This will definitely come in useful!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

I thought i'd give this a try (with small mods to make it work on the hudl2) and sure enough CWM boots and works fine. Obviously the usual constraints apply, it can't be flashed (it's a 'tethered recovery') and you mustn't flash a custom boot / recovery etc. due to the signing constraints, but it's deffo useful!

P

Guest George Styles

Good work!

So... was it

1. Never locked

2. Badly locked

3. You bought the tesco guys some beers and got the signing key ;-)

Obviously this means that if the developer will is there we can have Cyanogenmod type roms, but do you think

it will be possible to boot windows 8 on it ??? ive had my eye on the linx tablet and that seems to have pretty similar specs to our Hudl's, albeit i presume with a PC type BIOS / UEFI. Ive seen it aluded to that the Hudl has a UEFI "bios"... The Hudl also seems to have gps, and a MUCH better screen than the linx...

Anyway, if this is what it looks like my lovely hudl 2 has just got lovelier...

thanks for all yr work Paul..

cheers

g

Guest PaulOBrien

Good work!

So... was it

1. Never locked

2. Badly locked

3. You bought the tesco guys some beers and got the signing key ;-)

Obviously this means that if the developer will is there we can have Cyanogenmod type roms, but do you think

it will be possible to boot windows 8 on it ??? ive had my eye on the linx tablet and that seems to have pretty similar specs to our Hudl's, albeit i presume with a PC type BIOS / UEFI. Ive seen it aluded to that the Hudl has a UEFI "bios"... The Hudl also seems to have gps, and a MUCH better screen than the linx...

Anyway, if this is what it looks like my lovely hudl 2 has just got lovelier...

thanks for all yr work Paul..

cheers

g

Wooooah hold on there. See the above post. Option 4. Still locked. ;)

P

Guest George Styles

Aha.. just seen your 3rd post... very interesting.. im guessing that this makes it possible to root it without a full flash???

Are you gonna tell TEsco u have done this haha :)

g

Guest glossywhite

Well done Paul :)

I'd be over the moon to see Windows 8.1/10 TP2 running on this to squeeze the maximum potential and usefulness out of it. 

Edited by glossywhite

Guest r00tmydevices

I'd be over the moon to see Windows 8.1/10 TP2 running on this to squeeze the maximum potential and usefulness out of it.

Do you not fancy a cheap (circa £50) Linx tablet that comes with Windows pre-installed?

Guest glossywhite

Do you not fancy a cheap (circa £50) Linx tablet that comes with Windows pre-installed?

I do - are you selling one, then?

Edited by glossywhite

Guest PaulOBrien

Windows on a tablet makes it much less useful for me!

P

Guest stevehudl2

This is great news, being able to back up make all the difference!

Has this brought you any closer to installing a custom recovery perm or any closer with the bootloader or 2nd bootloader

Its really great and reassuring to see that you are still toying around with the H2 ,there is hope yet forus !

Guest PaulOBrien

This is great news, being able to back up make all the difference!

Has this brought you any closer to installing a custom recovery perm or any closer with the bootloader or 2nd bootloader

Its really great and reassuring to see that you are still toying around with the H2 ,there is hope yet forus !

No, no sign of being able to flash unsigned images as yet i'm afraid!

P

Guest r00tmydevices

cwm recovery, if you dont know what it is then you probably shouldnt try it

No doubt good advise! So after reading your reply, I did a search and read a few of the many things that cwm recovery allows a user to do on a wiki page. Makes more sense now and can see why Paul started this thread. Think I'm correct in thinking, all h2 users who have root are still unable to get the maximum benefit from this whilst Tesco have certain things firmly locked down.

Guest glossywhite

Flashing wrong images and making mistakes, bricking something (or temporarily believing you have) is good for the character, and teaches one to be self sufficient, as making such mistakes increases the need to rectify them, and then you get your hands dirty by doing so, learning new skills along the way. It's the same with taking things apart - I've been doing it since I was 5 years old, and yes - I've made lots of mistakes and had to throw a few things away, but if you're interested enough in how things work to want to modify and experiment with them, the learning process of making scary mistakes and thinking you've destroyed something, is a healthy way to learn invaluable skills - gradually you become self sufficient and pick things up rather quicker than you did beforehand.

This whole attitude of "if you don't know what you're doing, leave it alone" is a complete nonsense - it strengthens character and independence to be able to hack and repair things yourself by deduction, based on experience gained by what's been the case from past projects.

Go ahead and take risks; If something breaks, relish the opportunity you've been given to educate yourself in hands on repair and don't be out off by FUD merchants online, who cause you to depend on them by implying they've been imparted some "divine knowledge", the likes of which only they are blessed with. Anyone can learn these skills, you've just got to want to (obviously).

A prime example is the fact that many men know the intricacies and complex rules of computer games, but don't even know how to wire a simple 3 pin mains plug! I'm sure you don't all want to follow poorly written "tutorials" all your lives, surely?

Edited by glossywhite

Guest r00tmydevices

Whilst I haven't made it a habit of mine to take things apart and modify them etc. I have fully taken apart a couple of mobile phones in the past in order to replace faulty parts or to remove a SIM card adaptor that got stuck! Having the correct tools plus confidence that it would all go back together afterwards and work are two things that help!

Edited by r00tmydevices

The limited ability that cwm can offer us hudl2 users is great way better than the previous wilderness , probably even a simpler Root method - just playing with that now.

Although 'MoDaCo' is a great resource and collection of diverse levels of users which do or have experience of hudls or android it's not the centre of the universe and there's a whole world of 'additional and background' information out there just a Google (or whatever) search engine away.

I'm very much a member of the learning by 'trying and searching' camp - at the end of the day you learn more about AND around the subject. Breaking things happens it's how you deal with it, that matters.

Edited by Guest

Guest awarner

Lets keep things on topic about the actual purpose of the original topic, baiting, trolling about each other is pointless.

If you do not have anything to say about the actual subject then please don't say anything. 

• 2 months later...
Guest vampirefo

So can this flash SuperSU update .zip?

Lets hope we replace the old root method!

Yes that's how most of all intel's are rooted, is via my recovery.

And it will root this intel as well.

Edited by vampirefo