the firmware I downloaded is system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1, I haven't renamed it). But message I'm getting within command prompt is... error: cannot determine system filename for 'system.hudl2.rooted.20150106.154003.ONLY.r1' 

Guest r00tmydevices

Got this message:

target reported max download size of 1261379584 bytes

sending sparse 'system' <1219395 KB>...

OKAY [ 72.876s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [24.432s]

sending sparse 'system' <51964 KB>...

OKAY [ 3.727s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [.169s]

finished. total time: 103.205s

Does that mean job done? How can I check that my device is now successfully rooted?

Guest r00tmydevices

Don't press reboot. You are meant to leave the bootloader screen on when you enter the flash command

First time I rebooted. Second time I left it on bootloader screen and then entered fastboot command.

Guest r00tmydevices

Plea to Paul

Its great and now that they they all can see that your way will root the 2, can I ask if you could just spend some time for newbies and am sure that there are a lot out, can you please make idiots/step by step guide. It would make life so much easier and we would be eternally grateful. ;)

100% agree with you on this. Step-by-step screenshots would be so useful as would filling in all the little gaps that were not included in the original instructions such as the need to install ADB device drivers etc otherwise plenty of other members may have a very frustrating time ahead of them whilst trying to root their Hudl 2 as did I for best part of today!   :mellow:

Well, you could look at this as an opportunity to document 'for others' how you achieved a rooted hudl2 - as you had to jump through all the hoops in the process? (from a windows 7 perspective).

In that way, as it's all fresh, from your view point, you're more likely to cover all aspects that others with more experience may miss (or in other words, forget some people require many smaller steps, instead of a 'one liner' at a certain point in the process).

Just a thought.

Guest Wychall

Got this message:

target reported max download size of 1261379584 bytes

sending sparse 'system' <1219395 KB>...

OKAY [ 72.876s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [24.432s]

OKAY [ 3.727s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [.169s]

Does that mean job done? How can I check that my device is now successfully rooted?

Yes, that is the same message as I had when I did mine. Root Checker confirmed, and also you will have SuperSU in your app drawer now.

Congrats.....

Guest r00tmydevices

Download root checker from playstore. I think you are now rooted though. What you posted looks correct. Good luck!

Did as you suggested and app says 

Root Access     access granted

Guess it is now finally...mission accomplished? Hurray!!   :)  :D

Thank you to everyone who helped me get there.

Guest r00tmydevices

Well, you could look at this as an opportunity to document 'for others' how you achieved a rooted hudl2 - as you had to jump through all the hoops in the process? (from a windows 7 perspective).

In that way, as it's all fresh, from your view point, you're more likely to cover all aspects that others with more experience may miss (or in other words, forget some people require many smaller steps, instead of a 'one liner' at a certain point in the process).

Just a thought.

Good idea. Will attempt to re-trace my many many steps and see if I can do just that...

Guest r00tmydevices

After spending most of the day trying to root my Hudl 2 and facing numerous issues along the way, I shall now attempt to collate all the kind help I received from other members with a more detailed set of Paul's original instructions for any other newbies out there like myself using Windows 7. Hope you have no objections Paul (don't wish to infringe on any copyrights etc, lol!)

How to root

To root your device, follow the following steps:

• Ensure your device is fully charged. This is a safety net really, but good practice. It gives you time if something goes wrong. At the very least I'd recommend 50% battery. If your device powers off for any reason or the flash is interrupted, your hudl 2 is toast.
  • Ensure USB debugging is enabled. In 'Settings -> About', tap the 'build number' like a madman until a message appears stating developer mode has been enabled. Then use 'Settings -> Development' to enable USB debugging. You should see a tick in the box beside this option.
  • Plug the device into your computer using the microUSB cable. A message may pop up on your tablet screen asking you to authorise the connection. Tap 'Agree'. If it doesn't then go into Device Manager  on your computer (Start > Computer then right-click and select Properties. Click on Device Manager which is the first option in left-hand column). You may see listed:  Other Devices  ADB Interface with a yellow exclamation sign beside it. If you do then you will need to follow these additional steps in order to install the required ADB and hudl 2 drivers. If there is no exclamation mark then you can skip to the next step of downloading the required firmware and ADB / Fastboot tools.
  • Install Version 4.17 installer (top link on this page  http://pdanet.co/a/  and choose 'other' device (bottom option) and fastboot should work.
  • 'Other devices'  in Device Manager may now disappear and reappear at the top of list as Android Phone. There should be no yellow exclamation mark here when you click arrow to the left which then points downwards and displays ADB Interface. If you still have a yellow exclamation mark you may need to download and try installing these drivers  http://athena.outer-reaches.com/wp/index.php/archives/1170  (second link down in top left-hand corner) from within Device Manager. To do this, click on ADB Interface to highlight it then right-click and select 'Update driver software'. Select bottom option (Browse my computer for driver software). Click on 'Browse' and navigate to the directory containing the downloaded drivers. There is Hudl2Drivers\Debug Driver\amd64, Hudl2Drivers\Debug Driver\i386 and Hudl2Drivers\MTP Driver. Try each one in turn until the yellow exclamation sign disappears, meaning you have successfully installed a suitable driver.
  • Download and extract the zip file above to a directory on your computer. If you don't have ADB / Fastboot already, you should also download and extract that. For simplicity sake you may wish to rename the firmware filename to something simple like 'root'.
  • Open a command prompt / terminal window to the location where you extracted the files. To do this, goto My Computer and navigate to the directory containing these files. Hold down 'Shift' key on your computer keyboard and right-click then select 'Open command prompt here'
  • ON A WINDOWS PC: enter 'adb-windows reboot bootloader', the following message will pop up on your hudl 2 screen. Allow USB Debugging? The computer's RSA key fingerprint is: F1: 65:2C:1C:7C:.....  Put a check in the box beside 'Always allow from this computer then tap "ok". Your device should now reboot itself and then display a Droidbot bootloader screen. Now enter 'fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system root.img' 
  • You may see the following text in the command prompt window:
  • target reported max download size of 1261379584 bytes
  • sending sparse 'system' <1219395 KB>...

OKAY [ 72.876s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [24.432s]

OKAY [ 3.727s]

writing 'system'...

OKAY [.169s]

• There is nothing to be alarmed about. Just let it do it's thing. DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS

• Use the volume down button on your device to select 'REBOOT' (second option of four listed) then push the power button to activate.
  • Your device will now reboot itself.
  • If you'd like to double-check that your device is now in fact rooted. You can go to Google Play Store. Sign into an existing account or set-up a new one. Search Root Checker. There are a few different ones available. They should all be free. Install app. Open app. Tap 'Check' and you should see something along the lines of  Root Access ...  access granted
  • Enjoy your rooted device!

Hope that helps at least someone out and saves them much frustration plus the need to ask loads of questions like I did.

Edited by r00tmydevices

Guest stevehudl2

I know nothing about hacking or programming but I was wondering if the kindle fire 2 way could be a possibility?

Can't get at the bootloader so you install a second, custom one, could that be a option on these?

I wonder if the real reason these are so dam locked down is the CPU architecture, with open access there's nothing stopping the h2 from running windows, that's the last thing tesco want but why does this have the CPU it does? Is there another tablet out there under a different name and styling but essentially the same device running a o.s other than android? Has the manufacturer really made this device exclusively just for tesco? Hmmmmm

Edited by stevehudl2

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I can follow the instructions only so far. When I attempt the final command, I don't get the correct response:

C:\adbfastboothudl>fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.2
0150106.154003.ONLY.r1
< waiting for device >

It stays at < waiting for device > seemingly forever. The Hudl screen itself does not change.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness

Guest targetbsp

I can follow the instructions only so far. When I attempt the final command, I don't get the correct response:

C:\adbfastboothudl>fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.hudl2.rooted.2
0150106.154003.ONLY.r1
< waiting for device >

It stays at < waiting for device > seemingly forever. The Hudl screen itself does not change.

