Start Up Problems

Guest simonccc

Guest simonccc

Hi

I have HUDL2 Kitkat 4.4.2 Build 20150319.222108.

I Rooted it recently with the instructions from another thread on this forum - everything was good.

Then used Titanium, intending to remove bloatware.

This is when my problems started - I think I must have removed some essential apps - possibly related to Google Play Services.

Problems are as follows:

1) Won't start up - Gets stuck on screen that says 'hudl' followed by a star. The star keeps fading in and out.

2) I can solve 1) with a factory reset, but at the end of the visual demo I get 'Unfortunately Setup Wizard has stopped (but I can still get in to Settings)

3) I get 'Unfortunately the process com.google.android.gms has stopped'

4) I get 'Unfortunately the process com.android.systemui has stopped'

5) I get 'Google Play Services, which some of your applications rely on is not supported by your device.

I've tried side loading Google Play Services but that made no difference. I've since learnt there are many versions of Google Play Services so I expect I tried the wrong one.

Which version do I need?

Any advice to get my HUDL2 up and running would be much appreciated!

Guest pudpoh

I would try reflashing the rooted firmware to your Hudl, it should restore the system partition and put back what you managed to delete.

Guest simonccc

I would try reflashing the rooted firmware to your Hudl, it should restore the system partition and put back what you managed to delete.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit new to all this. Does 'reflashing the rooted firmware' mean rooting it again, using the same process as detailed in the rooting thread?

Guest Robin Wheeler

I don't think you can because there is not a rooted image for the latest firmware only for previous ones at this point in time.

Guest simonccc

So what should I do next?

And will somebody with the same Buid (20150319.222108) please LMK which version of Google Play Services their device is using?

Guest bow9487

Hi

I have HUDL2 Kitkat 4.4.2 Build 20150319.222108.

I Rooted it recently with the instructions from another thread on this forum - everything was good.

Then used Titanium, intending to remove bloatware.

This is when my problems started - I think I must have removed some essential apps - possibly related to Google Play Services.

Problems are as follows:

1) Won't start up - Gets stuck on screen that says 'hudl' followed by a star. The star keeps fading in and out.

2) I can solve 1) with a factory reset, but at the end of the visual demo I get 'Unfortunately Setup Wizard has stopped (but I can still get in to Settings)

3) I get 'Unfortunately the process com.google.android.gms has stopped'

4) I get 'Unfortunately the process com.android.systemui has stopped'

5) I get 'Google Play Services, which some of your applications rely on is not supported by your device.

I've tried side loading Google Play Services but that made no difference. I've since learnt there are many versions of Google Play Services so I expect I tried the wrong one.

Which version do I need?

Any advice to get my HUDL2 up and running would be much appreciated!

Hey Simonccc, I created a Rooted /system Image for the latest OS Update. Should fix the problem. I haven't had time to test it yet and it was created with some of my bits and bobs on it. If you give me until tomorrow night ill create a new clean one and post/upload it to the Hudl 2 Root post. If it will help ill create a .Bat file to automate the process.

Guest cpressland

Hey Simonccc, I created a Rooted /system Image for the latest OS Update. Should fix the problem. I haven't had time to test it yet and it was created with some of my bits and bobs on it. If you give me until tomorrow night ill create a new clean one and post/upload it to the Hudl 2 Root post. If it will help ill create a .Bat file to automate the process.

I kinda did something similar to my Hudl 2, I Factory Restored it and now I can't get past the "Update Available" screen. It downloads the update, attempts to flash it, but can't because of some of the rooted modifications I'd made. It ends up in the boot loader with a dead Android with options to Erase System, Flash via ADB, External Storage etc.

I'm guessing the image you're going to pop up here will help as I can flash to the latest build. However. The ADB -i etc command just gets stuck on waiting for device. Any ideas?

Also - sorry for hijacking the thread.

Thanks!

Guest simonccc

That would be much appreciated - thanks!  Please include step by step instructions as I'm a newbie to all this.

Guest bow9487

@cpressland @simonccc

Im just about to wipe my Hudl 2 and reRoot/ Create a new /System.img for you guys. Should have it done in an hour or two.

Dont forget,

While your waiting to get all your drivers in order ADB and so on. Im running on a OSX at the moment and have already made a tool to flash the /system.img file so if either of you are using OSX then pop over to the Hudl 2 Root thread and download that tool ready. If your on windows the instructions are in the first post (by paul) in the Root thread. Ill try and make a Tool to auto mate the process after i have done the /System.img

and also right more detailed instructions.

@cpressland check your drivers looks like ADB driver isn't installed. When in bootloader type "ADB Devices" without quotes and see if your devices pops up. if not then you will need to reinstall your adb drivers. I just installed PDANet+ and it automates all the driver installation inc ADB. 

Edited by bow9487

Guest bow9487

**UPDATE**

Right guys i have just recovered the hudl2 back to factory settings, Rooted and am now as we speak creating the /system.img dump.

It can take a while due to the size, Just so you all know i'm currently in work while doing this and i only have mobile broadband available so the upload time is going to be a little while i suspect. 

Ok as i was typing this the system.img dump.......well dumped so its on its was uploading to mega now. Its 2GB so will take a while. Ill wright up a "How to" while its uploading.

