[DEV][ROM][29.3.] CyanogenMod 12 (Android 5.0.2) for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
Here's an early taste of Lollipop for ZTE Open C / Kis 3 (Beeline Smart2, Moche/MEO Smart A16, ZTE V811W, ZTE V811, Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, ZTE Blade M, etc). It is unofficial and unsupported by the CyanogenMod team. It's for advanced users only.

Important. Prerequisites!!! You need to install Android KitKat on your Open C first (e.g. EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip will do). You also need to have this ClockWorkMod or this TWRP recovery installed.

Screenshot_2014-11-20-20-16-26.png Screenshot_2014-11-20-20-17-20.png Screenshot_2014-11-20-20-16-55.png

Do not mirror my builds! Please post a link to this thread instead.

cm-12-2015xxxx-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip
discontinued - use CM12.1 instead
md5:

[GAPPS] The Gapps Central - pa_gapps-modular-pico-5.0.1-20150315-signed.zip recommended.

Working:
  • RIL (mobile network, SMS & data)
  • Wifi
  • Audio (playback/input/routing/headphones/etc)
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera (photos, camcorder & panorama)
  • FM radio
  • GPS
  • Hardware acceleration and OpenGL rendering
  • Hardware video decoding & encoding
  • SD card
  • USB-storage (on external sdcard) & adb
  • USB-tethering
  • Wifi-tethering
  • Touchscreen/multi-touch
  • Sensors
  • LEDs
Not working:
  • ???
Issues:
  • dual-SIM (V811W) not supported

Important!!! If you’re using my open sourced work as a part of your project, be fair and give proper credits, and contribute back by keeping your project open source as well. I've put countless hours of my spare time into this project and I deserve at least this (I'm not getting paid to do this). Free and open source doesn't mean without respect!

Sources:
  • CyanogenMod team & everyone who's been working on CM12
Like my work?
btn_donate_LG.gif
Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

Merged commits not mentioned in the changelog.

29.3. changelog:

• hack/fix playing custom ringtones from sdcard on incoming call
  • new msm8610 specific power HAL
  • fix glitch in short notification/ui sounds
  • build iris fm and pronto wlan drivers into kernel and disable modules support (we're going moduleless :P)
  • patch CVE-2015-1420 and CVE-2014-8173 in kernel
  • add optimized memutils in kernel (thanks to Motorola)
  • update Adreno drivers

17.3. changelog:

• SELinux enforcing
  • patch OpenSSL FREAK attack (CVE-2015-0204 - merged)

7.3. changelog:

• use userspace implementation to set correct wlan MAC address
  • add camera wrapper to disable unsupported HDR mode
  • patch CVE-2014-8160 and CVE-2014-9683 in kernel
  • remove support for unused hardware in kernel
  • tweak kernel build flags for Cortex-A7

8.2. changelog:

• further tweak lowmemorykiller values
  • patch CVE-2015-1465 in kernel
  • fix 'Most-visited sites' homepage on browser
  • revert back to original green CM browser (it's themeable now)
  • fix calculator crash

25.1. changelog:

• add key disabler (disables hardware virtual keys when navigation bar is enabled just like on OnePlus One)
  • lowmemorykiller: Overwrite LMK parameters for low-tier devices (1)
  • customizable quick settings tiles (merged)
  • new theme engine (merged)

10.1. 2015 changelog:

• add performance profiles
  • enable KSM and increase zRAM size
  • switch to NuPlayer instead of using old AwesomePlayer
  • Kis3Info: add partition info
  • un-uglied the stock browser :P
  • built-in root management (merged)
  • initial USB mass storage support (merged)

21.12. changelog:

• add display color calibration option
  • most system apps updated to material design and all new CyanogenMod apps (AudioFX, Eleven, Trebuchet) (merged)
  • Android 5.0.2 (merged)

20.11. changelog:

