Hudl 2 optimization tips

Guest MucuCat

Guest MucuCat

Do you guys have any optimization tips for a new hudl 2 owner?

like lowering the max cpu value or something else? i mostly care for battery performance.

Guest crusader58

The first thing to do is disable Daydream and Data ( under settings ), I also disable Auto Sync in Backup/Restore as this eats at the battery but you'll have to manually check your email. If you haven't already done so, change to another Launcher ( I use Apex Launcher, others are Nova and Google ) and set it as your default launcher then disable the Tesco one. By far the biggest battery hog is the screen, I find that keeping the brightness below 50% makes quite a difference. I downloaded an app from the Play Store called TopNTP, this allows you to change the NTP server and other settings related to GPS and TIME, instructions are included within the app but just experiment to find your optimum setting...I've not experienced any Time sync issues since using this app.Whenever you aren't using Bluetooth turn it off and also go to Settings and force close the Bluetooth Share app (it's another battery hog).

There are other optimizations that I've made, but the above should help you out. Oh, one more thing...keep GPS turned off as this eats the battery like there's no tomorrow...If you use Google Play Store, open it up and go to the Settings page, turn off Auto Updating ( this is another battery hog ).

Edited by crusader58

Guest CPN200

Presumably you are talking about disabling stuff on a ROOTED Hudl? You can NOT disable the Tesco Launcher on a non-rooted Hudl and since he calls himself "a new Hudl 2 owner", I suspect he won't be rooted...

Guest mrrog

goto wifi advanced settings, make sure that optimization is ticked, and change 'keep wifi on during sleep' to never, you get a bit of a start up hit with this but to compensate i keep the device at 5 mins timeout and make sure i switch off when not going to use for a period

Guest crusader58

Presumably you are talking about disabling stuff on a ROOTED Hudl? You can NOT disable the Tesco Launcher on a non-rooted Hudl and since he calls himself "a new Hudl 2 owner", I suspect he won't be rooted...

Yes I overlooked that, but he can still change the launcher and set new launcher as default which will save some battery use as the Tesco widgets will no longer be running.

Guest MucuCat

of course the tablet is rooted. the first thing i did when i got it 1h ago. what about lowering the screen resolution to 720p? i know that there is an app for that. i read that if you lower the resolution the graphic performace is increased dramatically. and thank you all for the great tips. :)

Guest crusader58

Another thing worth changing is the Keyboard, the Google keyboard phones home far too frequently, which obviously impacts the battery..there are some good alternatives available, many of which are free.

Guest EananC

Ok since its rooted get these apps:

Greenify. Use it to hibernate battery draining apps.

Amplify - Needs xposed installed. helps with wakelocks

Wakelock detector

Bootmanager. Stop apps booting at the start of tablet boot.

Guest MucuCat

thank you guys for all the tips.

how much screen on time do you get guys? screen takes 80% of all the power on my tablet and i got around 3,5h of screen on time (this was my first chrge)

Guest crusader58

thank you guys for all the tips.

how much screen on time do you get guys? screen takes 80% of all the power on my tablet and i got around 3,5h of screen on time (this was my first chrge)

80% is quite normal, just remember to reduce brightness to below 50% whenever ambient lighting conditions permit. Don't use auto brightness as it increases battery usage due to fact that it's continually polling to sensor.

Guest MucuCat

80% is quite normal, just remember to reduce brightness to below 50% whenever ambient lighting conditions permit. Don't use auto brightness as it increases battery usage due to fact that it's continually polling to sensor.

i have brightness on lowest possible