Guest bow9487

****First of all, I am in no way responsible for you device bricking or marriage falling apart ****
*******or crazy monkeys with top hates ruining your life due to this guide of any files in it.******

Ok now thats out of the way :-)

Things you will need:
1. ADB drivers installed (pdaNet+ works well) Click Here
2. Paul's ADB & Fastboot tool (Post 1 of "How to root your Hudl 2) Click Here
3. The /System.img (Android-build.20150319.222108-System-image) Click Here

Step one:

Install all drivers and ADB Drivers (pdaNet+ will do this for you)

Step two:

Extract the ADB & Fastboot tool zip  to the Computers desktop and place the system.img in that folder

Step Three:

Open the extracted folder "adbfastboothudl" hold "SHIFT" on your keyboard and right 
click on some empty space in the folder, Then click "Open Command Window Here"

Step four:

Enable "USB Debugging" (In developer options)

Step five:

Connect your Hudl 2 in to your computer with the Hudl 2 USB cable that came with your tablet.
WAIT a few seconds for your computer to recognise the Hudl and install the drivers (the tablet may pop up
with an authorisation request, click yes)

Step six:

Back in the command window type "ADB-Windows Devices" without quotes (the tablet may pop up

At this point your device ID should come up like this

List of devices attached
123232423PE387263 device

If you see this then you are ready to flash the Root /System.img

Step seven:

Type in the comand window

"adb-windows reboot bootloader" without quotes and hit ENTER

Then wait untill the Hudl enters Bootloader, Then type

"Fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img"  without quotes and hit ENTER

Once you have hit that second ENTER for the love of god do not stop it. It can take a while so let it do its thing. 
It can take a while, Don't clock watch go make a cuppa.

Hope it helps guys. I know its a lot of steps but i have tried to make it as Noob friendly as possible.

Edited by bow9487

Guest simonccc

****First of all, I am in no way responsible for you device bricking or marriage falling apart ****

*******or crazy monkeys with top hates ruining your life due to this guide of any files in it.******

Ok now thats out of the way :-)

Things you will need:

1. ADB drivers installed (pdaNet+ works well)

2. Paul's ADB & Fastboot tool (Post 1 of "How to root your Hudl 2)

3. The /System.img (Android-build.20150319.222108-System-image)

Step one:

Install all drivers and ADB Drivers (pdaNet+ will do this for you)

Step two:

Extract the ADB & Fastboot tool zip  to the Computers desktop and place the system.img in that folder

Step Three:

Open the extracted folder "adbfastboothudl" hold "SHIFT" on your keyboard and right 

click on some empty space in the folder, Then click "Open Command Window Here"

Step four:

Enable "USB Debugging" (In developer options)

Step five:

Connect your Hudl 2 in to your computer with the Hudl 2 USB cable that came with your tablet.

WAIT a few seconds for your computer to recognise the Hudl and install the drivers (the tablet may pop up

Step six:

Back in the command window type "ADB-Windows Devices" without quotes (the tablet may pop up

At this point your device ID should come up like this

List of devices attached

123232423PE387263 device

If you see this then you are ready to flash the Root /System.img

Step seven:

Type in the comand window

"adb-windows reboot bootloader" without quotes and hit ENTER

Then wait untill the Hudl enters Bootloader, Then type

"Fastboot-windows -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img"  without quotes and hit ENTER

Once you have hit that second ENTER for the love of god do not stop it. It can take a while so let it do its thing. 

It can take a while, Don't clock watch go make a cuppa.

Hope it helps guys. I know its a lot of steps but i have tried to make it as Noob friendly as possible.

Many thanks for that.

I'll give it a go when I've got more time tomorrow, and I'll report back.

Guest samac

@bow9847

Your image is 2.0GB what changes are there? Are there extra packages? Removed packages? Is this just the Tesco stock image or is it a custom image?

samac

Guest cpressland

Hi,

No luck so far, it looks like the Hudl will only boot back into sideload mode

Chris-MacBook-Pro:adbfastboothudl cpressland$ ./adb-mac devices
List of devices attached 
071014PE5052264	sideload

When trying to issue the fastboot flash command I get the following:

Chris-MacBook-Pro:adbfastboothudl cpressland$ ./fastboot-mac -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img 
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
< waiting for device >

The problem is, I can't actually get past the Update Prompt to enable Debugging over USB to issue the "./adb-mac reboot bootloader" command. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Guest bow9487

@bow9847

Your image is 2.0GB what changes are there? Are there extra packages? Removed packages? Is this just the Tesco stock image or is it a custom image?

samac

No changes, Just stock Rooted. Dump of img dump of system.

Guest simonccc

I have a problem at Step 6 - When I enter 'ADB-Windows Devices', on my PC I get 2 pages of stuff I don't understand, followed by the command prompt.

Guest bow9487

Hi,

List of devices attached 
071014PE5052264	sideload

Chris-MacBook-Pro:adbfastboothudl cpressland$ ./fastboot-mac -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img 
< waiting for device >

The problem is, I can't actually get past the Update Prompt to enable Debugging over USB to issue the "./adb-mac reboot bootloader" command. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Give me half an hour and ill see what i can do. 

Guest bow9487

I have a problem at Step 6 - When I enter 'ADB-Windows Devices', on my PC I get 2 pages of stuff I don't understand, followed by the command prompt.

Is it a list of ADB Commands?

Guest simonccc

Is it a list of ADB Commands?

The first line is:

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

In the middle it lists 'device commands'

The last line is:

bug tags are printed

Guest bow9487

Yeah seems to be adb commands. Are you using the ADB tools from Pauls post? are you opening the command window at the extracted file location?

Guest bow9487

Hi,

List of devices attached 
071014PE5052264	sideload

< waiting for device >

Thanks!

try ./fastboot-mac flash system system.img 

Im going to have a play and see what i can do now. Im having to boot camp between windows and Mac to troubleshoot people who have issues on both 

Guest cpressland

See post 396 in the sticky root thread.

This works, I have used it when the last update did this to me!

That did it for me! Thanks robin0800 & bow9487! Really appreciate everything! One working device :).