You don't have a fastboot driver.  Have a look at the discussion between rootmydevices and me, particularly with regards to pda.net

Guest r00tmydevices

0150106.154003.ONLY.r1
< waiting for device >

Yes, that is a very important step that wasn't mentioned in much detail in Paul's original instructions, getting Fastboot drivers installed on your Windows machine. The pda.net link that targetbsp kindly posted successfully got me past the point you're stuck at. Follow the instructions and screenshots to the letter. There's a few message popups that will appear on the Hudl screen which you need to agree to etc in order to proceed as required.

You're close so don't give up now! Best of luck. Feel free to ask any other questions if you get stuck again.

Guest targetbsp

Yes, that is a very important step that wasn't mentioned in much detail in Paul's original instructions, getting Fastboot drivers installed on your Windows machine.

He did post this earlier in the thread: http://www.modaco.com/topic/373642-how-to-root-your-hudl-2/?p=2236261

If he's not even sure where to get the drivers, his instructions aren't going to show them. :)

I think most stuff around here is fairly Linux oriented because Android is Linux based.  And Windows, as you've seen, is a pain in the bum at all this!   I would have done this in Linux myself if I hadn't had to get rid of it due to a lack of drive space a few months ago!  My Blade and SGS rooting was all done in Linux.

Guest r00tmydevices

That helps explains things. I've not yet dabbled with Linux hence my perceverance using Windows 7 to achieve root.

Thanks a million for all your help yestetday, would deffo not have managed it otherwise.

Guest Normola

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

1. First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  2. Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  4. Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  5. Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  6. Select 'Open-source licences'
  7. Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  8. This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  9. Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.

From here you can enable developer mode, enable adb and fix any stupid changes to the system partition that you might have made (whoops :P )

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage :D

Guest PaulOBrien

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

• First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  • Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  • Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  • Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  • Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  • Select 'Open-source licences'
  • Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  • This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  • Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.
From here you can enable developer mode, enable adb and fix any stupid changes to the system partition that you might have made (whoops :P )

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage :D

This, Sir, is GENIUS. Excellent work.

P

Guest sxotnet

Firstly, thanks to Paul for making this root possible!

I think I've landed myself in this situation:

1. First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  2. Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  4. Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  5. Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  6. Select 'Open-source licences'
  7. Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  8. This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  9. Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage

I kept getting an authorisation problem on the wifi connection. It would last 5 minutes and then die out with this message. I did a factory reset which didn't resolve the issue and now I got locked out of the thing due to the forced update! Naiviety on my part.

I get as far as the Google Now search page on this and type 'Settings', only nothing happens?? What is expected at this point, any help/ideas??

Would it be easy for me to load a stock rom image from the xd card? Any help on where I can find it?

Thanks all.

EDIT: Solved it, I connected to the wifi as it stays awake long enough to download a settings app and open from the play store. When going through the first time startup, I connected, setup my Google account and then when it asked about a Tesco account, I went to register one and used the keyboard hack above to get to Google Now and search for a settings app. I used a small one called Android Hidden Settings and navigated to the device settings from there and turn on the dev options as normal.

Thanks Normalo, wouldn't have had a clue where to start if it wasn't for you!

Edited by sxotnet

Guest r00tmydevices

I don't think there is a stock image available as Tesco won't release it. I could have this information wrong but that is my understanding from my reading of this sub-forum.

Guest Marmalade

Thank you Paul for managing to accomplish rooting the Hudl 2 and for sharing the info.

On the OP it does not mention the latest update files until the download files section. Unfortunately I stopped reading at the earlier part when my files did not match the requirements specified. After being convinced elsewhere that the correct info was here all along I then continued to follow your instructions and successfully rooted my device.

It might help other future Hudl rooters if you could update the requirements section of the OP.