• initial release

Previous builds:

cm-12-20150329-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?u3sws07lqlg6a44
md5:2c556c124c3a0a4b5df16311935149bf

cm-12-20150317-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?sqtdlk7jsa29q75
md5:c3ecc1fc95cac66401de76be40f65a3e

cm-12-20150307-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?k2lxpjdpbtjftxe
md5:474995bce9e1083cdc135ee88c70e5aa

Edited by KonstaT

Guest KonstaT

How to install:

1. boot into ClockWorkMod
  2. backup and restore -> backup (create a nandroid backup of your current ROM)
  3. mounts and storage -> format /system
  4. wipe data and factory reset
  5. install cm-12-xxxxxxxx-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip
  6. install gapps-lp-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip
  7. reboot now
  8. if/when recovery asks to fix root - choose no

FAQ:

Q: I can't find developer options and performance settings, why?
A: Settings -> About phone -> Click 'Build number' several times

Q: I don't have reboot options in power menu, why?
A: Settings -> Developer options -> Advanced reboot

Q: I have no root, why? What is that hashtag on my status bar?
A: Settings -> Developer options -> Root access. Root management is now integrated as part of CM's Privacy Guard and you can manage per app permissions under Settings -> Privacy -> Privacy Guard. You'll have a persistent notification in the status bar when you're running an app that uses root permissions.

Q: When I'm connected with an USB cable to my computer, I can't see my internal sdcard as a storage, why?

A: I've made an executive decision not to include a mount point for internal sdcard. This is because recent Android versions don't allow setting emulated sdcard as secondary storage. Setting rather small emulated sdcard as a primary storage caused issues with games/apps that want to download large amounts of data to the sdcard. Also partition layout is different on Open C and Kis 3 and internal sdcard is handled differently between device variants.

Q: 'OK Google' voice command doesn't work, why? There's no Google Now page on the homescreen, why?
A: These are features of proprietary Google Now Launcher. 'OK Google' voice command is also disabled on low memory devices (you can enable it by removing/commenting/changing to false 'ro.config.low_ram=true' in /system/build.prop).

Q: There's only a home button on an Open C. How is this going to work?
A: There's 'hidden' back and menu keys on left and right side of the home button. There's also an option to use software navigation bar instead of the capacitive keys.

Q: There's an option to enable auto-brightness but it doesn't work, why? Proximity sensor doesn't work either...
A: Open C doesn't have ambient light/proximity sensor. Some Kis 3 variants on the other hand do, so that's why I've kept the support.

Q: How do I enable dual-SIM features on my V811W?
A: Add 'persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds' to /system/build.prop or optionally 'setprop persist.radio.multisim.config dsds' in rooted adb shell/terminal session.

How to build:

1. Follow instructions on initializing a build environment up to a point of downloading the source code.

2. Initialize CyanogenMod 12 repo.

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-12.0

3. Add local manifest that downloads ZTE Open C / Kis 3 device config, kernel source and proprietary files from my github.

curl --create-dirs -L -o .repo/local_manifests/manifest_zte_kis3.xml -O -L https://raw.github.com/legaCyMod/android_local_manifest/cm-12.0/manifest_zte_kis3.xml

4. Sync source code.

repo sync

5. Apply patches. No patches currently required.

6. Compile.

cd path-to/cm12/
. build/envsetup.sh
brunch kis3

Use 'repo sync' to pull merged changes from upstream. Use 'make clobber' to clean the build environment. Repeat step 6 to make a new build.

Guest Filip9610

So i have cm11, do i need to wipe everything to install this build or just update like regular and do the gapps from xda work ?

Edited by Filip9610

Guest KonstaT

So i have cm11, do i need to wipe everything to install this build or just update like regular and do the gapps from xda work ?

Full wipe required. Installation instructions in the third post.

Guest KonstaT

Hey, great work! Everything is working great but could you fix lockscreen to set custom background, please?! : ) 

This falls into the category of 'most CyanogenMod features not yet implemented'. I'm quite sure it's not on the top of the list of CM features to port either, so unfortunately you're just going to have to wait.

