Sending back a rooted Hudl 2 for repair is safe and will not affect guarantee!

Guest Parababble

Guest Parababble

My son got given a Hudl 2 back in January because my old phone I gave him died.

I always root every android device we own so I do regular backups on games we play on SD card via Titanium Backup.

I rooted his Hudl 2 thanks to your guide immediatly so he can carry on where he left off with his saved games and to get the SD card function fully working.

However a few weeks ago he played on one game for the whole of the battery life. After charging it, the Hudl 2 decided to crash after 1 minute of powering on with a big graphic glitchy mess and a loud static noise (like a TV with no analogue signal). Also when swiching off the Hudl hard reset style (Hold Vol Up and Power Button for 10 secs) the tablet didn't switch on for ages which meant there was an actual hardware problem! After a while it turns back on normally but again after 1 min the same problem came up again!

So I had no choice but to send it back to Tesco's and obviously I couldn't unroot it in less than a minute. Had to phone up customer services, and they organised a courier to take it away to get it repaired (had it for more than 1 month). Of course I didn't mention it was rooted!

Courier took it away to the repair team and today got it back with a letter saying:

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thanks for sending your Hudl for repair. Our engineer has found the problem and fixed it. The work carried out is covered by the remainder of your manufacturer's warrenty or a 90-day guarantee, depending on which one is longest.

We've also installed the latest approved software. This should improve your Hudl's performance.

Regards

Tesco Repair Centre Manager.

Looks like I will be re-rooting it again later but they didn't care about the rooting part hee hee!

Guest CPN200

In your post, you talked about...

... to get the SD card function fully working...

Just wanted to mention that my wife and I both got Hudl2s recently and at the same time I purchased 2 x 64Gb micro SD cards for both of them which, with all current updates installed, function 100%... It's not necessary to root to get SD cards working is my point...

Guest crusader58

Looks like I will be re-rooting it again later but they didn't care about the rooting part hee hee!

I've not had any issues with my hudl2 so far, but this is good to know.

Guest Parababble

Out of interest, what firmware version did they install?

Don't keep your hopes up! They installed the latest Android 4.4.2 firmware Jan 6th 2015. Yeah I was hoping they'd secretly install Lollipop!

Had to re-root again but it's all working great again.

Another company that don't care about rooting is Carphone Warehouse repair centre. Had to get my phone fixed because it suddenly just switched off and didn't switch back on even when the battery was removed/replaced like a hard brick but a hardware problem. It was rooted with TWRP recovery. They did the repair, put latest firmware, factory reset and unrooted.