Actually be happy that you have any lockscreen background at all. By default it's nothing but a blank black screen on low RAM Lollipop devices. ;)

https://github.com/KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3/commit/1d84cfb4cad4061c6bb690eea0765412d013eacb

Guest Aseieil

Thank You for fast answer! And in your stock version of rom, custom background didn't works too, so could You fix only this? : ) It's best rom for me (4.4.2) because on kitkat 4.4.4 often quits from apps and I can't play games comfortable : /

Guest KonstaT

Thank You for fast answer! And in your stock version of rom, custom background didn't works too, so could You fix only this? : ) It's best rom for me (4.4.2) because on kitkat 4.4.4 often quits from apps and I can't play games comfortable : /

I haven't made any stock-based ROMs. Or you mean the CAF AOSP build? How can I 'fix' something that is not even supposed to be there (and never will).

There's dozens of lockscreen replacement apps available in the Play Store you can use.

Guest KonstaT

not working import contacts from the device

Apps and should run slowly? or it can be fixed?

device ZTE Open C

Sorry, your post makes hardly any sense.

You mean importing SIM contacts? You could try one of the dozens of third party apps available on the Play Store to import SIM contacts. After doing that, it's recommended to upload your contacts to a cloud like everyone else does these days.

Nothing is running slow on my device (actually performs slightly better than KitKat) so I doubt there's anything to fix...

Guest X-NicON

I'm sorry.
Really everything works fine

Thank you very much for this rom!

I was happy with everything, but does not work:

import contacts "import from storage"    - сontacts app crashes

Camera: "Settings -> any menu item -> Back"   - camera app crashes

You mean importing SIM contacts? You could try one of the dozens of third party apps available on the Play Store to import SIM contacts. After doing that, it's recommended to upload your contacts to a cloud like everyone else does these days.

I understand that i can solve by other means, but you did not seek to make a stable version of this ROM? hence it is not necessary to wait for fixes?

A menu settings "Buttons", "Profiles", "Privacy" - your development, or CM, or from the default Android? I am wondering why they are not translated. (Russian)
Edited by X-NicON

Guest KonstaT

I understand that i can solve by other means, but you did not seek to make a stable version of this ROM? hence it is not necessary to wait for fixes?

A menu settings "Buttons", "Profiles", "Privacy" - your development, or CM, or from the default Android? I am wondering why they are not translated. (Russian)
You're completely missing the point. Like it says in the first post this is a very early preview and it was released roughly one week after CM12 even started to exist in the first place. All hardware is more or less working on this device and that's all I care about at this point. Not CyanogenMod features/bugs or translations - that's not my responsibility!

Because there's no translations on any language for any of the CyanogenMod additions. There's isn't even a community project for CM12 translations yet. Feel free to contribute when that happens though.

Patience please, Rome wasn't built in a day either.

Guest arifmams

i've been adding 'persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds' to /system/build.prop

but dual sim still not working on my v811w

Edited by arifmams

Guest KonstaT

i've been adding 'persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds' to /system/build.prop

but dual sim still not working on my v811w

Not surprising but thanks for testing anyway.

I've seen some CM12 ports to dual-SIM devices appear, but no idea how much local hacking that would require at this point. I'm sure the dual-SIM support will be included eventually.

Guest KonstaT

Is it possible to roll back to original Open-c KK Firmware via CWM after installing your CM12 Build?

Of course. Isn't that exactly what nandroid backups are for (restoring known working system configurations)...

Guest KonstaT

I never heared about nandroid backups before, they are new to me :)

Thanks ;-)

You really should be if you've ever installed a custom ROM to any device before. It's always the first thing you do before flashing anything to your device (make a backup in recovery of a working system configuration).

This ROM is still an early preview and just something for advanced users to play around with.

Guest al-xcartier

Advanced Reboot options (under Developer options) are gone, why?

And thank you very much for providing us w/ Lollipop in the first place.

Yours,

Alex

Edited by al-xcartier